Parents Driving Me Nuts *RANT*

-Stop eating so much, dev.
-You’re eating way too much; PAY FOR YOUR OWN FOOD!
-You’re getting FAT, dev.
-A person with muscles is a person with no brains, dev. (paraphrased from my fatass dad)
-You’re going to DIE of high cholesterol, dev.
-OH MY GOD YOUR HEART IS GOING TO POP BECAUSE YOU EAT MORE THAN ONE EGG YOLK A WEEK, DEV!
-MEAT WILL KIIIIIILLLLLLLLLLLL YOUUUUUUUUUU

Jesus fucking Christ, SHUT THE FUCK UP, TUBBIES.

/end rant

[quote]dev wrote:
-A person with muscles is a person with no brains, dev. (paraphrased from my fatass dad)
-OH MY GOD YOUR HEART IS GOING TO POP BECAUSE YOU EAT MORE THAN ONE EGG YOLK A WEEK, DEV!

/end rant[/quote]

1. That won’t stop until you move out.
  2. Nothing you say will make them change their perspective as long as you live there…you are the “kid”.
  3. Learn to ignore them and pay for your own food by getting a JOB.
  4. Move AWAY to college.
  5. Actually do something with your education while continuing to train. That will be the only way to prove “A person with muscles is a person with no brains” as a wrong statement.

I went through worse which is why I gained no weight at all until I got to college. Even though I worked from the age of 15 and bought much of my own food and supplements, I didn’t know how to cook (something I didn’t learn until I moved out). That led to me either eating fast food as a source of food intake or going hungry much of the time. My mom just started going to the gym this past year (remember, I was a personal trainer) while my dad will probably never go despite health problems. There is some truth to the saying that old people can’t change. Then again, my mom is on a whole fitness kick suddenly so maybe she was actually listening to some of it.

I started buying all my own food and cooking for myself when I was 16, no reason you can’t do it too. It really is the only way to stop the nagging.

When I was around 17, my mom got a doctor friend of hers to warn me about the dangers of steroids, because she found a bottle of creatine in the cupboard. I used to hide my multivitamins in the bookshelf, behind books. Parents are parents, and they are good to worry, but often they are unwilling to listen.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
dev wrote:

/end rant

1. That won’t stop until you move out.
  2. Nothing you say will make them change their perspective as long as you live there…you are the “kid”.
  3. Learn to ignore them and pay for your own food by getting a JOB.
  4. Move AWAY to college.
  5. Actually do something with your education while continuing to train. That will be the only way to prove “A person with muscles is a person with no brains” as a wrong statement.

I went through worse which is why I gained no weight at all until I got to college. Even though I worked from the age of 15 and bought much of my own food and supplements, I didn’t know how to cook (something I didn’t learn until I moved out). That led to me either eating fast food as a source of food intake or going hungry much of the time. My mom just started going to the gym this past year (remember, I was a personal trainer) while my dad will probably never go despite health problems. There is some truth to the saying that old people can’t change. Then again, my mom is on a whole fitness kick suddenly so maybe she was actually listening to some of it.[/quote]

ProfX hits it on the head.

Most of us here have poor role models as parents who learned something 20 years ago and think they know everything.

When I was a teen living at home my father would tell me that the only way to get big muscle was to eat a loaf of bread a day and all the potato/pasta/rice I could stomach.

Meat / protein was considered good only in small quanities IE if we had chicken you only got a leg or a thigh or one pork chop. This from a guy who was 80+lbs over weight, smoked 3 packs a day, drank 12 cups of coffee each morning with cream and 4 spoons of sugar, and never exercised.

Once you are on your own supporting yourself you can do what you want. Otherwise you will just have to make do like the rest of us did.

Luckily, I had two pretty supporitive parents. They always took an interest in my lifting (and other sports). Although, from when I was about 16 up till now (25), I still get an occasional “how much bigger do you want to get?” from my mother.

I always bought my own supplements and much of my own food once I hit my soph. year in HS. I also cooked for myself 90% of the time. Not that my parents wouldn’t have paid for the food or cooked, but I thought it the polite thing to do for me to do it myself rather than burden someone else.

Dev,

I used to have the same problem a few years back. My parents never liked me learning Karate, saying I was too small and skinny for that.

The irony:

1. You will never become big and strong without hard work.

2. Karate was invented by small and skinny guys.

And of course they never tried to understand.

So just keep it up, Dev. One day you will be able to prove yourself to the folks.

Geek boy