Panzerfaust vs 2012 - 531 Full Body

Pleased to hear my back was fine. Considering I was 30kgs under my max It would have been a bitch if my back was still rounding!
Fingers crossed it won’t take me too long to work back up to decent reps on my 5/3/1 day. In the meantime I will just take the reps slowly even and concentrate hard on form, even if it means I’m effectively doing singles.

@Blueline - I’ll hunt down the videos thanks. The only one I’ve really seen so far is Rip’s. I was going for the “scapula over bar” spot, but I did feel like I go dragged forward a bit with the 165kg pull so I’ll give it a go as you suggested. Regarding music choice, my flatmates think I’m a crackhead with the mix which varies between Springsteen and 2pac haha.

@Atypical - Yeah I was originally doing 3 x 10 (plus warm ups) but switched with 3 x 5 for 5/3/1 week and that helped my energy levels a lot. Even light squats are taxing at high reps. I considered deadlifting before OHP but I’ll leave it as is for now. And you are dead right; on the second clip I didn’t appear to quite lock out. Hopefully as I get more comfortable with the new form I’ll improve this.

I’m planning to reset deadlifts next cycle with 185kgs and work back up concentrating on form. 500 (lb) is my goal for the year, so I have a fair bit of work to do!

Cheers

[video]2254[/video]
Here’s my last set from my 531 squat day last week. Depth may be a bit sketchy but the angle makes it look worse. Any form comments welcome though it isn’t the best clip… particularly with the overly loud music haha.

i don’t know enough to give you advice on form (although it looks fine to me)

but i will say your depth looked good on all reps!

Haha, yeah I THINK it’s ok, the adidas stripes may be creating illusions.

Phase 1/Cycle 1/Week 4/Day 1

MONDAY 23.01.2012
Squat
5 x 50
5 x 65
5 x 75

DB bench
13 x 20 / 5 chin ups
13 x 20 / 5 chin ups
13 x 20 / 5 chin ups

DB row
12 x 25
12 x 25
12 x 25

Ab wheel roll

DEADLIFT
70 x 5 singles
90 x 3 singles
120 x 3 singles
150 x 2 singles

NOTES:
-Day 1 of my deload; was fairly fried after last week so glad for the rest.

-Really trying to fix my deadlift form so I took advantage of the light workout to throw some light-ish deadlift singles in, concentrating on walking straight up to the bar and ripping it with good form. Also concentrating hard on not dicking around for ages with my set up; trying to erase the nervousness and get good motor patterns going. All these reps looked good on video review. Not sure how often I can throw deadlift singles in without messing with my recovery… guess I will find out!

-Keeping accessory progression going through deload week; won’t hammer the sleds/hills too much though.

squat form looked good to me. depth looked fine as well.

as for adding the deadlift singles, this is why i chose to start a full body routine. More practice on the lifts. I was actually doing the 5/3/1 for powerlifting with a full body routine set up just last month. i love throwing in the singles, but my body responds better to heavy singles. Maybe it’s just mental, but the more i handle heavier weights, the less nervous they make me and easier they feel. Repping lighter weight didn’t seem to carry over as well for me.

also, nice ink.

[quote]BlueLineCretin wrote:
squat form looked good to me. depth looked fine as well.

as for adding the deadlift singles, this is why i chose to start a full body routine. More practice on the lifts. I was actually doing the 5/3/1 for powerlifting with a full body routine set up just last month. i love throwing in the singles, but my body responds better to heavy singles. Maybe it’s just mental, but the more i handle heavier weights, the less nervous they make me and easier they feel. Repping lighter weight didn’t seem to carry over as well for me.

also, nice ink.[/quote]
Haha, thanks. Yeah go the predominantly black forearm!

I can go a fair bit deeper on my squats, but I am following Wendler’s advice of just breaking parallel. ATG may be more beneficial but I have strong friends to catch up to.

Interesting. Are there set percentages for the 5/3/1 Powerlifting singles?

Previously I’ve also done pretty well with deadlift singles. I ran an 11-week Mark Philippi singles program which worked really well for me as a beginner.

