T Nation

Parents Are Starving Me!

lol i was just expecting this thread to be buried.

my parents live in Kitchener, and i usually live in Mississauga, but i went to school in K town at FHCI

you’re totally right about the squatting lol, I went to the YMCA a few times over holidays and the people who squat there are horrendous

This happened to me actually when I visited my real mother a few years ago. She actively limited my food intake. I wasn’t allowed to get anything in the kitchen without asking and all meals were pre-measured. You would be given a plate with your meal so there was no chance of grabbing some extra meat or anything. I always had the same amount as everyone else, even though I outweighed the next heaviest person by a good 30kgs, at a much lower bodyfat %.

One night I stayed up late and made myself a 3egg ommelete at around 1am. The next morning she sat me down and told me that was ‘inappropriate’ and I should’ve just gone to bed hungry.

So I simply bought a huge bag of almonds and cashews from the shops and snacked on them.

To then be told that I was “greedy” for not offering them to anyone else.

Yeah. I’ll never visit my mother again for longer than a few hours. Only an idiot would gear up for another round of that kind of crap.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
This happened to me actually when I visited my real mother a few years ago. She actively limited my food intake. I wasn’t allowed to get anything in the kitchen without asking and all meals were pre-measured. You would be given a plate with your meal so there was no chance of grabbing some extra meat or anything. I always had the same amount as everyone else, even though I outweighed the next heaviest person by a good 30kgs, at a much lower bodyfat %.

One night I stayed up late and made myself a 3egg ommelete at around 1am. The next morning she sat me down and told me that was ‘inappropriate’ and I should’ve just gone to bed hungry.

So I simply bought a huge bag of almonds and cashews from the shops and snacked on them.

To then be told that I was “greedy” for not offering them to anyone else.

Yeah. I’ll never visit my mother again for longer than a few hours. Only an idiot would gear up for another round of that kind of crap. [/quote]

That’s absolutely insane. In kind of a creepy way.

I wonder what her logic behind all that was.

Did you every ask her to explain why she was acting like she did? Seems very, very odd.

lol i think shes maybe a control freak mom. or like one of those nuts moms who hoardes shit on ebay and fills the house to the brim with junk

I take it if your taking the bus downtown then Popeye�??s Gym is too far to go? At least most of the people there would be better to workout with then at the Y.

No leftover turkey? We�??ve had so much of the stuff I�??m in a stupor from it and just about had enough of it for awhile, no matter how good it is for you. Guess next time you head home you�??ll have to smuggle a tub of protein in with you just to offset the carbs.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
This happened to me actually when I visited my real mother a few years ago. She actively limited my food intake. I wasn’t allowed to get anything in the kitchen without asking and all meals were pre-measured. You would be given a plate with your meal so there was no chance of grabbing some extra meat or anything. I always had the same amount as everyone else, even though I outweighed the next heaviest person by a good 30kgs, at a much lower bodyfat %.

One night I stayed up late and made myself a 3egg ommelete at around 1am. The next morning she sat me down and told me that was ‘inappropriate’ and I should’ve just gone to bed hungry.

So I simply bought a huge bag of almonds and cashews from the shops and snacked on them.

To then be told that I was “greedy” for not offering them to anyone else.

Yeah. I’ll never visit my mother again for longer than a few hours. Only an idiot would gear up for another round of that kind of crap. [/quote]

How old were you at the time? If you say anything over 18, then your mom is a total psycho, no offense.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
How old were you at the time? If you say anything over 18, then your mom is a total psycho, no offense.[/quote]

It’s a cultural thing. I consider it rude to eat alone. Every time I take out a snack and nobody’s eating, I propose a bite to the others (praying they’ll do the sensible thing and refuse). This is actually a good thread. I have been sabotaging my social life because of my meticulous nutrition plan (hence, my activity on the web) and was wondering how many people were in the same boat.

What would you do in my situation? Carry bigger meals/snacks to offset the few who actually take a bite? Be “rude” and just ignore them? I could use a tip.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
How old were you at the time? If you say anything over 18, then your mom is a total psycho, no offense.[/quote]

Lol… 25years old my man.

