T Nation

Pasina - Rate Me Please

So here I am:)
First of all I would like to thank all the “testosterone-people” that built one of the greatest site for bodybuilding.

I would call myself a beginner of bodybuilding because for 5 years I made a lot of mistakes in my eating plan and workouts ( I trained only my upper body, eating a lot of junks, ecc…)
Last year I decided to reach a goal: a strong, ripped, big body.
I started to eat healthier and seriously working out.

Here some stats:
Weight: 81 kg
Height: 1.83 cm
BF%: My trainer said I have 12-13%

I Would like to get my BF at 9-10% and to be a little bigger.
My legs need a lot of work.
I would like to listen some good advices or critics.

back

If I rated you, you wouldnt have a 0 any more…

and legs… I Know they are terrible:(

Everything will come up when your legs come up. Make getting brutally strong a priority and you will reach your physique goals faster.

Even if you don’t want to look like a massive pro bodybuilder, if you train as if that was your goal then you will reach your goal of looking like Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman sooner.

How many days can you dedicate to training?

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Everything will come up when your legs come up. Make getting brutally strong a priority and you will reach your physique goals faster.

Even if you don’t want to look like a massive pro bodybuilder, if you train as if that was your goal then you will reach your goal of looking like Christian Bale or Hugh Jackman sooner.

How many days can you dedicate to training?[/quote]

I usualy dedicate 3 to 4 days pro week to training. In the weekends I’d like to run a lot.
What do you suggest? should I cut my weekend-running?

Post your stats, like what you lift and your specific training program. Its hard to gauge from a pic but I’ll give you a hand.

I wouldn’t necessarily cut the running, I’d moreso treat cardio as a developing workout much like your weight routines. ‘Running’ for many folks is steady state, moderate intensity jogging while watching the TV in the gym. Thats a distraction, therefore your workout suffers.

Start doing sprint work and stairs. A good beginner is doing one flight up and down as many times as you can, maintaining a consistent speed and intensity throughout. More advanced would be Interval Training. Warm up with a quick jog, then work in 1 min of sprinting to 2 min of jogging to catch your breath. Prolong your sprint as your cardio increases. Most HITT workouts should only be 30 minutes max, so start with a 15 minute routine.

Combine this type of cardio 3 times a week with you weight regime, which should consist of 60% - 75% your repetition max to induce muscle hypertrophy, which means growth. Meaning if you should be staying withi 6 to 10 reps per set. Afterwards, move toward higher weight with minimal reps. That would be in the realm of 1 to 5 reps per set.

What you do outside the gym is important too, like your diet. You have the same body type as I do, a classic ecto morph with a higher metabolism. So you need to eat more, a lot more. When I had to gain weight for wrestling and powerlifting in university, I ate a shitload of food. At least 5 to 6 LARGE meals a day. Don’t look at that as an excuse to eat everything - lots of meats, eggs, good whole grain carbs, veggies, fruits and lots of water. Supplements might include a protein shake twice a day, fish, flax, and olive oils. I never really took anything like creatine or the like consistantly, so I can’t give you much info on that.

What you really need is to take it to the next level, if you want it badly you have to work hard. Consistency and excellence are what seperate someone who lies to themselves about results and those who rise above.

Good luck sir, check out the beginners section for some good input and help too.

From a different thread:

[quote]aburke22 wrote:

If you spent time reading through this section in particular, you would have realized this post doesn’t belong here. The reason the guy laughed is because 15 people a week post here when they should be in the beginners section and its flat out getting old.

  • AB[/quote]

I can’t put it any better than that.

[quote]AquilaV wrote:
Post your stats, like what you lift and your specific training program. Its hard to gauge from a pic but I’ll give you a hand.

I wouldn’t necessarily cut the running, I’d moreso treat cardio as a developing workout much like your weight routines. ‘Running’ for many folks is steady state, moderate intensity jogging while watching the TV in the gym. Thats a distraction, therefore your workout suffers.

Start doing sprint work and stairs. A good beginner is doing one flight up and down as many times as you can, maintaining a consistent speed and intensity throughout. More advanced would be Interval Training. Warm up with a quick jog, then work in 1 min of sprinting to 2 min of jogging to catch your breath. Prolong your sprint as your cardio increases. Most HITT workouts should only be 30 minutes max, so start with a 15 minute routine.

Combine this type of cardio 3 times a week with you weight regime, which should consist of 60% - 75% your repetition max to induce muscle hypertrophy, which means growth. Meaning if you should be staying withi 6 to 10 reps per set. Afterwards, move toward higher weight with minimal reps. That would be in the realm of 1 to 5 reps per set.

What you do outside the gym is important too, like your diet. You have the same body type as I do, a classic ecto morph with a higher metabolism. So you need to eat more, a lot more. When I had to gain weight for wrestling and powerlifting in university, I ate a shitload of food. At least 5 to 6 LARGE meals a day. Don’t look at that as an excuse to eat everything - lots of meats, eggs, good whole grain carbs, veggies, fruits and lots of water. Supplements might include a protein shake twice a day, fish, flax, and olive oils. I never really took anything like creatine or the like consistantly, so I can’t give you much info on that.

