T Nation

Partials with Layer System

Hi CT (and others),
Would you ever recommend at any point utilizing heavy partials for specific issues (ie, lockouts, weak bottom, etc) and just for variety over time to prevent stagnating? And no, I’m not asking if I can use half-ass form.
Ideas, comments?

[quote]Pabro wrote:
Hi CT (and others),
Would you ever recommend at any point utilizing heavy partials for specific issues (ie, lockouts, weak bottom, etc) and just for variety over time to prevent stagnating? And no, I’m not asking if I can use half-ass form.
Ideas, comments?
[/quote]

Sure, heavy partials have always been one of my favorite tools to use. Would I include them in the layer system? Well understand that layering simply means using different method for the same lift in a workout, so yeah, partials could be used in a layered workout.

For example…

Layer 1: Ramp to 1, 2 or 3RM on a lift
Layer 2: starting where you ended layer 1, continue ramping on a partial movement to the 1, 2 or 3RM of that range of motion
Layer 3: Density work: 80% of 1RM on layer 1, perform 30 total reps in as little time as possible
Layer 4: Density work 2: do the same but with the partial movement

Wow, you never cease to amaze me, CT. The layer system is such an incredible and versatile system. Will be implementing this soon!
And for high pulls should we just regress to a rack pull? It seems that would work for snatch grip lifts.