Panic Disorder

I’ve been struggling with depression, anxiety and panic attacks for about 6 years now. I have had problems with depression since I was a child, but the anxiety and panic cropped up 6 years ago.

First, I have to say that drugs are NOT necessarily the answer. They can help quite a bit, especially when things are particularly bad but they can also turn out to be a horrible physical and mental crutch that is nearly impossible to break free of. If you need them occasionally then take them of course, but they should be a 'band aid' fix. Please be very wary of any Doc that tells you that you may be on them for the rest of your life, how will you ever know if you are better if you never give your body a chance to get away from the drugs for a while???

When my panic started, I would have attacks that would literally last for hours - my 'record' was just over 8 hours. That would be 8 hours of shaking, heart pounding, sweating, confusion, jumpiness, and terror. I'm sure you know the feeling. I didn't always have anxiety when I had panic attacks, but anxitey attacks were usually followed by panic attacks.

I went into severe depression last year. I had to force feed myself and I was barely functioning - at work or at home. I ate because I knew I had to eat, not because I was hungry. I got out of bed because my parents called me every morning to make sure I was up. My sister called me every night to make sure I was home. My parents called me in the evening to make sure I was going to bed. Anxiety and panic was making me crazy at work, and I frequently had hysterical sobbing fits. I went on drugs and started up therapy again (I hadn't been to a shrink since college). The drugs lasted for 6 weeks, Zoloft helped the depression, but the anxiety was out of control while I was on it. Once I got over 'the hump' I weaned myself off of the Zoloft. I still say a good shrink is the key.

Your panic is being triggered by something. It has to be. It may be something you don't consciencely recognize. That's where a good shrink comes in. It's too bad that repressed memories have become such a 'hollywood cliche', because they are very real and can be extremely powerful. Personally, the sexual abuse I suffered as a child has caused me to repress most of my childhood, and I have learned that certian things trigger memories and those triggers also send me into a anxiety and/or panic attack - without me ever actually remembering an 'event'. It is something to think about and explore. I don't know how old you are, but if you have a definate start point for your problem then something that happened at that point in your life may be the cause. Facing things down on your own can be very difficult though, so be sure you have a trusted therapist or a good support network to help you.

For me, talking is key. I tend to be obsessive, and the more I talk about things the less I obsess about them. Things often click into place when I discuss them in depth with someone. I like talking with a therapist because I can walk away from the topic when I need to. It's hard with a friend because if they help you with the really bad stuff then you may come to associate them with the bad stuff that they help you with and they will end up being a trigger. This ruins friendships - trust me on that one.

I agree 100% with the person who said that anyone who says 'snap out of it' has NO idea what they are talking about. When your own brain is fucking you over there is no easy, fast way out.

I also agree that exercise is very important, especially long periods of running / biking / cross country skiing - anything long and sustained. I ususally obsess for a while, but after a while I settle into a rythm and focus on my body working. I also like to horseback ride, but I don't get the same sort of calming effect because I have to pay attention to the horse!

It seems you have tried all the meds out there. May I suggest you give up on them for a while? Patterns have specific repeating triggers - seasonal affectiveness disorder for instance goes with the seasons and sine seasons are not going away anytime soon, people with SAD learn to handle thier specific triggers. Perhaps your panic started as a yearly thing that was triggered by the anniversary of an event (or beginning of a series of events)? As you become accostomed to the cycle, the anticipation can cause the cycle to shorten, becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.

Just some things to think about.

(I must apologize if I have rambled, it is very late and I am on a caffine high from my drive home...)

Wow Michelle, your really fucked up!! :slight_smile:

Um… thanks Pat

I just wanted to share a few things from someone who has 'been there' and is working through the problems. I'm doing quite well now thank you.

You will never find a cure with modern medicine, i.e. taking drugs, even herbs like kava. You can find relief in it, but you are risking dependency on medication for the rest of your life. Here is the weakness of our modern system- we rely too much on what can be observed on paper. We say that “chemical imbalances” are the cause of our problems. We say that to fix our problems we should fix the “chemical imbalances” that cause them. But we never seem to remember things like smiling and singing are what can cause an increase in endorphins, that working out and taking risks are what cause an increase in testosterone. What it all boils down to is that acts of will are a priori to their chemical manifestations. The human will is what causes the “good chemicals” to be produced.

The shortcoming with modern medicine is that we cannot observe phenomena like the human will because the only instruments we have are microscopes to do it with, and you will never be able to see the “spirit” with such means. This is where something called anthroposophic medicine can help. This form of medicine is not quackery and it is not voodoo. In fact, in order to get into anthroposophic medical school, you first must become an M.D. or a D.O., and the medical school is in Switzerland.