What you really need is to take it to the next level, if you want it badly you have to work hard. Consistency and excellence are what seperate someone who lies to themselves about results and those who rise above.

Good luck sir, check out the beginners section for some good input and help too. [/quote]

Ok so here are some of my max efforts:
Bench press: 100kgX4 reps
Squat: 140x4 reps
Deadlift: 130x2 reps

In my last 6 years of training I did a lot of different workouts and I know all the stuff about reps/sets ecc… (but I still appreciate your imput):slight_smile:
My diet has changed a lot since last year. I eat tons of protein , good fats and compplex. carbs. I fill my self up with fruits and veggie too.
The only thing that I don’t take is supplements. I strongly believe that If you want to get bigger you should only eat more.

I changed my workout every three weeks ( sometimes every 4 when the workout kick my ass). I tried a lot of split programs and total body workout.
I really like supersets.

My running in the weekends is always a Hiit program or a variation of that (tabata).

Thank for your post:)

Need more mass but you’re on the right track

[quote]pasina wrote:
AquilaV wrote:
Post your stats, like what you lift and your specific training program. Its hard to gauge from a pic but I’ll give you a hand.

I wouldn’t necessarily cut the running, I’d moreso treat cardio as a developing workout much like your weight routines. ‘Running’ for many folks is steady state, moderate intensity jogging while watching the TV in the gym. Thats a distraction, therefore your workout suffers.

Start doing sprint work and stairs. A good beginner is doing one flight up and down as many times as you can, maintaining a consistent speed and intensity throughout. More advanced would be Interval Training. Warm up with a quick jog, then work in 1 min of sprinting to 2 min of jogging to catch your breath. Prolong your sprint as your cardio increases. Most HITT workouts should only be 30 minutes max, so start with a 15 minute routine.

Combine this type of cardio 3 times a week with you weight regime, which should consist of 60% - 75% your repetition max to induce muscle hypertrophy, which means growth. Meaning if you should be staying withi 6 to 10 reps per set. Afterwards, move toward higher weight with minimal reps. That would be in the realm of 1 to 5 reps per set.

What you do outside the gym is important too, like your diet. You have the same body type as I do, a classic ecto morph with a higher metabolism. So you need to eat more, a lot more. When I had to gain weight for wrestling and powerlifting in university, I ate a shitload of food. At least 5 to 6 LARGE meals a day. Don’t look at that as an excuse to eat everything - lots of meats, eggs, good whole grain carbs, veggies, fruits and lots of water. Supplements might include a protein shake twice a day, fish, flax, and olive oils. I never really took anything like creatine or the like consistantly, so I can’t give you much info on that.

What you really need is to take it to the next level, if you want it badly you have to work hard. Consistency and excellence are what seperate someone who lies to themselves about results and those who rise above.

Good luck sir, check out the beginners section for some good input and help too.

Ok so here are some of my max efforts:
Bench press: 100kgX4 reps
Squat: 140x4 reps
Deadlift: 130x2 reps

In my last 6 years of training I did a lot of different workouts and I know all the stuff about reps/sets ecc… (but I still appreciate your imput):slight_smile:
My diet has changed a lot since last year. I eat tons of protein , good fats and compplex. carbs. I fill my self up with fruits and veggie too.
The only thing that I don’t take is supplements. I strongly believe that If you want to get bigger you should only eat more.

I changed my workout every three weeks ( sometimes every 4 when the workout kick my ass). I tried a lot of split programs and total body workout.
I really like supersets.

My running in the weekends is always a Hiit program or a variation of that (tabata).

Thank for your post:)[/quote]

Interesting. I think that there’s a need to up the ante, you should be consuming a shitload more food judging by your physique. It seems that you need more consistency especially in diet, and like most folks are saying lift heavier and do more compound movements. You should be doing a lot more snatches and cleans/jerks for explosive power plus overhead squats. Also rest MORE, give your body time to recover if you’re working out as much as you say you are. I imagine you’re most likely burning the bulk before you can pack it on. Keep the heavy weights and take a minute or two between sets, incorporate pre and post workout meals/shakes in addition to your other meals. Your calorie intake should be higher then what you have now, like 2000+.

How often do you workout a week? Whats your current routine? Daily diet plan?

My workout plan depends a lot of the stress that I have in life, but in my experience I found that 3 to 4 days pro week are enough.