She’s a very controlling person. She seems to be unhappy most of the time.

I’ve talked it over with her a few times. She won’t budge. She doesn’t seem to remember most things, flat out denies others, and then says that I might have mental problems.

It’s strange… I had a pretty rough time in my teens. Couldn’t keep a job or get a girlfriend. And we got along great.

But now that I’m self employed, running a good business, married to a great lady and basically am doing well for myself, she’s extremely critical and negative. To the point that I sometimes just can’t bring myself to answer her or even sit in the front of the car with her because the things she talks about are just… why would you dwell on that? And think about it in that way?

I’m trying to stay in touch with her but to be honest, I don’t need this negativity in my life, and she has too much pride to ever change or apologise. I actually have an email from her where she itemises my ‘complaints’ and says at the bottom “I make no apology”.

She is a principal of a school. I think the job has gotten to her but y’know… we all have our crosses to bear.

I used to wish she was supportive etc… but I’m a grown man now. We’re all set on our paths. I’m happy with mine.

But I guess I wouldn’t be writing this if it didn’t cause me some emotional pain.

My wife said recently that if we had children, she wouldn’t want my mother to have anything to do with them after seeing how my mother chats to me.

Fucking sucks hey. But she’s made her bed.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
How old were you at the time? If you say anything over 18, then your mom is a total psycho, no offense.

It’s a cultural thing. I consider it rude to eat alone. Every time I take out a snack and nobody’s eating, I propose a bite to the others (praying they’ll do the sensible thing and refuse). This is actually a good thread. I have been sabotaging my social life because of my meticulous nutrition plan (hence, my activity on the web) and was wondering how many people were in the same boat.

What would you do in my situation? Carry bigger meals/snacks to offset the few who actually take a bite? Be “rude” and just ignore them? I could use a tip.[/quote]

Sweden isn’t the US, but if someone tries to take my food it goes something like this: “Fuck you, get your own food, I take time out of my busy life to prep full meals and to calculate how much I need at each meal, I’m not going to give someone who was lazy any of my food.”

[quote]lixy wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
How old were you at the time? If you say anything over 18, then your mom is a total psycho, no offense.

It’s a cultural thing. I consider it rude to eat alone. Every time I take out a snack and nobody’s eating, I propose a bite to the others (praying they’ll do the sensible thing and refuse). This is actually a good thread. I have been sabotaging my social life because of my meticulous nutrition plan (hence, my activity on the web) and was wondering how many people were in the same boat.

What would you do in my situation? Carry bigger meals/snacks to offset the few who actually take a bite? Be “rude” and just ignore them? I could use a tip.[/quote]

generally when I was at school or whereever I just didn’t give two shits if I made someone uncomfortable eating by myself. Oh, your hungry now too? Theres a vending machine for your needs. Asshole? Yes, but I work hard for my money and food. To hard to waste it on someone who doesn’t care/like th efood I eat.

[quote]lixy wrote:
Uncle Gabby wrote:
How old were you at the time? If you say anything over 18, then your mom is a total psycho, no offense.

It’s a cultural thing. I consider it rude to eat alone. Every time I take out a snack and nobody’s eating, I propose a bite to the others (praying they’ll do the sensible thing and refuse). This is actually a good thread. I have been sabotaging my social life because of my meticulous nutrition plan (hence, my activity on the web) and was wondering how many people were in the same boat.

What would you do in my situation? Carry bigger meals/snacks to offset the few who actually take a bite? Be “rude” and just ignore them? I could use a tip.[/quote]

If I’m eating a snack in front of friends and family I will offer them some. But lecturing him because he bought some eggs and cooked them for himself because he was hungry is insane. Measuring out perfectly equal meal portions, and not letting anyone have seconds is insane.

Of course my family’s cooking enough to feed 300 people and insisting that you stuff yourself till you’re about to explode isn’t much better, but this is the South, that’s how we roll.

That’s funny…I went home to visit my folks too for xmas and I lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks. The first day I was home I went shopping and stocked up on the basics but I somehow ended up missing a meal a day and my workouts were total garbage. I can;t believe how much training directly effects the amount off food I can consume. With these crappy workouts I just didn’t fell like eating.