Parking Tickets

Is it legal for a University to issue parking tickets without actually putting the slip on the car? They usually put the ticket in an envelope and leave it there, but apparently sometimes they just leave the envelope here?

Long story short. I have surface parking, but the school put up signs (literally duct taped to the wall) that said I couldn’t park where I normally do. I had to move (or get a ticket). It was late, the parking office was closed, and all of the spots were taken. I found one that was open but wasn’t clearly marked. I am a very busy man, and I came back a day or so later and just found an envelope. I pay 400 bucks a semester to park (1200) a year. What’s the next move?

Im not really sure what your asking but Im in Philly and once I had just an envelope with no ticket on my car and didn’t think anything of it cause my bumper was barely in the bus zone. A month or so later, they mailed the ticket to my parent’s house with a fine for not paying on time. So if i were you I would just call the ticketing authority and ask if they gave you a ticket or not. Some douche might have just taken the ticket out of your envelope.

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:
Im not really sure what your asking but Im in Philly and once I had just an envelope with no ticket on my car and didn’t think anything of it cause my bumper was barely in the bus zone. A month or so later, they mailed the ticket to my parent’s house with a fine for not paying on time. So if i were you I would just call the ticketing authority and ask if they gave you a ticket or not. Some douche might have just taken the ticket out of your envelope.

[/quote]

That is exactly what I am asking. Were you able to contest the ticket?

Fighting the Parking Authority in court is a pain in the ass. It’s time consuming, and they bank on you knowing this and just giving in to paying the ticket instead of the wasting a day in court.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Fighting the Parking Authority in court is a pain in the ass. It’s time consuming, and they bank on you knowing this and just giving in to paying the ticket instead of the wasting a day in court.[/quote]

It depends who issues the ticket. When I went to Rutgers, I racked up the tickets. I didn’t have to go to court. They had their own parking authority office. The wait was usually like 30 minutes. I’ve had a few dropped so it was worth the time in my case.

If the ticket it issued by municipal police, then you’ll have to go to city court where your at the mercy of a judge and you could be in there easily for 3 hours.

[quote]Septimum wrote:

[quote]illadelphia91 wrote:

[/quote]

That is exactly what I am asking. Were you able to contest the ticket?[/quote]

I probably could have, but like ID said, the amount of time that would go into fighting the ticket just wouldn’t be worth it.

I don’t think you’re even legally required to pay parking tickets issued by the school.

However, my school withheld your grades/didn’t let you graduate until all your fees (including outstanding parking tickets) were paid.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Fighting the Parking Authority in court is a pain in the ass. It’s time consuming, and they bank on you knowing this and just giving in to paying the ticket instead of the wasting a day in court.[/quote]

It depends who issues the ticket. When I went to Rutgers, I racked up the tickets. I didn’t have to go to court. They had their own parking authority office. The wait was usually like 30 minutes. I’ve had a few dropped so it was worth the time in my case.

If the ticket it issued by municipal police, then you’ll have to go to city court where your at the mercy of a judge and you could be in there easily for 3 hours.
[/quote]

It is a ticket from college.

[quote]therajraj wrote:
I don’t think you’re even legally required to pay parking tickets issued by the school.

However, my school withheld your grades/didn’t let you graduate until all your fees (including outstanding parking tickets) were paid.[/quote]

This is the case for me as well.

[quote]Septimum wrote:

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

It is a ticket from college.[/quote]

I’d fight it if it’s more than 20 bucks. I’ve beat a few in my time. Like raj said, they’ll hold your grades and registration if you don’t pay them. The same thing happened to me.

[quote]therajraj wrote:

However, my school withheld your grades/didn’t let you graduate until all your fees (including outstanding parking tickets) were paid.[/quote]

My school would put a boot on your vehicle if you had a certain number of unpaid tickets.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

x2.

I’ve gotten more parking tickets than I can count (used to be a drug rep, medical buildings have some of the toughest parking enforcement), and at least in Canada, it is totally not worth your time fighting a traffic ticket. It’s basically entrapment, if you want to fight it, the only method is to show up in some god-forsaken traffic court in East-end Scarborough, and they always give you a weekday time-slot (you know, when people “work” at their “jobs” and other such things).

It is legal for your University to issue fines/tickets and even have your car towed if you do not follow the parking regulations. Like others have said, you can fight it at the school’s parking authority office, but do not expect much to come of it. Most people who work for university parking authorities are jackasses and won’t do you any favors.

I would still try, though, but if it doesn’t work pay the fine or your grades will be withheld and the fine may be compounded with time and become very expensive. Overall that will not be worth it.

Well, what happens is that if you don’t pay in 30 days, they will put it on your student account with a 5 dollar late fee (I think). It is convenient, but that does not mean that I am going to go down without fighting because I feel like it is set up so they can squeeze you for a little extra cash whenever they want. I have yet to receive any type of ticket saying what the fine, what fee is, or who wrote it.

The solution is simple.

1. Find out how the tickets are logged on record. Destroy those records. Kill any staff that might be a witness, dispose of the bodies carefully.
  2. Find the person who issued e ticket, kill them and their friends and family, carefully dispose of the bodies.
  3. Live ticket free.

Tthat’s what i would do anyway.