Parolee Kills 3 Oakland Officers

[i]"OAKLAND, Calif. - A police officer was battling for his life and three more were dead after a parolee with an “extensive criminal history” opened fire at a routine traffic stop and hours later gunned down members of a SWAT team searching for him.

The gunman was also killed Saturday, capping a day of violence that the Oakland Police Department said was the worst in its history. Never before had three police officers died in the line of duty on the same day."[/i]

With the current topics in PWI,I know this will turn into an “interesting” discussion. But keep in perspective that three(possibly four) public servants lost their lives doing the job required of them and deserve the utmost respect.

Legalize it!

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
[i]"OAKLAND, Calif. - A police officer was battling for his life and three more were dead after a parolee with an “extensive criminal history” opened fire at a routine traffic stop and hours later gunned down members of a SWAT team searching for him.

The gunman was also killed Saturday, capping a day of violence that the Oakland Police Department said was the worst in its history. Never before had three police officers died in the line of duty on the same day."[/i]

With the current topics in PWI,I know this will turn into an “interesting” discussion. But keep in perspective that three(possibly four) public servants lost their lives doing the job required of them and deserve the utmost respect. [/quote]

Why this man was paroled is beyond me.

[quote]tom63 wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:

With the current topics in PWI,I know this will turn into an “interesting” discussion. But keep in perspective that three(possibly four) public servants lost their lives doing the job required of them and deserve the utmost respect.

Why this man was paroled is beyond me.
[/quote]

Yep,considering the charge he was paroled for was assault with a deadly weapon.

It really is too bad about the policemen. The first two who were shot at the traffic stop probably couldn’t have done much to save themselves, but the SWAT team members killed kind of raises questions in my mind.

Questions like, weren’t these folks wearing body armor? If so, then Lovelle Mixon was either using a serious rifle (.30 caliber), was using armor-piercing ammunition in a poodle-shooter, or else was a good enough shooter to pull off two headshots.

Considering that John Hege, (the second cop who was shot, presumably with a handgun, and the last to die) died of “brain damage,” this third possibility is not an unreasonable supposition.

The thing that really bothers me about this is the political ramifications: another multiple homicide committed by a sociopath with a semi-automatic rifle, so close on the heels of what is already being branded as the “Alabama Assault Rifle Massacre”.

How long before this tragic crime will be twisted into a cynical campaign calling for a ban of “deadly cop-killing assault weapons?”

Sad

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

How long before this tragic crime will be twisted into a cynical campaign calling for a ban of “deadly cop-killing assault weapons?”
[/quote]

It’s true. It’ll happen, and fast. The worst part about it is that I’m too broke to go buy one of these death instruments before the ban will hit because I can’t find a damn job that pays me what my education is worth. It’s a double whammy. >:O

I do feel terrible for the policemen, but I am frankly more concerned about the political ramifications. Lawmen have died in violent tragedies like these for more than 100 years. It’s tragic but nothing new, and I’m more frightened about how this will be used against law abiding gun owners/enthusiasts than anything else at this point.

Oakland is one of the worst (crime wise) cities in the Bay Area. I live right across from it, San Francisco, the gayest (literally) city in all of U.S.

[quote]aznt0rk wrote:
Oakland is one of the worst (crime wise) cities in the Bay Area. I live right across from it, San Francisco, the gayest (literally) city in all of U.S. [/quote]

damn…so you’re stuck between (crack)rock…and hard(dick)place…bummer. That was lame…but couldn’t resist.

I used to have neighbors who move from Oakland/Richmond to Texas. I heard lots of stories from them…and they became “stories” themselves.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:
It really is too bad about the policemen. The first two who were shot at the traffic stop probably couldn’t have done much to save themselves, but the SWAT team members killed kind of raises questions in my mind.

Questions like, weren’t these folks wearing body armor? If so, then Lovelle Mixon was either using a serious rifle (.30 caliber), was using armor-piercing ammunition in a poodle-shooter, or else was a good enough shooter to pull off two headshots.

