Pat Mendes 207 kg Snatch

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
If I am wrong, please explain why and also please accept my apologies.

But the “Unofficial World Record” tag really pisses me off.

This record isn’t unofficial because there is no record.
You do not set any weightlifting records with straps, you do not set or break records without officials, even unofficial ones.

An unofficial record would imply that all criteria a genuine record requires would be met, and then something went wrong that is not the lifter’s fault.

You cannot just alter any rules, regulations or enviroments and then call it an “unofficial record.”

If I deadlifted 1200 pounds with a suit, wraps, reverse bands, straps and what not, and then called it “unofficial raw world record”, you guys would kill me … for good reason.[/quote]

And that lift still wouldn’t be more impressive than a 207 snatch w/straps. How many Americans (drugfree or not), (w/straps or not) have snatched over 200?

Quit hating something that you will never come within 50, maybe even 100 kilos of doing.

[quote]Crow wrote:

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

You do not set any weightlifting records with straps, you do not set or break records without officials, even unofficial ones.

An unofficial record would imply that all criteria a genuine record requires would be met, and then something went wrong that is not the lifter’s fault.

You cannot just alter any rules, regulations or enviroments and then call it an “unofficial record.”

If I deadlifted 1200 pounds with a suit, wraps, reverse bands, straps and what not, and then called it “unofficial raw world record”, you guys would kill me … for good reason.[/quote]

And that lift still wouldn’t be more impressive than a 207 snatch w/straps. How many Americans (drugfree or not), (w/straps or not) have snatched over 200?

Quit hating something that you will never come within 50, maybe even 100 kilos of doing.[/quote]
First of all, you don’t know me and don’t know what I am capable of doing.
Second, I am not hating, I just don’t like it when people try to get praise they do not deserve.

See, “unofficial world record”, how does Broz know that there isn’t a 15 year old boy somewhere out there snatching 210 with straps in his basement right this second?

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

[quote]Crow wrote:

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

Quit hating something that you will never come within 50, maybe even 100 kilos of doing.[/quote]
First of all, you don’t know me and don’t know what I am capable of doing.
Second, I am not hating, I just don’t like it when people try to get praise they do not deserve.

See, “unofficial world record”, how does Broz know that there isn’t a 15 year old boy somewhere out there snatching 210 with straps in his basement right this second?[/quote]

You’re right I don’t know you, but I’m pretty confident you can’t snatch 207 or even 187, or most likely even 157. 207 is a truly world class lift. Whats the all time world record, 219 or there about? Trust me there is no 15yrs old kid snatching 210 anywhere, not even on the moon. BTW my best is only 115, so I am awe struck by such a great lift.

[quote]Crow wrote:
Trust me there is no 15yrs old kid snatching 210 anywhere, not even on the moon.
[/quote]
I believe this is exactly what Broz wants you to believe, that there is not one lifter better than Pat. Let’s see him do it in competition, without straps, like everybody else. Training and competiton are two completely different ball games.

Greg Paige knocked down Mike Tyson in sparring twenty years ago, would the same have happened on a real fight night?

Actions speak louder than words, and in my opinion, a Youtube vid is not action.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

[quote]Crow wrote:
Trust me there is no 15yrs old kid snatching 210 anywhere, not even on the moon.
[/quote]
I believe this is exactly what Broz wants you to believe, that there is not one lifter better than Pat. Let’s see him do it in competition, without straps, like everybody else. Training and competiton are two completely different ball games.

Greg Paige knocked down Mike Tyson in sparring twenty years ago, would the same have happened on a real fight night?

Actions speak louder than words, and in my opinion, a Youtube vid is not action.[/quote]

Since your an expert (don’t say you’re not, you sure have an opinion) post one of your videos. I actually follow the sport dude. I can tell you no other American can snatch 207 in training/competition, with or without straps.

^^^^

crow…I don’t think people are hating…I know I am not. I have said it before, this kid(mendez) is a man among men in the strength game. all I had to see was that insane 800lb squat.

but I think many here, like myself, have been watching this kids lifts on youtube foe a while now, and we just want (emphasize want) to seem him in competition, where it counts.

[quote]heavythrower wrote:
^^^^

crow…I don’t think people are hating…I know I am not. I have said it before, this kid(mendez) is a man among men in the strength game. all I had to see was that insane 800lb squat.

but I think many here, like myself, have been watching this kids lifts on youtube foe a while now, and we just want (emphasize want) to seem him in competition, where it counts.