In the last 2 years i follow a lot of different workout plan, made by my trainer. Here is a sample of one day of my last intence workout plan:

Monday:
1)weighted(10-15 kg) pullups(until failure) + single arm pull over (12 rep)+free pullups(uf) X3 sets (rest 1-2 mn)
2)dinamic cable row(10 r.)+static cable row (6 r.)+ pullups(8 assisted)+ half pullups(12 ass.) x2 sets
3) Vertical row 75 kg uf+1 mn rest+75kg uf+70 uf +1 rest mn + … and so on until I reach the 50 kg (only one set for these ex.)
4) close Vertical peck 8-8-6
5)elevated tricep pushups (uf)+ one arm dumbell tricep ext. (10-12) x3 sets
6)Squat (on the smith machine):
a)8 reps (heavy)+12 reps (with 5 kg-) X2 sets
b)15 reps (light) +20 reps (with 5 kg-) X2 sets
6) roman chair abs 30 (fast)+8 (very slow)x3 sets
7) crunch +obliques c. (uf) X3 sets
8) crunch on swiss ball with resistance band (25 r.)X2

In the last 2 weeks I changed my workout in a different one to put more focus on my legs and on compound exercises: (bench press, deads, raw squat and weighted pull-ups)
If you have some advices for a better and solid workout plan they are very welcome:)

Probably the part were i’m lacking is the diet. I try to eat a lot of protein but without supplements ( i will give a try to some protein shake and see what happened) it’s not simple to reach 1.2 protein for pound.
Example:
8.00: 1 whole egg, 2 slice of whole bread with peanut butter, coffe and fat free milk

10.30: a fruit and 10-15 almonds

13.00: meat with veggies

15.30: a shake with: 2 egg whites, 3tbs of cottage cheese, 1 tbs
of high protein jogurt, and a half apple.

18 post workout: a banana

20.00: 150g of chicken breast or salmon or tuna+veggies.

22.00: a shake like the one that i take at 15.30

before sleep: a glass of fat free milk+some cottage cheese

So that’s it. I’m looking for some advice here too:)

lift heavy with good form

I dont know why this bothers me so much…but that DB is terrible. Someone teach this kid how to show off the goods.

First of all, you need to eat a lot more food than you are currently.

Secondly, there’s some strange things in your diet sample. You need a way better post-workout meal. Post workout is one of the most important meal, you need at least 40-50 g of proteins and a good bunch of glucids (more than 1 banana, maybe 2 or 1 banana + 1 apple). The meal after the post-workout one is kinda far too. It’s usually better to take it within 1:30 hour after the post-workout meal. It should also be high in proteins and glucids. You seem fine on the protein side but veggies only won’t bring you enough glucids to make you grow optimally.

[quote]jemag wrote:
First of all, you need to eat a lot more food than you are currently.

Secondly, there’s some strange things in your diet sample. You need a way better post-workout meal. Post workout is one of the most important meal, you need at least 40-50 g of proteins and a good bunch of glucids (more than 1 banana, maybe 2 or 1 banana + 1 apple).

The meal after the post-workout one is kinda far too. It’s usually better to take it within 1:30 hour after the post-workout meal. It should also be high in proteins and glucids. You seem fine on the protein side but veggies only won’t bring you enough glucids to make you grow optimally.[/quote]

ok I’ll bring up the glucids in my post workout meal

Thanks:)

[quote]pasina wrote:
My workout plan depends a lot of the stress that I have in life, but in my experience I found that 3 to 4 days pro week are enough.

In the last 2 years i follow a lot of different workout plan, made by my trainer. Here is a sample of one day of my last intence workout plan:

Monday:
1)weighted(10-15 kg) pullups(until failure) + single arm pull over (12 rep)+free pullups(uf) X3 sets (rest 1-2 mn)
2)dinamic cable row(10 r.)+static cable row (6 r.)+ pullups(8 assisted)+ half pullups(12 ass.) x2 sets
3) Vertical row 75 kg uf+1 mn rest+75kg uf+70 uf +1 rest mn + … and so on until I reach the 50 kg (only one set for these ex.)
4) close Vertical peck 8-8-6
5)elevated tricep pushups (uf)+ one arm dumbell tricep ext. (10-12) x3 sets
6)Squat (on the smith machine):
a)8 reps (heavy)+12 reps (with 5 kg-) X2 sets
b)15 reps (light) +20 reps (with 5 kg-) X2 sets
6) roman chair abs 30 (fast)+8 (very slow)x3 sets
7) crunch +obliques c. (uf) X3 sets
8) crunch on swiss ball with resistance band (25 r.)X2

In the last 2 weeks I changed my workout in a different one to put more focus on my legs and on compound exercises: (bench press, deads, raw squat and weighted pull-ups)
If you have some advices for a better and solid workout plan they are very welcome:)

Probably the part were i’m lacking is the diet. I try to eat a lot of protein but without supplements ( i will give a try to some protein shake and see what happened) it’s not simple to reach 1.2 protein for pound.

Example:
8.00: 1 whole egg, 2 slice of whole bread with peanut butter, coffe and fat free milk

10.30: a fruit and 10-15 almonds

13.00: meat with veggies

15.30: a shake with: 2 egg whites, 3tbs of cottage cheese, 1 tbs
of high protein jogurt, and a half apple.

18 post workout: a banana

20.00: 150g of chicken breast or salmon or tuna+veggies.

22.00: a shake like the one that i take at 15.30

before sleep: a glass of fat free milk+some cottage cheese

So that’s it. I’m looking for some advice here too:)
[/quote]

Step number 1, triple what you’re eating.

so after 2 months that’s the result of a bulking diet. Now I’m on these workout programm:


and it’s great to build some mass.
Now I weight 81 kg.
Am I doing well? Some opinion?

front

progress