Palumboism - Causes and Case Studies

[quote]steron99 wrote:
Yes,and no.I think about how bodybuilding is nowadays,the fun is gone,now everyones a science project with every drug in creation,the palumboism,the oil bagging,the judges that fuel the war cry of bigger,bigger,more.No wonder the general public dislikes the sport so.Even Arnolds disgusted.It used to be about lifting weights,about shaping the body,now everythings different.And look at what the future is: Bostin Loyid and his ilk.Read an interview with the late Derek Anthony and it just saddened me so much to see how he shaped his life,and now he’s gone,like so many others.It can’t keep going on this way,or there will be no bodybuilding save for the few of us who hit the gym and see it as a hobby.It used to be fun,but no more.[/quote]

You’re so dramatic. Phil Heath’s physique is fucking awesome. And so are most of the top Olympia competitors. Pretty much everyone not named Branch. These dudes are, for the most part, living the dream.

As for Bostin Loyd… you do know his career is already basically over, right? That guy did everything wrong, and it shows in his shitty physique. He’s certainly NOT the future, nor are guys like him. We’ve already knocked at the door of physical limitations regarding size. The mass monsters competing right now aren’t even as big as those who were stepping on stage 10 years ago. Ronnie Coleman was substantially larger than Phil Heath. If anything, the sport is moving back in the direction it seems that most people want it to.

The public will never fully embrace bodybuilding for a number of reasons. One of the main reasons is that we don’t embrace ANY sport that is 100% subjective. If you don’t have teams/players scoring points against each other in a regulated fashion, the public probably won’t watch it much. Gymnastics is a good example of this. Gymnasts are incredible to watch. Their physiques are aesthetically pleasing, and their athletic ability is on another planet. But the average Joe has no idea what makes 1 gymnast better than another. I certainly can’t watch 2 guys do a floor routine and determine which one was better, assuming nobody falls on their ass. But give me an NBA score, and I can tell you which team is winning, lol.

And please stop going on about this oil bagging crap. It doesn’t exist in pro bodybuilding. Not saying synthol isn’t used, but that’s not what the oil bagging phenomenon is about.

It’s just my general observation of how things are going.No,oilbagging isn’t in probodybuilding but it’s out there looking stupid and doing nothing for image,as well as some of the other sidelines that have cropped up.I’ve been surprised of late that people have rediscovered Steve Reeves,perhaps that look will gain momentium,and come back in vogue,looks like it has in physique.

With the knowledge of what bodybuilding was,and is now,it seems to have gone off the tracks a bit.And yes,the fun of what was is diminished.I’m not saying everybody looks like Branch Warren,nor that the whole is bad,but it’s morphed into something I don’t think anyone could have predicted.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Ronnie Coleman was substantially larger than Phil Heath. If anything, the sport is moving back in the direction it seems that most people want it to.
[/quote]

Maybe earlier on, but nowadays it’s kinda sad that guys like Phil are considered the small waist-ed aesthetic physics. Even he has quite the gut when he isn’t sucking it in.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
Ronnie Coleman was substantially larger than Phil Heath. If anything, the sport is moving back in the direction it seems that most people want it to.
[/quote]

Maybe earlier on, but nowadays it’s kinda sad that guys like Phil are considered the small waist-ed aesthetic physics. Even he has quite the gut when he isn’t sucking it in.[/quote]

A shredded Cedric just came in 2nd after a less detailed Big Ramy took first at The Arnold Brazil.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
[/quote]

Maybe earlier on, but nowadays it’s kinda sad that guys like Phil are considered the small waist-ed aesthetic physics. Even he has quite the gut when he isn’t sucking it in.[/quote]

A shredded Cedric just came in 2nd after a less detailed Big Ramy took first at The Arnold Brazil.
[/quote]

you’ve gotta love Big Ramy, though…

[quote]Yogi wrote:
you’ve gotta love Big Ramy, though…[/quote]

Looking at some of the pics online, He makes the other guys in the top spots look like they’ve been skipping leg day.