I agree on the mental thing; trying to fix my form I was initially thinking I’ll re-set with a lower max for my next cycle, but the singles on Monday were flying up easily with good form, so maybe I don’t have weak hamstrings and just need to get the biomechanics drilled in. Either way, the easy singles made me feel more optimistic for the next cycle. I’d throw heavy rack pulls in too, but wouldn’t have a clue how to program it without messing up my routine.

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:

Haha, thanks. Yeah go the predominantly black forearm!

I can go a fair bit deeper on my squats, but I am following Wendler’s advice of just breaking parallel. ATG may be more beneficial but I have strong friends to catch up to.

Interesting. Are there set percentages for the 5/3/1 Powerlifting singles?

Previously I’ve also done pretty well with deadlift singles. I ran an 11-week Mark Philippi singles program which worked really well for me as a beginner.

I agree on the mental thing; trying to fix my form I was initially thinking I’ll re-set with a lower max for my next cycle, but the singles on Monday were flying up easily with good form, so maybe I don’t have weak hamstrings and just need to get the biomechanics drilled in. Either way, the easy singles made me feel more optimistic for the next cycle. I’d throw heavy rack pulls in too, but wouldn’t have a clue how to program it without messing up my routine.[/quote]

I suppose the predominantly black ink goes well with the All Blacks hahahaha.

Swap the 5’s and 3’s weeks (so 3/5/1 instead of 5/3/1). Only get the required reps for each week, but in the 3’s and 1’s week, throw in some heavier singles after the work sets. 5’s week will just be required reps, no singles. i always went for at least 3 singles. It basically turns the 5/3/1 sets into warm up sets.

^Very true, but groan-worthy nonetheless!

Phase 1/Cycle 1/Week 4/Day 2

WEDNESDAY 25.01.2012
Squat
5 x 50
5 x 65
5 x 75

Bench
32.5 x 5 / Row 20 x 10
40 x 5 / Row 20 x 10
47.5 x 5 / Row 20 x 10

Chin ups
8,4,5,4,4,5, (range of grips)

Front squat iso holds
100 x 10s
130 x 30s
140 x 30s
150 x 20s

NOTES:
-150kg Front squat iso holds were pretty rad.

Phase 1/Cycle 1/Week 4/Day 3

FRIDAY 28.01.12
Squat
5 x 50
5 x 65
5 x 75

Press
5 x 22.5 / 5 chins
5 x 30 / 5 chins
5 x 35 / 5 chins

Deadlift
5 x 70
5 x 90
5 x 105

Hanging leg raise

NOTES:
-So, the end of cycle 1. I’m enjoying the extra squatting volume though it’s very light. For my light squat days, I’m trying to go down very slow and deep, pausing before exploding back up. Feels like a very well rounded program so far. I hope the deadlifting improves next cycle, though I will try to just be patient and work on my form. I don’t think I will reset it afterall.

-Weight hasn’t changed, still around 90kgs.

-I feel this full body approach is Excactly what my upper body lifts needed. If things continue this way, I will reach my 2012 goals easily.

-Bring on the next cycle!

Phase 1/Cycle 2/Week 1/Day 1

MONDAY 30.01.2012

Squat
5 x 85
5 x 97.5
7 x 110kg

DB bench
14 x 20 / 5 chin ups
14 x 20 / 5 chin ups
14 x 20kg / 5 chin ups

DB row
14 x 25
14 x 25
14 x 25kg

Ab wheel roll

NOTES:

-Really happy to be in my second cycle of FBT. So this is the beginning of the second Cycle of the first Phase, remembering I am doing 3 cycles of each routine. I felt energised and positive through this workout; the deload was what I needed.

-Bodyweight was 91kg.

-Really hit the accessories hard while keeping squats to just above required reps but focusing on form and depth.

just checking in to say nice lifting man.

^thanks man! When is your comp?

Phase 1/Cycle 2/Week 1/Day 2

WEDNESDAY 01.02.2012
Squat
5 x 52.5
5 x 65
5 x 77.5

Bench (5/5/X)
55 x 5 / Row 20 x 10
62.5 x 5 / Row 20 x 10
70 x 10 / Row 20 x 10

Chin ups
10, 10, 10 (yeah!)

