Pat Mendes 207 kg Snatch

Don’t know whether he says “I’m so good” or “Oh, so good” at the end. Either would be appropriate.

awesome. He didn’t compete after that b/c he injured his shoulder on that snatch, which is understandable when you catch it forward, especially with that heavy of a weight.

it is pretty amazing stuff regardless, but the way he RIPS the bar from the floor makes me feel like hes getting at least 5-10 kgs more due to the straps.

its like those stories of Botev clean and jerking 270 at 110 in training, but then never even coming close to that in any competition, even at 120 body-weight.

I’m starting to get the mindset that what ever someone lifts in training doesn’t mean jack shit, and although im sure Pat doesn’t care what I think, I just cant take him seriously until he does 90+% of his youtube videos in an actual tested competition.

Good point about the straps. I know Pat can lift some big lifts in competition, but for me personally I know lifting a heavy snatch without straps is different ball game. With straps you don’t have to worry about grip and it also seems easier to keep the right bar path.

[quote]tork94 wrote:
it is pretty amazing stuff regardless…

I’m starting to get the mindset that what ever someone lifts in training doesn’t mean jack shit, and although im sure Pat doesn’t care what I think, I just cant take him seriously until he does 90+% of his youtube videos in an actual tested competition.[/quote]

I agree - while this is impressive, it is a little disappointing that all the US lifters are ‘youtube’ champions but end up shitting the bed at meets - we even sent two injured guys to World’s this year. Need to keep these guys healthy and READY for meet day.

Here’s to hoping Mendes, Shankle, Farris, Adell can stay healthy.

hate to agree…I am now a skeptic. Not hating at all, it is just that I want this kid SO bad to medal in international competition and get American weightlifting back on the map so bad, I am getting frustrated by all the insane youtube lifts and no official competition records to go along with it. ugh.

207kgs is indeed a lot of weight. BUT…what’s the deal with “World Jr.” record stuff? Nobody gets medals for unofficial records based on videos. You guys are going to end up being the laughingstock of the lifting community if you keep up this youtube competition stuff.

And don’t think that I don’t want to see kids like Pat Mendes succeed. Even though I’m not an American I’d love to see some success that would lift the sport in the US. Next time Pat or another American lifter goes to an international meet, I will cheer for him(them).

Until they participate (and succeed) in a real contest, please refrain from showing off their supposed exploits! Get them on an IWF platform and let’s cheer them on!

[quote]KGeorge wrote:
207kgs is indeed a lot of weight. BUT…what’s the deal with “World Jr.” record stuff? Nobody gets medals for unofficial records based on videos.[/quote]

Where is he asking for a medal or calling it an official record? Broz is simply posting a training video with weights that exceed the current record. I don’t understand what the issue is here; I personally love to watch training videos of other lifters for motivation and to study technique.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:

[quote]KGeorge wrote:
207kgs is indeed a lot of weight. BUT…what’s the deal with “World Jr.” record stuff? Nobody gets medals for unofficial records based on videos.[/quote]

Where is he asking for a medal or calling it an official record? Broz is simply posting a training video with weights that exceed the current record. I don’t understand what the issue is here; I personally love to watch training videos of other lifters for motivation and to study technique.[/quote]

I agree. I mean if you’re filmed lifting a weight which would (were it official) break current records, that fact is probably going to be mentioned

tork94 - I’m starting to get the mindset that what ever someone lifts in training doesn’t mean jack shit, and although im sure Pat doesn’t care what I think, I just cant take him seriously until he does 90+% of his youtube videos in an actual tested competition.
NewWorldMan - agree - while this is impressive, it is a little disappointing that all the US lifters are ‘youtube’ champions but end up shitting the bed at meets - we even sent two injured guys to World’s this year. Need to keep these guys healthy and READY for meet day.
heavy thrower - hate to agree…I am now a skeptic. Not hating at all, it is just that I want this kid SO bad to medal in international competition and get American weightlifting back on the map so bad, I am getting frustrated by all the insane youtube lifts and no official competition records to go along with it. ugh.

all the above comments echoing my sentiments. So, I’m not alone here. dfreezy, I too like to watch training videos but at some point, these have GOT to get translated into COMPETITION lifts.

Having watched Shankle’s youtube lifts, I was expecting something a bit more at the World’s. Farris has shown what he can do in competitions so the discussion doesn’t include him. Now, Mendes and all these incredible lifts in the gym, with straps that Broz posts… When can we watch him in an actual COMPETITION?
That’s all I 'm saying, and believe me, I WANT to believe! And I WILL be rooting for him when he actually competes…

[quote]KGeorge wrote: When can we watch him in an actual COMPETITION?
That’s all I 'm saying, and believe me, I WANT to believe! And I WILL be rooting for him when he actually competes…[/quote]

If you read posts from Broz on this site, BB, or his own site that should give you some insight into their rationale. Not that it matters currently since Pat is injured.

Regardless I honestly don’t think its any different than any other country debuting lifters that no one has ever seen at the A sessions at Worlds. Russia and China routinely ‘unveil’ lifters top level lifters who have little or no major competition experience, only they’re not publicly displaying their training videos beforehand. If I’m not mistaken I believe Lu Xiaojun’s first international meet was Goyang where he won gold and set WRs.