S

Any thoughts on today’s article?

It’s a different perspective, but I kinda feel like it can’t be the whole story. Some of these guys look pregnant year round.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

It’s a different perspective, but I kinda feel like it can’t be the whole story. Some of these guys look pregnant year round.[/quote]

Lame. He blames it on a food-baby and thick abs???

At least one of these guys must have had an MRI, but I guess that is not the sort of thing they want to share with the public.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

It’s a different perspective, but I kinda feel like it can’t be the whole story. Some of these guys look pregnant year round.[/quote]

Lame. He blames it on a food-baby and thick abs???[/quote]

makes a good point though about how therapeutic doses of these drugs don’t cause the abdominal distention in non-bodybuilders. I’d never thought of that. Quite a convincing argument against it being drugs…

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

makes a good point though about how therapeutic doses of these drugs don’t cause the abdominal distention in non-bodybuilders. I’d never thought of that. Quite a convincing argument against it being drugs…[/quote]

And there in lies the distinction. The regular joe that’s using therapeutic doses is different then the bodybuilder that is more than likely using vast amounts.

GH gut is something that scares the masses into believing that if they take this they’ll have those issues as well.
And obviously, as we already know, that’s just not the case.

Just another myth to hold the reg joe down

I highly doubt the outrageously sized guts we see are just a matter of enhanced musculature and carb loading with low fluids intake and diuretics use.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
I highly doubt the outrageously sized guts we see are just a matter of enhanced musculature and carb loading with low fluids intake and diuretics use. [/quote]

As others have said, the distension is year round for a lot of these guys, so diuretics, carbs, etc almost certainly aren’t the reason. I believe the enhanced overall musculature may be relevant, but at the end of the day, even that leads back to the drugs in some capacity.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
I highly doubt the outrageously sized guts we see are just a matter of enhanced musculature and carb loading with low fluids intake and diuretics use. [/quote]

As others have said, the distension is year round for a lot of these guys, so diuretics, carbs, etc almost certainly aren’t the reason. I believe the enhanced overall musculature may be relevant, but at the end of the day, even that leads back to the drugs in some capacity.[/quote]

1:00-2:00. I agree. Moen looks pregnant and is not in contest condition.

Dorian Yates himself faults insulin for his '97 condition. Saying that’s the first year he used it.

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

makes a good point though about how therapeutic doses of these drugs don’t cause the abdominal distention in non-bodybuilders. I’d never thought of that. Quite a convincing argument against it being drugs…[/quote]

And there in lies the distinction. The regular joe that’s using therapeutic doses is different then the bodybuilder that is more than likely using vast amounts.

GH gut is something that scares the masses into believing that if they take this they’ll have those issues as well.
And obviously, as we already know, that’s just not the case.

Just another myth to hold the reg joe down

[/quote]

yeah, I mean the article did say that the doses used for things like muscle wasting and diabetes are more than what most bodybuilders are using, but I think it’d be dumb to discount the effects of the drugs entirely.

All I know is I could never afford to run GH as high as these guys do, so I’m probably safe!

I remember, among the various rumors that circulate around Long Island about Palumbo, hearing that his organs grew so large from GH abuse that he had to have a portion of his intenstines surgically removed.

(ahhh… growing up amongst meat-head culture out on “Strong Island” -lol)

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
I remember, among the various rumors that circulate around Long Island about Palumbo, hearing that his organs grew so large from GH abuse that he had to have a portion of his intenstines surgically removed.

(ahhh… growing up amongst meat-head culture out on “Strong Island” -lol)

S[/quote]

Poor guy. Not only did he suffer from Palumboism (what a coincidence he had the same name), but he ended up gutless!

:wink:

The gastrointestinal problems are something I hadn’t really considered though. Could be part of a distended gut and maybe poor nutrient absorption could cause skin changes and even atrophy?

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Caul owt de judgez… Naoh!! Kamahn Dew it!!!