Pastor Dennis Terry and Santorum

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

At a Baton Rouge revival yesterday, the Republican presidential candidate was introduced and blessed by the fire-breathing pastor Dennis Terry. To a cheering crowd, Terry shouted that ours is a “Christian nation,” that “we don’t worship Buddha, we don’t worship Mohammad, we don’t worship Allah,” and that anyone who doesn’t like “the way we do things” should “get out.”
[/quote]

I only listened to the first few minutes and granted he is an old time southern preacher. But over all I don’t see anything wrong with the guy from what I saw. You’d be surprised to know that more people believe in what he was saying (from what I heard) than what Obama’s Pastor Reverend Jermiah Wright had to say (“The white government gave blacks the HIV virus”). And as Sloth has correctly implied Obama attended that hate mongeror’s church for 20 years.

So what’s your point? [/quote]

Cool so if it’s a black preacher spewing hate we need to run him out of the country.

But if it’s a white preacher spewing the same hate we need to celebrate him and shout to the HEAVENS!!! [/quote]

Sorry, as I said I didn’t listen to the entire video. Perhaps you could tell me what hatred he was spreading? I know that Wright is a racist from what he’s said from the pulpit. Is this guy a racist as well? Please point out what he said because if that’s the case I would agree with you.[/quote]

As I stated someone that is not Christian gets up and makes those statements you guys would all be screaming and up in arms.

But a white preacher gets up and states that if you worship a different god then you need to get out?

There are many that love America and worship different Gods but I guess Zeb and SM would like for us all to be just alike. Why be any different?

I don’t have a lot of time. It’s a very involved subject. I’ll give it a quick crack:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Declaration of independence is not a legal document. Where in the constitution and the bill of rights does it say the US is a Christian nation?

[/quote]

The founders/framers framed the Constitution around the Declaration of Independence and the principles it espoused. The founders were Congregationalists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, Unitarians and Catholics. Many of the state constitutions required officials to afirm their allegiance to a particular denomination. The Constitution and Bill of Rights, in accordance with “natural law” and “divine providence” protect “unalienable rights” whilst guaranteeing freedom of worship/religion and no state sanctioned denomination.

As Chief Justice William Rehnquist argued in Wallace v Jaffree - “The First Amendment’s Establishment Clause did not require government neutrality between religion and irreligion nor did it prohibit the Federal Government from providing nondiscriminatory aid to religion. There is simply no foundation for the proposition that the Framers intended to build a “wall of separation” that was constitutionalized in Everson( v Board of Education).”

In fact, natural law and God-given unalienable rights are founding principles of the Constitution.
As George Washington wrote in his farewell address:

“Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable results…And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.” And as Barry Goldwater said in '64 - “those who elevate the state and downgrade the citizen must see ultimately a world in which earthly power can be substituted for Divine Will, and this nation was founded upon the rejection of that notion and upon the acceptance of God as the author of freedom.”

See above.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I think he expressed himself poorly. He put his foot in his mouth. But the general principle of what he is saying is correct. The US is a Christian nation. It’s enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Chrisitianity is inseparable from liberty and through concepts such as unalienable rights and “negative rights” the government preserves individual liberty/sovereignty and life. Anyone who opposes that and wishes to subvert the constitution and the nation should not be welcome. Certainly there are many who are actively engaged in doing just that and he mentioned one of them.[/quote]

Here’s an interesting article about God in the US Documents you listed.

http://theunitedstatesconstitution.blogspot.com/2006/08/constitution-what-does-religion-have.html[/quote]

See my post to raj above. See Locke, Montesquieu, natural law, unalienable rights, divine providence, the creater, the religion/denominations of the framers/founders etc.

I personally see this as the new direction of religion and why (IF THERE IS A GOD) religion is it’s biggest nemesis

[quote]SexMachine wrote:
I don’t have a lot of time. It’s a very involved subject. I’ll give it a quick crack:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Declaration of independence is not a legal document. Where in the constitution and the bill of rights does it say the US is a Christian nation?

[/quote]

The founders/framers framed the Constitution around the Declaration of Independence and the principles it espoused. The founders were Congregationalists, Presbyterians, Anglicans, Unitarians and Catholics. Many of the state constitutions required officials to afirm their allegiance to a particular denomination. The Constitution and Bill of Rights, in accordance with “natural law” and “divine providence” protect “unalienable rights” whilst guaranteeing freedom of worship/religion and no state sanctioned denomination.