Front squat iso holds
100 x 10s
130 x 20s
140 x 20s

NOTES:

-Had a really energetic and positive workout. Made a note of my eating etc as something really clicked and worked well for me.

-The benching felt very good; could have pushed more out.

-Chin ups; first time I’ve ever got 3 sets of 10 without having to break it into mini sets. I felt like a crack addict thrashing them out. Awesome!

-Also did sled drags Tuesday and Thursday.

Cool log and good lifting man :slight_smile:

Looks like you are headed towards outer strongolia :wink:

Front Squat iso holds are the bees knees. I’m addicted to those and ab wheel roll outs.

The meet is not until April. I switched to beltless everything a while ago and I’ve got my beltless maxes up to my belted maxes, so this month I’m throwing the belt back on to see what sort of damage i can do. I’ll probably spend most of March going beltless as well. So far this full body training experiment is paying off nicely.

Thanks Florelius in the bitter north! Strongolia sounds like a wonderful place.

Video of my squats from Monday; 5/5/X week. Was not really going for max effort, just playing around with a slightly wider stance and trying to hit depth.

[video]2259[/video]

[quote]BlueLineCretin wrote:
Front Squat iso holds are the bees knees. I’m addicted to those and ab wheel roll outs.

The meet is not until April. I switched to beltless everything a while ago and I’ve got my beltless maxes up to my belted maxes, so this month I’m throwing the belt back on to see what sort of damage i can do. I’ll probably spend most of March going beltless as well. So far this full body training experiment is paying off nicely.[/quote]

Have you been doing them a while, and if so where do you see the benefits? I put them in after reading a comment on a forum about their carryover to general core strength. I don’t like doing actual “core” balancey type exercises, so ab wheel rolls, hanging leg raises and FS iso holds are it for me. Though I do glute bridges on squat and deadlift days.

Good to hear your training is going according to plan!

Phase 1/Cycle 2/Week 1/Day 3

FRIDAY 03.02.12
Squat
5 x 52.5
5 x 65
5 x 77.5

Press (5/5/X)
5 x 40 / 5 chins
5 x 45 / 5 chins
7 x 52.5 / 5 chins

Deadlift (5/5/X)
5 x 112.5
5 x 135
6 x 152.5

Hanging leg raise

NOTES:

-Felt mostly good, possibly a bit weaker than Wednesday but I had a fairly grim sled sprint session last night plus it’s Friday and my body just wants to shut down for the weekend haha.

-Deadlifts continue to haunt me a bit; will post a video. I saw a bit of back rounding at the beginning of one or two reps but I think it was mental fatigue making me not set properly. I haven’t deloaded them; if I struggle this cycle I definitely will though.

-BW 89.9kg.

Deadlifts: do them first on dead day. i sometimes work up to 1RMs on both squats and deads on the same day - but deadlift first
I’m of the school of thought that shoulders should be forward of the bar, and less ‘squatting down’, more hip hinge. this also lets you round the upper back at the setup and reduce the distance from the bar.

Squats are looking great

Cheers for stopping in Caveman - had a look at your log and you’re a damn strong lifer. Yeah I feel I should follow Wendler’s program to the letter, and he specifically says squat first every day. But TBH the squats aren’t tiring me at all since I dropped to the minimum of 5 reps; it’s probably the OHP which is causing the problem.
You’re right though - deadlifting when already fatigued is fairly unpleasant, especially when I’m in the process of trying to fix some form issues.
Next week is “3” week - I will adjust the order of Day 3 and see how it pans out.

[quote]panzerfaust wrote:
Have you been doing them a while, and if so where do you see the benefits? I put them in after reading a comment on a forum about their carryover to general core strength. I don’t like doing actual “core” balancey type exercises, so ab wheel rolls, hanging leg raises and FS iso holds are it for me. Though I do glute bridges on squat and deadlift days.

Good to hear your training is going according to plan![/quote]

yeah, i can’t think of a time when i would be needing to squat, press, pull, etc during an earthquake, so i have no use for bosu/balance crap. I throw them in a few times a month for “core” work. However, i think the main i thing i get from them is just getting comfortable supporting heavier loads. I guess i treat them as a FS lockout/iso hold.