Pat Mendes Comeback

And doing it at what looks like a 24 hr fitness! I also saw a video today of him squatting 210 kg pretty easily. Broz says he’s likely to stay in the 105’s, I’m looking forward to seeing if he can challenge any American records and make some national teams.

That looked pretty bad to me for a guy who had previously snatched 200+.

WTF is he doing at that gym? Why isn’t he at ABG?

He’s apparently working in Texas saving money for his run at Rio. But honestly a couple months out of surgery, a weight class down, and likely free from steroids, I’m surprised he’s even hitting 130.

This is absolutely embarrassing that a top athlete like Mendes has to be holding down a job to save up for the Olympics yet Lance Fraudstrong had all the time and money in the world to pull off the disgrace he did…so sad.

I’d add to the above two comments that having to train at a “fitness center” adds insult to injury, and humiliating insult, at that.

It pains me to watch that video.

Lifting in that kind of environment with the sappy pop music and clueless people milling around, on rubber flooring and not a proper platform, with what probably is a crappy bar, having to place the bar down, and all the while probably having to worry lest someone walk right into the bar – given all that, 130 kg is not so bad. But if he has to continue to train there, he’ll never get close to where he was before.

Yeah hopefully he doesn’t have to put up with these conditions for long, and I agree it’s a shame that weightlifting hasn’t reach the level of exposure to be profitable for major companies to be supporting these athletes. I really like what companies like MDUSA are doing by giving athletes a stipend to be able to lift full-time, though it’d be cool to see some bigger companies like Rogue, Nike, etc show them some love

[quote]DmitryKlokovFan wrote:
This is absolutely embarrassing that a top athlete like Mendes has to be holding down a job to save up for the Olympics yet Lance Fraudstrong had all the time and money in the world to pull off the disgrace he did…so sad.[/quote]

Mendes has never been a top athlete. Sorry.

It certainly would be nicer if the top weightlifters would get good stipends.

But I would point out that in Pat’s case, the US could give the top 30 lifters $50,000 a year and Pat still wouldn’t get any money as he’s in the middle of a suspension due to growth hormone usage.

I’m looking forward to seeing him back at ABG later in the year, will be interesting to see what he can do in the next few years

This is absolutely embarrassing that a top athlete like Mendes has to be holding down a job to save up for the Olympics yet Lance Fraudstrong had all the time and money in the world to pull off the disgrace he did…so sad.[/quote]

You do know Mendes used drugs right? So if that’s your bone of contention with Lance, you better start calling Mendes a fraud too.

[quote]no_name_narrator wrote:
He’s apparently working in Texas saving money for his run at Rio. But honestly a couple months out of surgery, a weight class down, and likely free from steroids, I’m surprised he’s even hitting 130.[/quote]

This is pretty true. From my vantage point I was more commenting on his form than anything else. I am admittedly nowhere near an elite WL coach, but that looked pretty…unpolished regardless.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:

You do know Mendes used drugs right? So if that’s your bone of contention with Lance, you better start calling Mendes a fraud too. [/quote]

Yes I know, thank you very much.

Difference is that he didn’t go out of his way to deny he used PEDs opr sue other people to cover his tracks.

I haven’t followed him lately. What is he coming back from? Did he get injured?

Something wrong with a tendon in his leg. Not sure which one, but had it surgically repaired recently.

So, if you are taking roids it isn’t dopping? Interesting.
Second, a big part of top athlletes aren’t very clean, he just did what others did.
He hás done way more than any of us, after beating cancer he fought back to win the tour 7 times in a row, such a coward…
He was man enough to admit what he did knowing that probably his titles would be taken from him,
And you are just a pussy sitting on the couch talking shit about true men

he had a labral tear repaired, he is still fresh off surgery what do you guys expect? most people are happy to be doing a light jog at that stage usually

That video was his 2nd time snatching in 5 months. Of course it’s going to be unpolished.

He hit 134 recently and it looked a bit smoother.

[quote]ishinator wrote:
That video was his 2nd time snatching in 5 months. Of course it’s going to be unpolished.

He hit 134 recently and it looked a bit smoother.

If he stays healthy and in the 105s, we could be in for a good battle with him and Donovan Ford coming off a really good Pam Am performance

[quote]no_name_narrator wrote:
If he stays healthy and in the 105s, we could be in for a good battle with him and Donovan Ford coming off a really good Pam Am performance[/quote]

I don’t see it. Donovan Ford just hit 170/201 at Pan Ams and based on a handful of the videos I’ve seen come out of the OTC I think he could very well be good for more right now, never mind the fact he’s still only 23 and improving. Pat’s best competition lifts were 177/212 I think (at nationals 2011) as a super, and he’s the same age as Donovan I think. I just don’t see Pat catching him, though I would love for him to prove me wrong. A 134 snatch at a spandex gym won’t convince me though.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
A 134 snatch at a spandex gym won’t convince me though.[/quote]

Hahahaha zing.

I’ve always been a Broz fan for some reason though, so I find myself cheering for him as well.