Palumboism - Causes and Case Studies

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Even Cutler fell victim![/quote]

And there’s talk he’s returning to the Olympia.

<-----Shakes head.[/quote]

Him and Phil already signed the contract to compete at the 2013 Olympia. He is going to be working with Chad Nichols this time around.[/quote]

Well, like Brick mentioned earlier, if I were him and I noticed the symptoms appearing, I’d STOP what I was doing immediately! Jay’s just inviting disaster.
[/quote]

Right, not to mention the site injections gone awry.

This thread is becoming addictive. Haven’t had one of those in awhile. Maybe because discussing the finite ways to eat and lift have become boring topics.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Okay, is this something that is only due to the use of anabolics?[/quote]

doubtful as im sure a number of the old school bodybuilders would have it…

if anything… gh/slin/myostatin inhibitor-related?

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

if anything… gh/slin/myostatin inhibitor-related?[/quote]

Ah! The newer stuff. I should have guessed.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
This thread is becoming addictive. Haven’t had one of those in awhile. Maybe because discussing the finite ways to eat and lift have become boring topics. [/quote]

LOL!

We all enjoy horror stories.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

if anything… gh/slin/myostatin inhibitor-related?[/quote]

Ah! The newer stuff. I should have guessed. [/quote]

it’s pure speculation though… but we do not know what long-term hgh, peptides, and slin do yet… soo…

also im sure a lot of these guys use shit like follistatin etc…

You guys are both so wrong about Jay. He doesn’t have any “affliction” he just tore his bicep that is all. He has had dozens of videos since his surgery on MD where he shows his arms and he even took his shirt off recently for a guest posing and he is symmetrical and looking lean. His recovery is complete and he talked about how he is now working with Chad Nicholas and will be start his Olympia prep soon.

Not saying he can or will beat Phil but you guys are crazy to think Cutler couldn’t get in shape and be competitive.

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:
You guys are both so wrong about Jay. He doesn’t have any “affliction” he just tore his bicep that is all. He has had dozens of videos since his surgery on MD where he shows his arms and he even took his shirt off recently for a guest posing and he is symmetrical and looking lean. His recovery is complete and he talked about how he is now working with Chad Nicholas and will be start his Olympia prep soon.

Not saying he can or will beat Phil but you guys are crazy to think Cutler couldn’t get in shape and be competitive. [/quote]

this is truth

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:

Not saying he can or will beat Phil but you guys are crazy to think Cutler couldn’t get in shape and be competitive. [/quote]

I’m not saying that. His thickening middle SEEMS to be the onset of Palumboism. I was saying if I were in his shoes, I’d back down on prep for a while.

Cesar Mendible caught it!

I have always described it as looking like a toad. Their skin looks more vascular/grainy giving it a weird looking texture. Mid section is big and bloated while their limbs seem to just stick out.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
I have always described it as looking like a toad. Their skin looks more vascular/grainy giving it a weird looking texture. Mid section is big and bloated while their limbs seem to just stick out.[/quote]

like neandrathals with wax paper for skin

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Matthaeus wrote:

I’m not saying that. His thickening middle SEEMS to be the onset of Palumboism. I was saying if I were in his shoes, I’d back down on prep for a while.[/quote]

Not so sure about that Cutler has always had a block waist especially from the front. His only saving grace is that he probably is blessed with the widest clavicles next to Ruhl. Here is a recent video of him discussing his comeback from right after the 2012 Olympia for your viewing pleasure.

- YouTube

Yes, basically various stages of Cushing’s syndrome and progressive down-regulation of androgen receptors.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Does anyone have any insight as to what causes this condition? We know that it’s definitely caused by large concoctions of drugs through the years, but does anyone have any plausible theories on the physiology of the condition, perhaps someone with a medical background with a high degree of knowledge on bodybuilding drugs?

Feel free to post pictures of case studies.[/quote]

lotta big teenage mutant ninja turtle looking motherfuckers up in here

Puts me right off ever messing around with gh

Ruhl

I can understand if a competitor has a naturally blocky midsection from just heavy lifting (thick obliques), or even wide hip bones (I know the feeling), but you can’t ignore the definite shift the last couple of decades in the types of chemical enhancement being used.

Long before I got into serious training, I would see Dave Palumbo out and about on Long Island (at clubs, concerts etc). On one particular instance, he was at some club/concert in the middle of winter. My brothers and myself were wearing standard clothing at the time; workboots, jeans, sweatshirts and jackets (which we had coat checked when we came in). Palumbo was waltzing around in a string tank top and shorts. Lots of people would talk and whisper behind his back. None of us knew anything about bodybuilding (nor did we really care at the time), but the most prevailant stories were:

1-Dave had used so much human growth hormone that his intestines grew and had to be partially removed.

2-He had used so many thyroid drugs that his internal thermometer was broken, and that’s why he was always wearing a tank top while sweating in the middle of winter.

ahhhh, the local legends of long island meat heads -lol.

S

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
lotta big teenage mutant ninja turtle looking motherfuckers up in here

[/quote]

LMFAO!

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I can understand if a competitor has a naturally blocky midsection from just heavy lifting (thick obliques), or even wide hip bones (I know the feeling), but you can’t ignore the definite shift the last couple of decades in the types of chemical enhancement being used.

Long before I got into serious training, I would see Dave Palumbo out and about on Long Island (at clubs, concerts etc). On one particular instance, he was at some club/concert in the middle of winter. My brothers and myself were wearing standard clothing at the time; workboots, jeans, sweatshirts and jackets (which we had coat checked when we came in). Palumbo was waltzing around in a string tank top and shorts. Lots of people would talk and whisper behind his back. None of us knew anything about bodybuilding (nor did we really care at the time), but the most prevailant stories were:

1-Dave had used so much human growth hormone that his intestines grew and had to be partially removed.

2-He had used so many thyroid drugs that his internal thermometer was broken, and that’s why he was always wearing a tank top while sweating in the middle of winter.

ahhhh, the local legends of long island meat heads -lol.

S[/quote]

Ha! Funny and yet depressing story, Stu.

Shugart had an interesting piece called “The Slow MIrror” where he talked about how female bodybuilders don’t notice virilization because it comes on slowly and they look at themselves every day so they don’t really notice (as opposed to not seeing it for weeks then being like BAM holy shit I’m a dude now).

I guess the same thing applies here. The gut slowly distends but you just don’t notice til it’s too late.

something’s got to give, surely. The sport can’t keep on like this

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
Shugart had an interesting piece called “The Slow MIrror” where he talked about how female bodybuilders don’t notice virilization because it comes on slowly and they look at themselves every day so they don’t really notice (as opposed to not seeing it for weeks then being like BAM holy shit I’m a dude now).

I guess the same thing applies here. The gut slowly distends but you just don’t notice til it’s too late.

something’s got to give, surely. The sport can’t keep on like this[/quote]

Good points.