[/quote]

I can appreciate that desire to want him to compete. I totally agree with you. I’m just tired of hearing the whining about possible steroid use, strap use, not being a member of USAW, all of the internet experts’ opinions on what he should or shouldn’t do. He is his own man, I’m sure Broz has a plan for him. His training methods are obviously working, so lets all just sit back and watch him develop. He will compete him he wants, after all that is his business not ours.

I agree with you to a point. If somebody who is just lifting in their garage for example, and has no plans of competing, wants to post some of his/her big lifts just for kicks, personal accomplishment reasons, fine.

but broz’s gym is a gym for competitive weightlifters.

and he often references official world records, so I think the argument that this kid needs to hit some of these lifts in a meet is valid.

I love watching his videos, as well as some of the other lifters at Broz’s gym. great stuff.

so I am not hating…not sure what else I can say…

who says you need to be an expert to have an opinion?

The kid is the strongest American weightlifter right now, and will be for some time most likely. But he needs to do 190+ in competition, without straps for the sake of this country, lol.

And for the record I don’t think John Broz is trying to stir up any controversy with his putting ‘unofficial world record for an American’ on the youtube video… he just typed what came to mind, simple as that. Some of you guys are reading into this too much.

I hope for the sake of sport everywhere he dosn’t test positive and for weightlifting and him that he can produce a lift like that in competition. This video just shows that he is capable of lifting 207kg in a competition environment there are a lot of other things going on. We shall see in time what happens. Just respect the fact that he is an amazing athlete.

I think that’s the bottom line. Pat’s training is insane. He is a hardcore, devoted lifter. I think most of this controversy is unnecessary. Remember that he is very young.

Generally they all do more in training…they are at there peak with nutrition and everything else besides stress.

Everyone needs to get over this “he’s going to be the best American weightlifter” bullshit. The kid already said that he would compete for Brazil over America because they’d pay him. He also already said that he only lifts because he’s good at it and not because he enjoys the sport. Not to mention the fact that he has no responsibilities whatsoever. He doesn’t have a job, doesn’t go to school and somehow he still can’t make time to compete or do anything noteworthy in competition. He lives at home and just lifts every day with a coach doing nothing but focusing on improving him 24/7, and that’s all he’s been doing the last 6 years.

It’s bullshit the way he and Broz market themselves on youtube as if this gym lift counts as a legitimate record. I doubt this kid ever does anything in competition. He’s done nothing so far to lead me to believe that he will. He’s just some kid who has a ton of impressive videos of himself hitting big numbers in the gym on youtube.

When he goes to a meet, tests clean and THEN hits these numbers in an actual meet, I’ll give him credit for it. Until then, he and Broz need to stop talking like he’s already an accomplished lifter. There are countless gym heros and meet zeros. He’s only 20, isn’t regularly competing and he’s already coming up with injury excuses. He’ll never have less responsibilities than he has now, have more time to lift than he has now and be able to train as hard/recover as well as he is right now.

This post probably comes off as hating, but I don’t mean any of this in that way. Regardless of the circumstances, it goes without saying I’m impressed by the lifts he’s done in the gym. I was particularly impressed by that raw squat video where I think he hit 800 lbs. Those impressive lifts, however, don’t make up for all the stupid shit Broz says in interviews in Mendes’ name or all of the dissapointing flaws in Mendes’ character. When I first saw his videos, I was hopeful he would do big things for the U.S.A., but now I really don’t give a fuck about him. He’ll compete for Brazil to make some cash before representing the country that made him what he is today. There’s no other word for that but dissapointing.

I don’t know about any of you, but one of my favorite things about many weightlifters is the pride they have for their countries and their desire to represent them. I think those are the people/lifts that will be talked about and remembered 100 years from now, not some 20 y/o who never competed but put every decent lift he ever did on youtube and treated them all like they were the real thing.

[quote]UrbanSavage wrote:
I was hopeful he would do big things for the U.S.A., but now I really don’t give a fuck about him. He’ll compete for Brazil to make some cash before representing the country that made him what he is today. There’s no other word for that but dissapointing.