So, unfortunately, there aren’t too many anthroposophic docs here in the US, (the few who even hear of this form of medicine don’t want more schooling-- in Europe!) but if there isn’t one in your area, and you would be willing to travel and see one, I know you wouldn’t be disappointed. In anthroposophic medicine, anxiety is always caused by a weakened will, and their remedies for it include specific medications, a unique movement therapy called eurythmy, various art therapies, dietary changes, lifestyle changes, focusing exercises specifically designed to strengthen the will, and the best thing of all is that the doctor spends anywhere from 1-3 hours with you trying to find out what is going on. Then they will spend even more time afterwards studying your case, in order to come up with the best solution for you. For chronic illnesses like lupus, anxiety, chronic fatigue, depression, etc. it has an incredible reputation. Let me know if you are interested and I’ll try and find out if there is someone in your area. Best wishes.

Thanks for your post Michelle. It is much appreciated. Sandman, the treatment you talked about sounds very interesting. You mentioned it being known for it’s amazing success with chronic illness’s like anxiety. I’ve never heard of it and I’ve been around the block a few times with this problem. I am open minded, but travelling to Europe for treatment that MIGHT work is not possible for many reasons.

I am interested to find out more though. Is there some good websites and/or info you could direct me to? Thanks for your post and comments.

Best of health,

Kaleb

Oh no Kaleb, by no means did I mean that you would have to go to Europe to get treated. The doctor training center is in Europe, that’s all I meant. There are about 50 or so Anthroposophic Doctors in the U.S. Where do you live? I know a few doctors in several cities, and if they aren’t close to you, then I’ll make a couple of phone calls to find out if there is anyone who is. And I do know of one doctor in Denver who does phone consultations. Here are some of the websites that are good. This one has an excellent explaination of it:
www.weleda.co.uk/index.htm?www.weleda.co.uk/anthint.htm
This one deals with theraputic eurythmy, which is one of the more highly effective therapies that a doctor would prescribe:
www.artemisia.net/athena/eurythmy.htm
And here is some additional info I pulled up at the Anthroposophic Medical School’s website:
www.goetheanum.ch/medicine/ Section_new/anthroposophical_medicine.htm
Looking forward to hearing back from you, Kaleb. Take care.

Panic attacks often accompany a mood disorder. Both are evidence of “emotional dysregulation.” How’s that for a Politically Correct term? Fear is an emotion, and without it we would probably be dead 100 times over before we reached the age of 10. A panic attack is the triggering of intense fear without external stimuli. It is a malfunction of the “fight or flight” response. So the next time you become afraid for no apparent reason just try and reassure yourself that you are in no real danger and that might help a bit. I have manic-depressive illness, now known by the PC name of “Bipolar Mood Disorder.” So I know very well what it feels like to be unable to control ones emotions. I also have many panic attacks - often while I’m driving. MY BRAIN IS TRYING TO KILL ME!! These types of disorders do generally require medication. My current “med cocktail” consists of lithium carbonate, Abilify, and clonazepam. I’ve come to terms with the fact that I’ll probably need some form of psych meds for the rest of my life.

Oops! I didn’t realize that nolongerlazy already covered the “fight or flight” phenomena. My apologies for not reading the thread before posting.

the only time i get any anxiety or panic disorders is right after i smoke a big joint, and go out in public. or maybe thats more parinoia?

Whats not to get?? Panic Attacks dont need a ryhme or reason or cycle, some of you seem mystified by this. Another myth is that all exeriencing Panic Attacks have an overwhelming fear of dying while one is occuring. Not so.
In my counseling for panick attacks I have learned they can come out of nowere, have many small bouts for days of years. Then they dissapear only to come back again. Its a highly physcological problem and it can be beat with the proper counseling/meds.

Small doses of Clonopin (5mg) an anti-seizure drug proved most helpful along with some mental excersises so to speak. I beat it, got off the meds and now I am having them again soemtimes. Its hard but Clonopin (spelling?) seemed to work for me. BTW mine are brought on my standing in line with people behind me, I just start sweating and then it gets worse from there, its weird I know but thats what makes it so damn fun…not.

I could care less if no one wants to read this but I just wanna vent a bit. I think I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks as well. It’s BY FAR the worst thing in my life. If I could conquer this it would open so many doors for me and I could go after my dreams. My problem is speaking. I don’t studder (Anymore), have a lisp (anymore), god I’m fucked up. Sorry…my problem is I freeze up. My chest gets pretty tight and words will not come out of my mouth. Its the worst thing in my life. I can’t do some basic ass shit and it kills me. I DREAD people asking me a question, can’t call anyone, ask shit, order food, etc., etc. When I was a freshman in high school I skipped my English class for like a month straight because we were reading plays!! FUCK. I would chill in the parking lot and wait for class to end. I need to get help.