Panic Attacks

Has anyone experienced them? Suggestions on how to deal or stop them?

I recently started working a late shift get off around 10:30 pm and have had two episodes.

The first one was about a week ago. As I was going to sleep I just started thinking how it is crazy that we go to sleep assuming we will wake up and if I died I would never see it coming. Well, suddenly I was convinced I was going to die in my sleep. It was a short one.

Yesterday, as I was going to sleep I the idea that this was some king of virtual reality and that those who “seriously” realized that would be able to wake up i.e. The Matrix. My heart started beating a little faster so, I got up and began getting slight tunnel vision. It started to feel like everything around me was not real. That was not the worst of it. What really brought on the panic was that I would somehow get stuck between this “reality” and the real world in a state of insanity. I had to get my brother to help me calm down. Lasted about 3 minutes.

They have only happened twice at night in the morning I feel fine but, as if it never even happened, it was a dream or disbelief that it could happen to me.

• Aside from working late I am under no stress or anxiety. I do not drink or smoke. The only thing is that I have drank some diet soda at around 8-9 PM which does have some caffeine.

Never had one, but many of my family have… some requiring medication for years… many requiring other professional help.

Wow. Sounds like you’re going insane. I hope you check with a physician and that they can get something fgured out to keep these at bay.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

I recently started working a late shift get off around 10:30 pm and have had two episodes.

The first one was about a week ago. As I was going to sleep I just started thinking how it is crazy that we go to sleep assuming we will wake up and if I died I would never see it coming. Well, suddenly I was convinced I was going to die in my sleep. It was a short one.

Yesterday, as I was going to sleep I the idea that this was some king of virtual reality and that those who “seriously” realized that would be able to wake up i.e. The Matrix. My heart started beating a little faster so, I got up and began getting slight tunnel vision. It started to feel like everything around me was not real. That was not the worst of it. What really brought on the panic was that I would somehow get stuck between this “reality” and the real world in a state of insanity. I had to get my brother to help me calm down. Lasted about 3 minutes.

They have only happened twice at night in the morning I feel fine but, as if it never even happened, it was a dream or disbelief that it could happen to me.

• Aside from working late I am under no stress or anxiety. I do not drink or smoke. The only thing is that I have drank some diet soda at around 8-9 PM which does have some caffeine.[/quote]

How old are you?

I had them for years, very intense too turning me almost agoraphobic at one point. Had to turn around an airplane on the run way once because I had a panic attack. Anyways after 6 years of high dose gabapentin, and celexa I eventually weaned off it all and overcame it.

The issue for me was I never got over the fear of the panic attacks and anxiety just masked symptoms with meds. Check out the website Panic Away or purchase the book At Last a Life by Paul David. Both work equally well in getting an actual cure from it, rather then having that fear just stuck in the back of your mind for the next god knows how many years. I have to admit your original post does feel a bit troll like though.

Xanax 2mg. Don’t drive after taking it whatever you do.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

• Aside from working late I am under no stress or anxiety. I do not drink or smoke. The only thing is that I have drank some diet soda at around 8-9 PM which does have some caffeine.[/quote]

How old are you?[/quote]

Go see a doc and explain what is going on.

I could be way way off here, but it’s the 20’s when a lot of mental illnesses sort of manifest themselves. It could just be that you are smoking the wrong kind of weed before you sleep lol.

Yes, a doctor would be the way to go here rather than internet advice. Do it sooner rather than later because as cstratton2 notes panic tends to self-perpetuate, and as Severiano notes yours is an age at which things can tend to kick in. If something is going on, you want to catch and address it quickly.

Good luck.

Every time I’ve had a panic attack about someone trying to kill me, I was right. It’s like something instinctual kicked in and I moved at the last minute or flinched and they missed. Not bullshitting. When I was in prison, I got stabbed five times, most of it superficial because I moved when I didn’t see it coming. Before that, I caught the outer edge of a blast of buckshot (only got hit with like eight or ten balls of the shot in my ribs as I was getting the fuck outta the way).

