T Nation

Panic in NY


#1

[i]An Air Force One lookalike, the backup plane for the one regularly used by the president, flew low over parts of New York and New Jersey on Monday morning, accompanied by two F-16 fighters, so Air Force photographers could take pictures high above the New York harbor.

But the exercise ? conducted without any notification to the public ? caused momentary panic in some quarters and led to the evacuation of several buildings in Lower Manhattan and Jersey City. [..]

Unaware of the planned exercise, scores of office workers flooded out of buildings, worried about the prospect of terrorism.

?People came pouring out of the buildings, the American Express Building, all the buildings in the financial district by the water,? said Edward Acker, a photographer who was at the building, 3 World Financial Center. ?And even the construction guys over by 100 North End Avenue area, they all got out of their buildings. Nobody knew about it. Finally some guy showed up with a little megaphone to tell everyone it was a test, but the people were not happy. The people who were here 9/11 were not happy.?

Mr. Acker added: ?New York City police were standing right there and they had no knowledge of it. The evacuations were spontaneous. Guys from the floor came out, and one guy I talked to was just shaking.?

Even the markets dipped shortly after 10 a.m., though it was unclear if the alarm over the planes was a factor. Starting at 10:02 a.m., three main market indexes started dropping precipitously. The Dow Jones industrial average dropped 40 points in 10 minutes, starting 10:15 a.m., before it rebounded more than 50 points.

In Jersey City, construction workers were evacuated from a condominium tower under construction at 77 Hudson Street.

The workers, who were on the 32nd floor of the construction site, said the plane circled three times past the Goldman Sachs tower, the tallest building in New Jersey. On the second pass, they said, the jet appeared to be only a few dozen feet from the building ? close enough to clip the side of the skyscraper. A fighter followed right behind, mirroring its moves.

The construction site as were other buildings in downtown Jersey City, including offices in the Exchange Place financial complex.

Carlina Rivera, 25, who works at an educational services company on the 22nd floor of 1 Liberty Plaza, said her co-workers were spooked in part because their offices are so close to the site of the 9/11 attack. ?As soon as someone saw how close it got to the buildings, people literally ran out,? she said. ?Probably about 80 percent of my office left within two minutes of seeing how close it got to our building.?

Ms. Rivera, who was a high school student in the East Village when the 9/11 attack occurred, added, ?I did feel a little bit foolish for staying in the office while everyone left.?

Ms. Rivera said eventually there was a message made over the public announcement system that the plane was an advertisement for a movie ? which she said that did not coincide with what they were reading online about the plane taking pictures of the Statue of Liberty. ?It was a little confusing. What was the truth?? she said.

Ms. Rivera continued: ?Of course, everyone had to take out their cellphones and say, ?You can come back, it?s O.K.? Eventually they returned with some sort of comfort food. We feel like we should have at least been warned.?

At 1 Liberty Plaza, according to another person who works in Lower Manhattan, a loudspeaker announcement said at 10:55 a.m., ?Planes were observed flying low over Lower Manhattan, but were part of an approved federal action.?

Johnny Villafane, 42, of the Upper West Side, said, ?The plane did a 360. There was a vibration. The glass in the skyscrapers was shivering.? He added, ?It sounded like the building were cracking, everything started shaking. I thought the plane was coming down.?

Sidney Bordley, a floor director in an office building at 1 Battery Park Place, said, ?People were running out of the office, claiming they saw a commercial flight being pursued by F-16?s.? He added, ?There was some confusion and a little excitement.?

A group of financial services workers, who were gathered outside the same building but declined to give their names, described their reactions. ?I saw the landing gear and I was out of here,? one said. Another said: ?There were people in my elevator, sweating and shaking. There were women
crying. It was not an experience to be taken lightly.?[/i]

Boo!


#2

Can’t blame them.


#3

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Can’t blame them.[/quote]

I don’t.

But I hear Obama sent the plane as a stimulus plan for the cleaning and underwear industry.


#4

[quote]lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Can’t blame them.

I don’t.

But I hear Obama sent the plane as a stimulus plan for the cleaning and underwear industry.[/quote]

Ok.


#5

Just one example of how Obama has been wasting too much money flying around the nation and world for public relations boosts.


#6

“Can’t blame them” for this either? Sloth?

US authorites divert Air France flight carrying ‘no-fly’ journalist to Mexico

American authorities reportedly refused an Air France flight from Paris to Mexico entry into US airspace because a left-wing journalist writing a book on the CIA was on board.

Land of the free and home of the…what was it again?


#7

Lixy what are you doing here? When are you going to tie this to the war in Iraq?


#8

[quote]lixy wrote:
“Can’t blame them” for this either? Sloth?

US authorites divert Air France flight carrying ‘no-fly’ journalist to Mexico

American authorities reportedly refused an Air France flight from Paris to Mexico entry into US airspace because a left-wing journalist writing a book on the CIA was on board.

Land of the free and home of the…what was it again?[/quote]

Home of the free to control our airspace.

Edit: Our “sphere of influence,” as you’d call it.


#9

I’d panic too if I knew the Big O was coming . . .nothing scares me more than this words.

I’m Barack Obama and I am here to help!


#10

[quote]Sloth wrote:
lixy wrote:
“Can’t blame them” for this either? Sloth?

US authorites divert Air France flight carrying ‘no-fly’ journalist to Mexico

American authorities reportedly refused an Air France flight from Paris to Mexico entry into US airspace because a left-wing journalist writing a book on the CIA was on board.