As Chief Justice William Rehnquist argued in Wallace v Jaffree - “The First Amendment’s Establishment Clause did not require government neutrality between religion and irreligion nor did it prohibit the Federal Government from providing nondiscriminatory aid to religion. There is simply no foundation for the proposition that the Framers intended to build a “wall of separation” that was constitutionalized in Everson( v Board of Education).”

In fact, natural law and God-given unalienable rights are founding principles of the Constitution.
As George Washington wrote in his farewell address:

“Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable results…And let us with caution indulge the supposition that morality can be maintained without religion.” And as Barry Goldwater said in '64 - “those who elevate the state and downgrade the citizen must see ultimately a world in which earthly power can be substituted for Divine Will, and this nation was founded upon the rejection of that notion and upon the acceptance of God as the author of freedom.”

See above.[/quote]

Many of the Founders were Deists, which is to say they thought the universe had a creator, but that he does not concern himself with the daily lives of humans, and does not directly communicate with humans, either by revelation or by sacred books. They spoke often of God, (Nature’s God or the God of Nature), but this was not the God of the bible.

And honestly even if they wanted the US to be a Christian Nation (not saying they did) how relevant is their opinion today?

What about their opinions on other subjects? Should their opinions on slavery be reinforced as well?

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I guess this thread is about Obama now.

IF YOU DON’T LAHK AMERIKUH, YOU KIN GIT OUT![/quote]

Guess the chickens have come to roost for those who’d like this non-story to be one. If twenty years of attendance at Wright’s church didn’t disqualify Obama, then a campaign stop at someone else’s church is an absolute non-story. Next!
[/quote]
[/quote]

When you’re reaching for a story, you’re reaching for a story.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

Guess the chickens have come to roost for those who’d like this non-story to be one. If twenty years of attendance at Wright’s church didn’t disqualify Obama, then a campaign stop at someone else’s church is an absolute non-story. Next!
[/quote]
[/quote]

When you’re reaching for a story, you’re reaching for a story.[/quote]

Can you honestly say you would’ve ignored this story had it been Obama instead of Santorum?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

Can you honestly say you would’ve ignored this story had it been Obama instead of Santorum?
[/quote]

Yes.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Forget PWI posters and what they think, can you honestly say that the media didn’t ignore Obama and Wright story? That should have been a way bigger deal, but it was barely covered. He should still be having to answer questions about that shit. At some point, hopefully, he is going to have to explain all of his ties to people of questionable character.

[quote]dk44 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Forget PWI posters and what they think, can you honestly say that the media didn’t ignore Obama and Wright story? That should have been a way bigger deal, but it was barely covered. He should still be having to answer questions about that shit. At some point, hopefully, he is going to have to explain all of his ties to people of questionable character. [/quote]

Why not just start a thread on OBama and Wright instead of continually filling this thread with that topic?

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]dk44 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Forget PWI posters and what they think, can you honestly say that the media didn’t ignore Obama and Wright story? That should have been a way bigger deal, but it was barely covered. He should still be having to answer questions about that shit. At some point, hopefully, he is going to have to explain all of his ties to people of questionable character. [/quote]

Why not just start a thread on OBama and Wright instead of continually filling this thread with that topic?[/quote]

Because this is trivial. A campaign stop, compared to 20 years with Rev. Wright. Sorry, that’s just how it is.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]dk44 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Why not just start a thread on OBama and Wright instead of continually filling this thread with that topic?[/quote]

Because this is trivial. A campaign stop, compared to 20 years with Rev. Wright. Sorry, that’s just how it is.
[/quote]

Obama’s wrongdoing does not lessen Santorum’s.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]dk44 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Obama’s wrongdoing does not lessen Santorum’s. [/quote]

Rofl. Don’t even try to compare a Campaign stop to Obama’s actual church. Santorum did nothing wrong.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]dk44 wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]Sloth wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Raj, I don’t mean to hijack. IMO these 2 stories are related way more than you might like to believe. One story went unvetted, even tho it was a 20 year relationship. This was a one time stop. That said, the comments by Terry are no good and he (Santorum) should have to answer some questions. But damn dude, what do you think should happen here? Anything done to Santorum should be 20x’s less than that done to Pres. Obama. So a slap on the wrist is too much punishment.

