T Nation

Parents Say No to UFC


#1

For those of you who have not yet taken a look at the Bullshido forums today:

http://www.saynotoufc.org/

Endorsed by:
*National Organization for Women (NOW)
*Boston Women's Fund
*Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood
*Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children's Entertainment (TRUCE)

Anybody else as amused as I am?


#2

Interesting to note you can actually change the text in the body of the letter… Someone with a good imagination should create their own text and let those that actually have a sense of fun submit a different version of the complaint by those crazy people.


#3

My gym requires kids class participants to do their homework and turn in report cards with acceptable grades to train. There are very few kids with weight issues there, although more than a few arrive with one. Fighting outside class (except in self defense) gets you kicked out.

Nice to see which organizations are against scholastic, physical, and moral development.


#4

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:
My gym requires kids class participants to do their homework and turn in report cards with acceptable grades to train. There are very few kids with weight issues there, although more than a few arrive with one. Fighting outside class (except in self defense) gets you kicked out.

Nice to see which organizations are against scholastic, physical, and moral development.[/quote]

Those are great policies.

Any Martial Arts school/classes where character development is stressed will be only beneficial for children. They also tend to improve focus, discipline/self control, respect for their peers and elders, and give them a positive outlet for excess energy. Anyone who would argue against such things is obviously an idiot.

That said, I can somewhat understand these organizations aversion to the UFC specifically. Let’s face it, some of the fighters are not the types of role models that I would want influencing my kids (Diaz brothers, Guillard, Kos, etc…). The organization’s president/spokesperson isn’t either. Yes, you have some stand up, classy fighters (GSP, Couture, Stann, etc…), but kids often have a hard time deciphering between good and bad role models. There is also of course the argument that the UFC (and other combat sports) glorify physical violence.

Of course, much of this could probably be countered by simply sitting down with your kids and watching the fights with your child and explaining to them who the idiots and which ones are honorable, respectful representatives of the Martial Arts. One could also explain to the child that they are engaged in a contact sport, not seriously trying to injure each other, and not acting violently out of anger, impulsiveness, or to oppress their opponent (which would all be inappropriate).

But I highly doubt any of the members of these organizations practice martial arts, are combat sports fans, really understand the MMA culture, or would be willing to do the above; so it’s just easier for them to oppose MMA.


#5

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:
For those of you who have not yet taken a look at the Bullshido forums today:

http://www.saynotoufc.org/

Endorsed by:
*National Organization for Women (NOW)
*Boston Women’s Fund
*Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood
*Teachers Resisting Unhealthy Children’s Entertainment (TRUCE)

Anybody else as amused as I am?[/quote]

As if I needed yet another reason to watch even more of the UFC and MMA fighting leagues. This will make it all the sweeter. Winning!


#6

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
That said, I can somewhat understand these organizations aversion to the UFC specifically. Let’s face it, some of the fighters are not the types of role models that I would want influencing my kids (Diaz brothers, Guillard, Kos, etc…). The organization’s president/spokesperson isn’t either. Yes, you have some stand up, classy fighters (GSP, Couture, Stann, etc…), but kids often have a hard time deciphering between good and bad role models. There is also of course the argument that the UFC (and other combat sports) glorify physical violence.
[/quote]

This. These parents aren’t being obnoxious, they’re simply misinformed and worried.


#7

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
That said, I can somewhat understand these organizations aversion to the UFC specifically. Let’s face it, some of the fighters are not the types of role models that I would want influencing my kids (Diaz brothers, Guillard, Kos, etc…). The organization’s president/spokesperson isn’t either. Yes, you have some stand up, classy fighters (GSP, Couture, Stann, etc…), but kids often have a hard time deciphering between good and bad role models. There is also of course the argument that the UFC (and other combat sports) glorify physical violence.
[/quote]

This. These parents aren’t being obnoxious, they’re simply misinformed and worried.
[/quote]
I disagree. This is being pushed by professional activists. They recruiting parents who don’t know any better, but the people in charge are obnoxious and misleading for a living.


#8

[quote]devildog_jim wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
That said, I can somewhat understand these organizations aversion to the UFC specifically. Let’s face it, some of the fighters are not the types of role models that I would want influencing my kids (Diaz brothers, Guillard, Kos, etc…). The organization’s president/spokesperson isn’t either. Yes, you have some stand up, classy fighters (GSP, Couture, Stann, etc…), but kids often have a hard time deciphering between good and bad role models. There is also of course the argument that the UFC (and other combat sports) glorify physical violence.
[/quote]

This. These parents aren’t being obnoxious, they’re simply misinformed and worried.
[/quote]
I disagree. This is being pushed by professional activists. They recruiting parents who don’t know any better, but the people in charge are obnoxious and misleading for a living.[/quote]

Yes agreed. But their “cause” only has any following due to ignorance, misinformation, or focus on the negative examples contained within the sport.