T Nation

Pat Robertson 2000 Lb. Leg Press

Over on his cbn.com site Pat says he can leg press that much!

I found a formula for leg press weight to squat weight.

It is leg press x .707 equals squat pounds

2000 x .707 = 1414 pounds.

I haven’t been around that long, has anyone ever squated 1414?

Do you think a seventy-something man could do that?

Will televangelist Pat Robertson still get into heaven if he is a liar?

Is Pat Robertson mentally ill??

you may have misplaced your decimal on that percentage. Move it one to the left. Not to mention the range of motion issues associated with the leg press, who knows what the guy is actually doing.

[quote]powerbui1der wrote:
you may have misplaced your decimal on that percentage. Move it one to the left. Not to mention the range of motion issues associated with the leg press, who knows what the guy is actually doing.[/quote]

If I understand you? Multiply by .0707 instead of .707?

2000 leg press

2000 x .0707 = 141.4 pounds squat

Maybe I don’t understand what you’re saying?

[quote]powerbui1der wrote:
you may have misplaced your decimal on that percentage. Move it one to the left. Not to mention the range of motion issues associated with the leg press, who knows what the guy is actually doing.[/quote]

The decimal is fine on a 45 degree sled the force is the weight times the SIN of 45 degrees (.707 approx). As far as that translating to a squat poundage it really does not work because there are too many numerous variables between the two.

But the work done is simply the weight X SIN45 x vertical distance traveled. (the horizontal component is generally not considered in simple calculations) Also not considering coefficient of friction in the mechanism itself.

I have no idea if he is mentally ill but I do think he is crazy. :wink:

Christopher

[quote]morepain wrote:
powerbui1der wrote:
you may have misplaced your decimal on that percentage. Move it one to the left. Not to mention the range of motion issues associated with the leg press, who knows what the guy is actually doing.

The decimal is fine on a 45 degree sled the force is the weight times the SIN of 45 degrees (.707 approx). As far as that translating to a squat poundage it really does not work because there are too many numerous variables between the two.

But the work done is simply the weight X SIN45 x vertical distance traveled. (the horizontal component is generally not considered in simple calculations) Also not considering coefficient of friction in the mechanism itself.

[/quote]

I got this info on another weight training site.

The sin 45 is what they started out with and converted it to the .707.

I know very little about training and even less math.

My question: has anyone ever squated 1414 pounds?

Thanks.

The formula only deals with the work… not the ability to squat something like that.

It’s a different movement, different stability issues, different muscle involvements.

The bigget question is, who gives a crap what Pat says he can do on his web site. Especially if it’s a leg press claim.

[quote]chsbob wrote:
My question: has anyone ever squated 1414 pounds?
[/quote]

No.

The strongest men alive have yet to squat 1400lbs even in their triple steel ply suits.

[quote]vroom wrote:
The formula only deals with the work… not the ability to squat something like that.

It’s a different movement, different stability issues, different muscle involvements.

The bigget question is, who gives a crap what Pat says he can do on his web site. Especially if it’s a leg press claim.[/quote]

I never let a chance go by when I can praise PR and the rest of the televanglists.

eh, I don’t care what he can press or squat so long as the good lord strikes him down some day. Soon.

It was on an inverted 45 degree leg press.

I’ll give you guys a couple minutes to think about that.

[quote]morepain wrote:
[/quote]

Just to keep the science straight, Work = weightTOTAL_distanceSIN(angle) (upto a factor that depends on units).

[quote]skor wrote:
morepain wrote:

Just to keep the science straight, Work = weightTOTAL_distanceSIN(angle) (upto a factor that depends on units).[/quote]

duh, that goes without saying. :wink:

And here is Pat’s Age Defying Shakes, undoubtedly used to give him the strength to leg press 2,000 pounds:
[i]
6 - 8 ounces of orange juice (water, other fruit juices, low-fat or skim milk can be substituted)
*5 tablespoons soy protein isolate
*5 tablespoons whey protein isolate
2 tablespoons natural apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon flaxseed oil
1 tablespoon safflower oil

In a standard blender, combine the above ingredients. Blend until the shake is smooth and the ice cubes are crushed. [/i]

Soy protein isolate. Somebody alert Dave Tate that the answer to any strength gain issues is his lack of soy protein isolate. And only 5 tablespoons! Who needs god when you’ve got soy!!

[quote]skor wrote:
morepain wrote:

Just to keep the science straight, Work = weightTOTAL_distanceSIN(angle) (upto a factor that depends on units).[/quote]

TRUE - its been awhile since statics and dynamics

Maybe he got the decimal in the wrong spot.

Apparently Dan Kendra (enormous QB turned FB a while back) set the Florida State record in the leg press at 1,335 pounds. The capillaries in his eyes burst during the lift. And Pat Robertson beat him by almost 50%? Sure. “Thou shalt not lie” is apparently not in fashion in the televangelist set.

Here is a link where you can access video of Pat “leg pressing” around 1000 pounds.

http://www.cbn.com/communitypublic/shake.asp

What you will see is Pat doing very short range partial reps. This can hardly be called a legitimate lift. He is also using his arms against his legs to help move the weight.

[quote]squatdude wrote:
Here is a link where you can access video of Pat “leg pressing” around 1000 pounds.

http://www.cbn.com/communitypublic/shake.asp

What you will see is Pat doing very short range partial reps. This can hardly be called a legitimate lift. He is also using his arms against his legs to help move the weight.[/quote]

Those are some pretty horrific presses…although at his age alot of guys can’t move period, so good for him.

Didn’t you guys know that Pat is in training to assassinate Pres. Chavez?

Apparently he has been workout out with some expert Ninja instructors form Finland. They have taught him how to do 2000+ leg presses without having his legs buckle backwards or his kneecaps turn into missile hazards.

His real strength secret though?..It comes from his hair.