Land of the free and home of the…what was it again?

Home of the free to control our airspace.[/quote]

Right on!! We could have just shot the silly plane down . . . wait, no - that was the Soviet solution . . .


#11

Looks like the Obamessiah has got some splainin’ to do… Fire up those teleprompters!


#12

[quote]skaz05 wrote:
Looks like the Obamessiah has got some splainin’ to do… Fire up those teleprompters![/quote]

Yea. Stupid him. Using teleprompters. He should just gut it out like old George did and come up with some bullshit retard phrases that can humiliate the country because they elected a babbling mongoloid.

Oh man, do I miss old W…


#13

He trolled you all.


#14

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Looks like the Obamessiah has got some splainin’ to do… Fire up those teleprompters!

Yea. Stupid him. Using teleprompters. He should just gut it out like old George did and come up with some bullshit retard phrases that can humiliate the country because they elected a babbling mongoloid.

Oh man, do I miss old W…[/quote]

What would you have to say if this was one year ago, under Bush?


#15

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Looks like the Obamessiah has got some splainin’ to do… Fire up those teleprompters!

Yea. Stupid him. Using teleprompters. He should just gut it out like old George did and come up with some bullshit retard phrases that can humiliate the country because they elected a babbling mongoloid.

Oh man, do I miss old W…

What would you have to say if this was one year ago, under Bush?

[/quote]

They would blame the Swine flu on Bush. Since it started in Mexico they would say Bush was a racist. Just like hurricane Katrina.


#16

Check out an image from this event. Yeah, I can understand the reaction. I’ve read that when cops were asked what was going on, they had no idea. That didn’t help either.


#17

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Check out an image from this event. Yeah, I can understand the reaction. I’ve read that when cops were asked what was going on, they had no idea. That didn’t help either. [/quote]

Look, I’ve been meters away from the deadliest terrorist attack that hit Casablanca in 2003, killing 45 people and wounding 100. Granted, not as spectacular as 9/11, but it sure wasn’t pretty. When I enter a restaurant or a hotel today, I don’t jump when someone something blasts in the hall or the kitchen. I don’t run away scared when I spot an unattended luggage in an airport, and I get extremely pissed at the idiots who shut down the gates when that happens.

Bottomline, you have more chances of being struck by lightinng than dying in a building because a plane was deliberately flown into it.

Understand this: they want control over us. And fear, is a very good way to turn us into sheep. And I have to say that Americans seem like the most paranoid people around. 9/11 was tragic, beyond words and everything you want to call it. But this evacuating buildings because a plane was spotted in the sky, or buying into the whole Iraq-will-bomb-us-let’s-bomb-them-before is just nuts.

Of course, it could be that NYers were just looking for an excuse to skip work and go have a drink. That would make much more sense.

But it’s just my opinion.


#18

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
skaz05 wrote:
Looks like the Obamessiah has got some splainin’ to do… Fire up those teleprompters!

Yea. Stupid him. Using teleprompters. He should just gut it out like old George did and come up with some bullshit retard phrases that can humiliate the country because they elected a babbling mongoloid.

Oh man, do I miss old W…[/quote]

He’s not very articulate without a teleprompter. Seriously, what would you say if GW said that 57 states thing?


#19

[quote]lixy wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Check out an image from this event. Yeah, I can understand the reaction. I’ve read that when cops were asked what was going on, they had no idea. That didn’t help either.

Look, I’ve been meters away from the deadliest terrorist attack that hit Casablanca in 2003, killing 45 people and wounding 100. Granted, not as spectacular as 9/11, but it sure wasn’t pretty. When I enter a restaurant or a hotel today, I don’t jump when someone something blasts in the hall or the kitchen. I don’t run away scared when I spot an unattended luggage in an airport, and I get extremely pissed at the idiots who shut down the gates when that happens.

Bottomline, you have more chances of being struck by lightinng than dying in a building because a plane was deliberately flown into it.

Understand this: they want control over us. And fear, is a very good way to turn us into sheep. And I have to say that Americans seem like the most paranoid people around. 9/11 was tragic, beyond words and everything you want to call it. But this evacuating buildings because a plane was spotted in the sky, or buying into the whole Iraq-will-bomb-us-let’s-bomb-them-before is just nuts.

Of course, it could be that NYers were just looking for an excuse to skip work and go have a drink. That would make much more sense.

But it’s just my opinion.[/quote]

Just a plane spotted in the sky? It was a large plane spotted where large planes aren’t suppossed to be! That’s what made it stand out. How does this even need an explanation? I could care less about your terrorism survivor internet credentials. The reaction was logical. A large plane where it shouldn’t be, low, military aircraft near it, cops are telling people they aren’t aware of any approved of events, etc. Yikes.


#20

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Just a plane spotted in the sky? It was a large plane spotted where large planes aren’t suppossed to be! [/quote]

What do you mean “where large planes aren’t suppossed[sic] to be”?

Surely, you must realize the plane had clearance: In other words, it was supposed to be there!

I’ll go with paranoid population.

If they were anywhere near rational, 70% of them wouldn’t have supported the invasion of Iraq.

I don’t buy that. We’re turning into sissies, and the US is leading the way.

Consider this: A packed gigantic plane is taken over by a handful of guys with cutters. An immigration center is taken hostage and everybody is cowering in fear hiding for the full 45 minutes until the cops show up. A big plane escorted by two jet fighters is spotted in the sky and people run for their lives. And you call that “logical”?

I’m starting to understand why some of you guys can’t comprehend the Iraqis resisting.