T Nation

Parallel Dips for Triceps

I have started to include parallel dips to my work out as I wanted an elbow friendly way to train my triceps other than close grip bench.

Whilst I understand the concept of lean forward = more chest and more upright = more triceps but is that really the case ?

Personally I would like to target my triceps with this exercise however I find it more natural to lean slightly forward when executing this exercise as this allows me more reps which in turn would mean more weight, plus if it feels more natural I would assume I have less chance of an injury.

So the question in short is if wanting to build my triceps does it really matter how you do the parallel dip as long as your not leaning forward to the extreme or is it important to be bolt upright ?

You’re majoring in the minors. Your triceps will grow as long as you are progressing in the movement regardless of whether you’re upright or leaning forward.

Sending the shoulders forwards and keeping the forearms vertical is biomechanically sound. You could however let the elbows drift backwards behind your wrists to create a moment arm between the elbow and wrist and increase the demands on the triceps. This will also increase shear, though.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
You’re majoring in the minors. Your triceps will grow as long as you are progressing in the movement regardless of whether you’re upright or leaning forward. [/quote]

Thanks that was what I was thinking I just needed to hear it off someone with more experience :slight_smile:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
You’re majoring in the minors. Your triceps will grow as long as you are progressing in the movement regardless of whether you’re upright or leaning forward. [/quote]

Definitely. If you have 2 or 3 plates on the dip belt, you will have big ass triceps regardless of if you lean forward or not.

Truth. When you get up to or near half your bodyweight, your triceps will be on fire, even with a hefty forward lean.

[quote]knokkelezoute73 wrote:
Sending the shoulders forwards and keeping the forearms vertical is biomechanically sound. You could however let the elbows drift backwards behind your wrists to create a moment arm between the elbow and wrist and increase the demands on the triceps. This will also increase shear, though.[/quote]

From the Lower Lats thread:

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]johnflower wrote:
Bigger weights are more important than details such as hand position.
[/quote]

Uh,… no, not if the stress isn’t going where you want it to. All the talk of hand position relates to the angle of your arms, which will reflect the angle of pull on your lats during the exercise. The angle of your torso also relates to how the ratio of horizontal plane vs vertical plane back muscles break down.

Just focusing on weights is just one variable in the equation. This is why so many gym rats spend years chasing #s and still look like crap.

S[/quote]