Partial Overhead Press, Similar Exercises?

Hi all
I just did this exercise and wow! I could really feel my tri’s burn after that. So I am thinking, is there other exercises for the body that gives similar results? I am really impressed.

Ash

[quote]bmitch wrote:
Try it with close grip bench press maybe?[/quote]

Yes the tri’s get a better workout when you keep the ROM on the close-grip bench shorter and more controlled. I’ve done them a few times and plan on doing them more.

Start at the bottom of the movement about an inch off of your chest and go about 2 inches from lockout. Do this in a slow and controlled movement. This works better for me than banging out reps with a full ROM (chest to lockout).

Gerdy

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
bmitch wrote:
Try it with close grip bench press maybe?

Yes the tri’s get a better workout when you keep the ROM on the close-grip bench shorter and more controlled. I’ve done them a few times and plan on doing them more.

Start at the bottom of the movement about an inch off of your chest and go about 2 inches from lockout. Do this in a slow and controlled movement. This works better for me than banging out reps with a full ROM (chest to lockout).

Gerdy[/quote]

I find tri’s benefit the most with near 100% lockout.

[quote]jdrannin1 wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
bmitch wrote:

Gerdy

I find tri’s benefit the most with near 100% lockout.[/quote]

well a near 100% lockout is still not a lockout. the point I was trying to make, I guess, was to keep the load on the tris. Most people lockout and when they do it causes the muscle to relax a little more than if it is contracted the whole time.

Everybody is different I personally do almost a partial rep when it comes to close-grip bench, but this works for me, if a full ROM works for you then that is just you and your body. lol Thats why I feel people need to try things differently to truly understand what works better for them.

Like this case we have two different ways of completing the common goal. The people who think there is only one specific way of doing things are missing out. lol

Gerdy

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
jdrannin1 wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
bmitch wrote:

Gerdy

I find tri’s benefit the most with near 100% lockout.

well a near 100% lockout is still not a lockout. the point I was trying to make, I guess, was to keep the load on the tris. Most people lockout and when they do it causes the muscle to relax a little more than if it is contracted the whole time.

Everybody is different I personally do almost a partial rep when it comes to close-grip bench, but this works for me, if a full ROM works for you then that is just you and your body. lol Thats why I feel people need to try things differently to truly understand what works better for them.

Like this case we have two different ways of completing the common goal. The people who think there is only one specific way of doing things are missing out. lol

Gerdy
[/quote]

I do agree with you man :wink:

Ok, I think my question was not worded properly. See, this exercise worked well for my triceps. Are there other exercises that will work well for other body parts?

lol!

a bicep curl tends to be quite good for the biceps…?

I dont think i understand?

Joe

There is an old gimmick program called power factor training that is based completely around partials. The authors later added a pure static contraction style to their ideas.

While you get the usual “my all new training secret” run around the programs are definitely effective and can add to your training knowledge and repertoire.

Anything partial will have similar effects.

[quote]goldwave84 wrote:
Hi all
I just did this exercise and wow! I could really feel my tri’s burn after that. So I am thinking, is there other exercises for the body that gives similar results? I am really impressed.

Ash[/quote]

Tate press - although more impact on lateral part of triceps. This partial presses put some more stress on long head than the Tate press and other partial presses. Also there is significant stress on the elbows because of starting point of the movement than on the other awesome movements for tricep development (like decline close grip bench presses or california presses)

Been doing partials overhead press and am really liking it! Thx for all the info given.

um why have you repeated that? we KNEW you were… the title of this old thread told us! lol!

Hand stand pushups are basically the same thing as a partial overhead press. Good option for when you’re travelling and don’t have access to a gym.