Missed getting shot, jumped, run over on multiple other occasions. Even at my job, when I’ve been about to touch a piece of equipment that I believed was de-energized - I got the panic attack and tested it, and sure enough, someone had turned it on. (These days, with the current safety culture, I won’t touch anything unless it has been locked out and tagged out, but earlier in my career, construction was like the wild, wild west)

Long story short, when ever I feel a panic attack coming on, I usually duck and cover (or take the appropriate action). It hasn’t happened in a long time, which is probably a good thing because I no longer put myself in those situations. Bottom line is, don’t be afraid to trust your instincts. Your subconscious mind picks up a myriad of details that your conscious mind simply doesn’t have the time/RAM to process. Your subconscious mind is an amazing tool if you take the time to cultivate it and learn to trust it.

If you are feeling panic attacks for no reason, do some journalling, meditation, breathing exercises (such as Yoga) or something along those lines to give yourself the mental space to allow whatever it is to “pop up”. You’ll be surprised at some of the shit you come up with. But once you are aware of it, you have to act on it - don’t just shove it back under the rug or else it will manifest itself in some other nastier ways.

I have anxiety too. See a psychologist you are not alone. They will teach you how to calm your self. Anxiety attacks are a sign you are loosing your control of your anxiety. After about 6 weekly sessions u will start to see difference.

This is almost word for word what I’ve been experiencing lately. Had a super intense one the other night and was almost tempted to wake someone up in the house because it actually scared me and almost had one last night at work but managed to cut it off before I freaked out. I also started accutane recently and heard it can bring these things to the surface and the fact that mental health issues run in my family makes me think I should seek professional help

Again just so you guys are aware panic attacks aren’t a chemical imbalance you need to treat with high doses of drugs, it’s strictly behavioral even in the most extreme forms like I had. It can take a while for a nervous system to become de sensitized again, however I just want to point out nothing is more effective then CBT for panic attacks and anxiety. If you do not perpetuate it and have a fear of it then it nips the whole thing in the bud. You may still get episodes for a few months after here and there but you just ride it out without fear, eventually everything normalizes again. So long as you have a radical one hundred percent acceptance of it, do not avoid or push any of the feelings away, or create any avoidance patterns.

I had them…see a good doc and get some good advice on how to beat them. I used Lexapro to get it under control and gradually weened off of it gradually. Whatever you do, don’t listen to people who say “just get over it” it’s a medical condition and should be treated as such.

Also, a good therapist is a life saver. Trust me.

Meditation. Straight up. It’s amazingly helpful and it is better for you than any drug you’re going to take.

You guys are junkies. Bleh!

@op dude
You have a problem.
Take some time off work and other responsibilities asap(!) and find out what it is.
Relax, tune out, ban all monitors and your smartphone for a couple of days.
Do some light cardio (or bathe if you got tits).
Bonuspoints if your family/friends can pamper you a bit.

Ask yourself:
Are you happy? Are you happy with who you are? What could make you happy?
What is bad for you? Could you change something to get less negative input?

Keep this simple and also, the answer is usually not directly tied to money and stuff.

As long as you have some support in your life (ie family & friends) , fuck drugs to numb your brain.
The only thing involving a doctor would be a blood test (minerals, iron, vit D etc)

[quote]Schwarzfahrer wrote:

[/quote]

You have literally zero idea of what you are talking about.

None.

SSRI’s are 0% addictive.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

None.

SSRI’s are 0% addictive.[/quote]
Hey man you can fight the fight, but you know you cant win this argument. I have argued enough with people on this site about medication and medical treatment.
Save yourself the bang your head against the wall and just ignore them.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[/quote]

None.

SSRI’s are 0% addictive.[/quote]
Hey man you can fight the fight, but you know you cant win this argument. I have argued enough with people on this site about medication and medical treatment.
Save yourself the bang your head against the wall and just ignore them. [/quote]

Doncha just love armchair MD’s.

“It’s all in your head bro!” “Just pull yourself out of it bro”

Sheesh.

There comes a time for anyone who suffers serious anxiety and panic attacks when you just deal with it I get them I have crazy anxiety anytime I go anywhere new or meeting new people but I have never been able to do anything to stop them and now I just dont care anymore which in turn has more then halved my episodes and recovering from them is quick as lol sometimes I end up hysterically laughing. What I’m saying is everyone has fucked up shit wrong with them accept that shit and handle your business like a man