I don’t know about any of you, but one of my favorite things about many weightlifters is the pride they have for their countries and their desire to represent them. I think those are the people/lifts that will be talked about and remembered 100 years from now, not some 20 y/o who never competed but put every decent lift he ever did on youtube and treated them all like they were the real thing. [/quote]

Of course he’s going to follow the money, that’s obvious. His pride in American weightlifting won’t pay bills in the future. And let’s face it, Americans don’t take a lot of interest in their weightlifters anyway. You cannot compare the environment Pat is lifting in to countries where lifters are supported and truly respected (look at the Baltic states). And really no one is saying he’s the real thing, but he is undoubtedly a noteworthy weightlifter/althete.

Many people live at home, have great support from families, access to decent gyms/coaches - but how many get to Pat’s level at all? I mean, the kid has basically missed out on life altogether to pursue his ambitions, and he deserves some credit for that simple fact, regardless of his character/intentions. I’ll admit it, in the interview he sounds like a bit of a dick, but he isn’t a personality. He’s someone who has worked very hard, and in today’s world of bored, lazy, disaffected young people - he is exceptional

This post probably comes off as hating, but I don’t mean any of this in that way. [/quote]
LOL you have an odd definition of hate then, because I only read a couple sentences that weren’t bashing/insulting/resentful.

When I first saw his videos, I was hopeful he would do big things for the U.S.A., but now I really don’t give a fuck about him. He’ll compete for Brazil to make some cash before representing the country that made him what he is today. There’s no other word for that but dissapointing. [/quote]
How exactly did the US ‘make him what is today’? Is he somehow property of US since he has citizenship here?

I don’t know about any of you, but one of my favorite things about many weightlifters is the pride they have for their countries and their desire to represent them.[/quote]
This makes no sense. He has dual citizenship so he could technically represent his heritage with either. By the way, discrediting a lifter because of something this petty is this pretty much is the definition of hating. I don’t think anyone cares that Suley, Dimas, Khaki, Steiner (and countless others) didn’t represent their home countries and became successful in the sport…except haters.

I don’t know about any of you, but one of my favorite things about many weightlifters is the pride they have for their countries and their desire to represent them.[/quote]
This makes no sense. He has dual citizenship so he could technically represent his heritage with either. By the way, discrediting a lifter because of something this petty is this pretty much is the definition of hating. I don’t think anyone cares that Suley, Dimas, Khaki, Steiner (and countless others) didn’t represent their home countries and became successful in the sport…except haters.
[/quote]

although naim, dimas, kahki and steiner actually moved to the country that they were representing and became truly great in there adopted country. (except for kahki and naim, who were actually better in there original countries.

I’m not hating on him at all. That would imply he’s accomplished something notable and legitimate for me to hate on, and he hasn’t. I only brought up the fact that he was planning on competing for Brazil because half of the responses in here praise him as the biggest prospect for the future of American weightlifting, which he is not. People should know that before they give him a ton of support. As shown in this very thread, it’s important to people what country a lifter represents.

I didn’t even disrespect him, and nothing I mentioned was petty at all. The things I brought up are very relevant to his character and what kind of person he is. They’re also relevant to what kind of potential he has and how far he could go in the sport.

And seriously? Asking me how the U.S. made him into what he is today? SERIOUSLY?

I absolutely can compare the environment Pat’s lifting in to other countries. Look how many people know about him already and are discussing him, and he’s done NOTHING. People are talking about him like he’s going to be the face of American weightlifting because of YOUTUBE VIDEOS. He’s getting more than enough credit and support for where he’s at.

As far as I’m concerned, he’s olympic lifting’s version of Kimbo (still not hating, this is a completely valid comparison).

I do have trouble really supporting an athlete who doesn’t really love and believe in the sport.

All the talk about competing is fairly irrelevant now though, he’s not going to be taken to the olympics by any country by virtue of youtube videos. If he’s serious he’s most likely going to have to compete in this years worlds to secure a spot as it’s not like he’s competed in anything noteworthy before. Which means he has to put up big weights in a competition before then. So really we are almost certainly going to be seeing him in competition in the next 6 months or so

Roll on 6months and I want to see him compete in a Comp :smiley:

Koing

See, “unofficial world record”, how does Broz know that there isn’t a 15 year old boy somewhere out there snatching 210 with straps in his basement right this second?[/quote]

If there is a 15 year old snatching 210 Kg he’s half gorilla and should be busy fighting crime not lifting