Passed Out DURING ME Bench [Update]

[quote]actionjeff wrote:
I’ve had this happen a few times doing pause squats. Always sets of 2 or 3 from rock bottom, and always after the rep was completed. Never passed out but came close and had to dump the bar and fell to the side of the rack once

I think the closest I’ve come other than that was doing power cleans, for some reason after cleaning the bar I got lightheaded and started seeing stars and managed to dump it before I fell down. Might have been cutting off my breathing, I don’t know

badass accomplishment OP[/quote]

The bar tends to sit across some of the main blood supply lines to your brain when you’ve got it racked after a clean. I’ve seen lots of oly lifters pass out as a result of it.

High reps of front squats tend to fuck me over pretty hard, the bar messes with breathing with the long sets not so much on short ones. I have shity bars at my gym though so it adds to it. So I can see how the clean could make you light headed.

One of the worst is heavy deadlifts, since it can take some time to get up a new pr and its almost impossible not to hold your breath quite a bit when doing 100% effort. Same with squats also but deadlift prs tend to be the slowest.

My best experience was a 500 max squat that I got but half way up blood projectiled out of my noose all over the bar lol.

I know I’m going to have a good deadlift session when I either:
a) puke in my mouth a little during warmups
b) see stars during a pretty easy warmup
c) get dizzy/blackout after pulling some decent weight

Heavy dead work always has me seeing stars, but the closest I ever came to passing out was doing ME weighted chins. Rep probably took me 7-8 seconds, I failed at the very last bit, but kept pushing it for a couple secs, to no avail.

When I hit the floor, instant tunnel vision, music started slowing down and blurring out, felt like I was underwater. It was kinda cool, cos I realised what was happening and was completely conscious throughout the whole thing, so I sat down and took it all in.

I don’t throw up tho. But then again, I’m a complete pussy at squatting.

I have puked, I have been bleeding from my nose, I have been on the floor for 15 minutes without being able to move, but one of the most hardcore moments was when I fainted when I tried a new 1RM in the front squat. As I decended I felt something was wrong, and I just managed to drop the bar, and then felt without control on my ass and banged the back of my head onto the floor.

I tought it was awesome, there was no camera to film this at the time, and that was my only regret. I felt really good about it, altough it can be very dangerous as well. It is the first time I have actually fainted when training.

So we are a sick bunch! :smiley:

[quote]stallion wrote:
I have puked, I have been bleeding from my nose, I have been on the floor for 15 minutes without being able to move, but one of the most hardcore moments was when I fainted when I tried a new 1RM in the front squat. As I decended I felt something was wrong, and I just managed to drop the bar, and then felt without control on my ass and banged the back of my head onto the floor. I tought it was awesome, there was no camera to film this at the time, and that was my only regret. I felt really good about it, altough it can be very dangerous as well. It is the first time I have actually fainted when training.

So we are a sick bunch! :D[/quote]

This reminds me of Shane54’s (I forget his name) video where he passes out front squatting…thank God for good squatters!

I pass out all the time on overhead stuff (myostatic hypotension) but about 3 weeks ago was the first time I passed out on bench. I don’t remember the rep at all but remember coming to on the bench and not knowing if I should still be pressing the bar up or not.

My spotter had already racked the bar, and said I got a good lift, but I don’t remember anything and was honestly afraid I was dead when I woke up.

Seeing stars and all that is one thing, but passing out and making it look heroic is seriously idiotic beyond belief.

I train for various reasons, being healthy and strong two of the foremost.
Being squashed by the Barbell is like the total opposite of nearly everbody’s aims.

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:
Seeing stars and all that is one thing, but passing out and making it look heroic is seriously idiotic beyond belief.

[/quote]

I hate when people put too much stock in this. Believe it or not, most people don’t pass out on purpose and it’s not something they have a lot of control over. I pass out pretty regularly with a lot of overhead stuff, and people seem to think I’m dieing everytime it happens. The worst that has ever happened to me is I hit my head on the bar once after racking it. Just lift in a rack and always have a good spotter.

UPDATE

Its been 2 weeks since the passing out event. Took a week off benching last week so tonight was my first bench session since.

Had plenty of spotters on hand this time :slight_smile:

Made sure not to get to hyped up for it bu I also stopped myself from getting intimidated my it. Took it out on my own and pressed it strong, locked it out with ease. Recon I had another 5-10lbs in me.

Thats a RAW PR for me so im as happy as a pig in mud atm. And conscious to boot.

[quote]SmittyTheOx wrote:
UPDATE

Its been 2 weeks since the passing out event. Took a week off benching last week so tonight was my first bench session since.

Had plenty of spotters on hand this time :slight_smile:

Made sure not to get to hyped up for it bu I also stopped myself from getting intimidated my it. Took it out on my own and pressed it strong, locked it out with ease. Recon I had another 5-10lbs in me.

Thats a RAW PR for me so im as happy as a pig in mud atm. And conscious to boot.[/quote]

way to stick with it smitty! Glad to see it went well and congrats on the PR, way to come back strong!

Thanks Scuba. I thought that if I didnt get back under the bar ASAP then it might become a ‘mental block’ type thing.