Parallel Bar Dip = Collar Bone Pain

Upon completing a set of dips, whilst putting my feet back on the foot platforms, I experience a bit of a pain in both of my collar bones. Its quite a sharp pain but I can minimize it if I lower myself gently down after the set.

I was just wondering if anyone else experiences this, or is it just me having poor clavicles or something. I have no other problems with my clavicles/ shoulders etc.

I experience this as well, but to tell you the truth, I have no idea what the issue is. Dips also bother my shoulder a lot, so I really don’t do them much. I’d like to see if anyone else has experienced and/or knows why this occurs.

I had the same problem exactly when I used wide dipping bars. Then i switched gyms and the new gym had really narrow bars and the pain in the collarbones went away completely. So by that i found out that i get pain if i use it as a chest movement, but i’m ok using it as a triceps movement.

But then again, there are lots of exercises that targets the same muscles that gets the job done and fits your body better.

Same issue here with shoulder/collar pain. I just stopped doing them altogether. In place of them I now just use CGBP, skullcrushers, and rope pushdowns for triceps.

Try not letting your head sink between your shoulders while you do dips (if that makes any sense).

In other words, in my experience it seems that the shrugged position of the shoulders that people have when doing dips can facilitate this kind of pain.

[quote]Carnage wrote:
Try not letting your head sink between your shoulders while you do dips (if that makes any sense).[/quote]

Also, suck as much air into your chest as you can. If there’s no pressure buildup, the pain can be worse.

A lot of younger guys get this. My suggestion would be to get as strong as possible with a different bodyweight exercise like pushups and go back to dips later ONLY when they don’t hurt.

[quote]Carnage wrote:
Try not letting your head sink between your shoulders while you do dips (if that makes any sense).

In other words, in my experience it seems that the shrugged position of the shoulders that people have when doing dips can facilitate this kind of pain. [/quote]

I would echo what Carnage is saying here.

I am able to completely avoid this pain by consciously pushing my shoulders down throughout the movement to keep them from shrugging up and losing the tension around the joints where you really need it to be.

[quote]Sick Rick wrote:
Carnage wrote:

Also, suck as much air into your chest as you can. If there’s no pressure buildup, the pain can be worse.

[/quote]

These are both good suggestions. I would say try to keep your chest ‘up’ or ‘out’ rather than let it sink in as you descend in the movement.

Also, do you sleep primarily on your sides? I notice that I get collarbone pain when doing dips if I’ve been sleeping on my sides too much.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I�??ll defiantly give these suggestions a try.