[quote]KGeorge wrote:
Having watched Shankle’s youtube lifts, I was expecting something a bit more at the World’s. [/quote]

I believe I’ve read comments from Glenn Pendlay indicating that Donny competed at Worlds with an injured hip.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Where is he asking for a medal or calling it an official record? Broz is simply posting a training video with weights that exceed the current record. I don’t understand what the issue is here; I personally love to watch training videos of other lifters for motivation and to study technique.[/quote]

Unofficial records have nothing to do with gym lifts. That’s the issue. Broz is taking credit away from real competitors. The thing is, champions don’t make excuses. Broz and co. have done nothing but listed excuses for a couple of years.

If I am wrong, please explain why and also please accept my apologies.

But the “Unofficial World Record” tag really pisses me off.

This record isn’t unofficial because there is no record.
You do not set any weightlifting records with straps, you do not set or break records without officials, even unofficial ones.

An unofficial record would imply that all criteria a genuine record requires would be met, and then something went wrong that is not the lifter’s fault.

You cannot just alter any rules, regulations or enviroments and then call it an “unofficial record.”

If I deadlifted 1200 pounds with a suit, wraps, reverse bands, straps and what not, and then called it “unofficial raw world record”, you guys would kill me … for good reason.

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

You do not set any weightlifting records with straps, you do not set or break records without officials, even unofficial ones.

An unofficial record would imply that all criteria a genuine record requires would be met, and then something went wrong that is not the lifter’s fault.

You cannot just alter any rules, regulations or enviroments and then call it an “unofficial record.”[/quote]

Well if you didn’t alter any rules, regulations or environments and lifted that weight then it would be an official record, now wouldn’t it?

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
If I deadlifted 1200 pounds with a suit, wraps, reverse bands, straps and what not, and then called it “unofficial raw world record”, you guys would kill me … for good reason.[/quote]

The proper name for what you’re doing here escapes me at the moment, but you’re creating a ridiculous situation and trying to use it as an argument for your position. And that’s shitty arguing.

Far as I see it, the man lifted a junior world record, in training, with straps. That’s it. I’m not sure if Broz is intentionally creating controversy with the way he titles these vids or if that’s just an unintended byproduct, but he sure seems gifted at getting everybody’s panties up in a bunch. And maybe that’s all he was doing with this, trying to keep his lifter relevant and talked about after a disappointing injury and subsequent withdrawal from the American Open in the hopes that somebody’ll bend a rule to make Pat eligible to lift for the States in 2012. But I’m just musing now.

With 2012 in the not too distant future he’s going to have to start competing soon to secure a place on the olympic squad. So I’m sure we don’t have long to wait!

I can’t help but predict he’s going to disappoint when he finally steps on the platform, although I hope he doesn’t!

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]bro1989 wrote:

You cannot just alter any rules, regulations or enviroments and then call it an “unofficial record.”[/quote]

Well if you didn’t alter any rules, regulations or environments and lifted that weight then it would be an official record, now wouldn’t it?

[quote]bro1989 wrote:
If I deadlifted 1200 pounds with a suit, wraps, reverse bands, straps and what not, and then called it “unofficial raw world record”, you guys would kill me … for good reason.[/quote]

The proper name for what you’re doing here escapes me at the moment, but you’re creating a ridiculous situation and trying to use it as an argument for your position. And that’s shitty arguing.

Far as I see it, the man lifted a junior world record, in training, with straps. That’s it. I’m not sure if Broz is intentionally creating controversy with the way he titles these vids or if that’s just an unintended byproduct, but he sure seems gifted at getting everybody’s panties up in a bunch. And maybe that’s all he was doing with this, trying to keep his lifter relevant and talked about after a disappointing injury and subsequent withdrawal from the American Open in the hopes that somebody’ll bend a rule to make Pat eligible to lift for the States in 2012. But I’m just musing now.[/quote]

I’m pretty sure that Broz is stirring shit with the controlling U.S Olympic weightlifting body (whoever/whatever that is called) when he puts these vids out. The U.S. hasn’t sent a competitive male lifter to the Olympics for decades now as I understand it. Broz is showing that he thinks he has one who can take on world class competition and that he didn’t come through the OTC and , more importantly, didn’t train the OTC way.

He most likely was just proud of his lifter and didn’t spend a long time thinking of the youtube tagline…I agree that I’d love to see him compete though.

[quote]DaCharmingAlbino wrote:
I’m pretty sure that Broz is stirring shit with the controlling U.S Olympic weightlifting body (whoever/whatever that is called) when he puts these vids out. The U.S. hasn’t sent a competitive male lifter to the Olympics for decades now as I understand it. Broz is showing that he thinks he has one who can take on world class competition and that he didn’t come through the OTC and , more importantly, didn’t train the OTC way.
[/quote]

Broz can think what ever the fuck he wants. But the truth is, Mendes is light years away from the top lifters with his untested 400 kg total. That is the only fact that needs to be said.

[quote]Dave284 wrote:
He most likely was just proud of his lifter and didn’t spend a long time thinking of the youtube tagline…I agree that I’d love to see him compete though. [/quote]

x2

everyone else is over-thinking the video’s title