T Nation

Paralysis by Analysis with all your Programs

CT and to anyone else

I find myself at times a bit overwhelmed by all your programs, and I get stuck with which program to do, I dont want to be a program hopper, but with so many awesome programs its hard to pick one (I always have the thoughts in my head 'what if I would be getting better results if I had chosen x program).

I’d love to hear CT’s and everyones thoughts on which program is best for: fat loss focus, general body comp cange, max strength and max muscle.

as well as in which order you would put programs

thanks

[quote]DIPS33 wrote:
CT and to anyone else

I find myself at times a bit overwhelmed by all your programs, and I get stuck with which program to do, I dont want to be a program hopper, but with so many awesome programs its hard to pick one (I always have the thoughts in my head 'what if I would be getting better results if I had chosen x program).

I’d love to hear CT’s and everyones thoughts on which program is best for: fat loss focus, general body comp cange, max strength and max muscle.

as well as in which order you would put programs

thanks[/quote]

Generally speaking all of my programs aim to increase muscle mass and strength/performance. And there isn’t one program for X and one program for Y… really they are all great programs that are just different approaches to get to a goal. And they were never designed to be done back to back (e.g. program X followed by program Y, followed by program Z, etc.).

If anything when I write down programs they are mostly to illustrate a set of principles in action in hope to teach people how to train properly.

This seems to be a sentiment shared by many trainees, being overwhelmed by what program, exercises, sets/reps, supplementation, etc to do. There are two important points–one is to trust a program given by a coach and follow it as closely as possible from start to finish. It’s ESPECIALLY important for novice trainees. It’s so easy to spot novices on these boards because a) they switch programs every two weeks, and b) they try to modify or blend programs, probably because they don’t trust the design or because they want to have everything at once. The second point is, when you are beyond novice and have gotten to use and experience a variety of training methods, exercises, etc and learned what works “for you,” training should be more creative. Intermediate/advanced people just don’t ask for a coach’s or anyone else’s blessing on what to do, they just experiment for themselves and find out!

I think of training like going to culinary school. When you set foot in day one, your job is to shut your mouth, listen, and do what your told. You are taught a many, many varieties of ways to reach a variety of goals, but only if you listen and apply. When the time comes, you go off armed with your knowledge and tools, and you create your own master pieces. Learn all you can and figure out how to make it work for you.

[quote]mrjasonbbc wrote:
This seems to be a sentiment shared by many trainees, being overwhelmed by what program, exercises, sets/reps, supplementation, etc to do. There are two important points–one is to trust a program given by a coach and follow it as closely as possible from start to finish. It’s ESPECIALLY important for novice trainees. It’s so easy to spot novices on these boards because a) they switch programs every two weeks, and b) they try to modify or blend programs, probably because they don’t trust the design or because they want to have everything at once. The second point is, when you are beyond novice and have gotten to use and experience a variety of training methods, exercises, etc and learned what works “for you,” training should be more creative. Intermediate/advanced people just don’t ask for a coach’s or anyone else’s blessing on what to do, they just experiment for themselves and find out!

I think of training like going to culinary school. When you set foot in day one, your job is to shut your mouth, listen, and do what your told. You are taught a many, many varieties of ways to reach a variety of goals, but only if you listen and apply. When the time comes, you go off armed with your knowledge and tools, and you create your own master pieces. Learn all you can and figure out how to make it work for you.[/quote]

Very well put.