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

At a Baton Rouge revival yesterday, the Republican presidential candidate was introduced and blessed by the fire-breathing pastor Dennis Terry. To a cheering crowd, Terry shouted that ours is a “Christian nation,” that “we don’t worship Buddha, we don’t worship Mohammad, we don’t worship Allah,” and that anyone who doesn’t like “the way we do things” should “get out.”
[/quote]

I only listened to the first few minutes and granted he is an old time southern preacher. But over all I don’t see anything wrong with the guy from what I saw. You’d be surprised to know that more people believe in what he was saying (from what I heard) than what Obama’s Pastor Reverend Jermiah Wright had to say (“The white government gave blacks the HIV virus”). And as Sloth has correctly implied Obama attended that hate mongeror’s church for 20 years.

Cool so if it’s a black preacher spewing hate we need to run him out of the country.

But if it’s a white preacher spewing the same hate we need to celebrate him and shout to the HEAVENS!!! [/quote]

Sorry, as I said I didn’t listen to the entire video. Perhaps you could tell me what hatred he was spreading? I know that Wright is a racist from what he’s said from the pulpit. Is this guy a racist as well? Please point out what he said because if that’s the case I would agree with you.[/quote]

As I stated someone that is not Christian gets up and makes those statements you guys would all be screaming and up in arms.

But a white preacher gets up and states that if you worship a different god then you need to get out?

There are many that love America and worship different Gods but I guess Zeb and SM would like for us all to be just alike. Why be any different?[/quote]

I guess you didn’t hear what he actually said. I think he said “If YOU don’t like it you can get out.” So, to me that means be whatever you want to be, but if you don’t like what we are get out.

“I’m going to worship Jesus Christ this Sunday if you don’t like it you can leave.”

“I’m going to say a prayer right now if you don’t like it don’t listen.”

He’s an old fashion odd dude to be certain. With that said however I’m still not seeing the hate.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

There are many that love America and worship different Gods but I guess Zeb and SM would like for us all to be just alike. Why be any different?[/quote]

I guess you didn’t hear what he actually said. I think he said “If YOU don’t like it you can get out.” So, to me that means be whatever you want to be, but if you don’t like what we are get out.

“I’m going to worship Jesus Christ this Sunday if you don’t like it you can leave.”

He’s an old fashion odd dude to be certain. With that said however I’m still not seeing the hate.
[/quote]

You know something I stand by what I observed and what I said.

If someone not inline with YOUR beliefs gets up and says those things about christians you guys woudld be all over this board screaming up and down.

Oh well, done wasting my breath here. Lets all be exactly alike cause that would make everything so wonderful :slight_smile:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

If someone not inline with YOUR beliefs gets up and says those things about christians you guys woudld be all over this board screaming up and down.

Oh well, done wasting my breath here. Lets all be exactly alike cause that would make everything so wonderful :)[/quote]

First of all you see it that way because you’re not a Christian. I see it a different way because I am a Christian. Which one of us is correct? We each have our own perspective based largely upon our different beliefs.

If you do not believe what I believe and I say if you don’t like it (meaning my belief) you can leave that is reinforcing my own beliefs not attacking yours. You can be a muslim or a Hindu and have respect for others beliefs. And if so he would not be talking to those people. He was clearly addressing those who already hate Christians and Christianity.

It was very clear at least from my perspective.

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh well, done wasting my breath here. Lets all be exactly alike cause that would make everything so wonderful :)[/quote]

First of all you see it that way because you’re not a Christian. I see it a different way because I am a Christian. Which one of us is correct? We each have our own perspective based largely upon our different beliefs.

If you do not believe what I believe and I say if you don’t like it (meaning my belief) you can leave that is reinforcing my own beliefs not attacking yours. You can be a muslim or a Hindu and have respect for others beliefs. And if so he would not be talking to those people. He was clearly addressing those who already hate Christians and Christianity.

It was very clear at least from my perspective.
[/quote]

wow it is amazing how things change when it is a different subject , I do not think many people hate Christians I think they hate hypocrisy . And IMO there is plenty hypocrisy in the Christian religion

[quote]lanchefan1 wrote:

[quote]ZEB wrote:

[quote]therajraj wrote:

[/quote]

Not at all. But I think if someone’s going to criticize and get very upset at Santorum then they’d better DAMN WELL get upset at pastor Wright and Obama for the same thing. Otherwise it’s just plain double standard partisanship.

Raj as I recall was a pretty big defender of Obama with that whole pastor thing. He’s swinging a mighty big hypocritical club here when he jumped up to defend Obama.