Considering that John Hege, (the second cop who was shot, presumably with a handgun, and the last to die) died of “brain damage,” this third possibility is not an unreasonable supposition.

The thing that really bothers me about this is the political ramifications: another multiple homicide committed by a sociopath with a semi-automatic rifle, so close on the heels of what is already being branded as the “Alabama Assault Rifle Massacre”.

[/quote]

They might try, but it has less legs than ever. I don’t think they have the votes right now and I’ve actually seen some common sense talk about guns in recent years.

A pump shotgun with slugs would do the same thing, or a pump dee rifle.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Varqanir wrote:

It’s true. It’ll happen, and fast. The worst part about it is that I’m too broke to go buy one of these death instruments before the ban will hit because I can’t find a damn job that pays me what my education is worth. It’s a double whammy. >:O

I do feel terrible for the policemen, but I am frankly more concerned about the political ramifications. Lawmen have died in violent tragedies like these for more than 100 years. It’s tragic but nothing new, and I’m more frightened about how this will be used against law abiding gun owners/enthusiasts than anything else at this point.[/quote]

Again, some might try, but I doubt it will have any legs.

[quote]tom63 wrote:

[/quote]

I may not be as old as many on this forum, but long experience has taught me to never be optimistic about the common sense of the government and the bureaucrats controlling it. I’ve been disappointed too many times, and history is too full of examples to the contrary.

I’d love to believe you though. I’m just too much f a cynic to do so.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
Varqanir wrote:

It’s true. It’ll happen, and fast. The worst part about it is that I’m too broke to go buy one of these death instruments before the ban will hit because I can’t find a damn job that pays me what my education is worth. It’s a double whammy. >:O [/quote]

If you can’t afford the whole rifle, then buy a receiver. It is a quarter of the price, then all you need to do is buy a parts kit. It is also cheaper than buying the whole rifle assembled.

[quote]
I do feel terrible for the policemen, but I am frankly more concerned about the political ramifications. Lawmen have died in violent tragedies like these for more than 100 years.

It’s tragic but nothing new, and I’m more frightened about how this will be used against law abiding gun owners/enthusiasts than anything else at this point.[/quote]

These tragedies do get exploited even if they are very rare.

Makes you wonder who the hell decides to parole someone like that.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Makes you wonder who the hell decides to parole someone like that. [/quote]

Members on a parole board.

Definitely a tragedy.

I’m sure there are those that feel if the cop’s weren’t harassing this poor citizen none of this ever would have happened. Thoughts and prayers go out to these officers families.

lets see, 4 white officers shot by a black guy (who looks like a crackhead) in oakland. Well, this is one racial controversy that jesse jackson will quietly stay out of

the sad thing is that oakland used to be a paradise, but “certain groups” have moved there and poof-- its an infestation of gangs/crack/squalor as per big_boss’s earlier statement about the crack and whatnot over in oakland.

I’m not trying to be offensive here, but some of the things that are going on in america are starting to alarm me. Does anybody else see the kinds of problems that we have?

[quote]lumbernac wrote:
lets see, 4 white officers shot by a black guy (who looks like a crackhead) in oakland. Well, this is one racial controversy that jesse jackson will quietly stay out of[/quote]

I wonder if the white people are going to riot.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
tom63 wrote:

I may not be as old as many on this forum, but long experience has taught me to never be optimistic about the common sense of the government and the bureaucrats controlling it. I’ve been disappointed too many times, and history is too full of examples to the contrary.

I’d love to believe you though. I’m just too much f a cynic to do so.[/quote]

We have made many positive strides IMO. the Heller case, the widespread use of AR style rifles in shooting competitions( the ole sporting purpose), the use of AR style rifles for hunting.

And yes I know the 2nd Amendment isn’t about hunting or shooting competitions, but they are the one who whines about sporting purposes. you can always say, it’s not about sporting purposes, and it shouldn’t matter but they are use for blah blah.

the mainstream media is biased and clueless, but Fox news, talk radio and such gets good info out there on guns.

I know they aren’t going to stop, but I’m not either. My optimism is based on my understanding of the gun culture and how we fight.