Palumboism - Causes and Case Studies

that pizza looks amazing…

Brick, clearly what you need to do is to take an absolute shitload of drugs and see if you get Palumboism. Do it for science.

My God, this thread is one big buzzkill for the sport!

[quote]Yogi wrote:

Brick, clearly what you need to do is to take an absolute shitload of drugs and see if you get Palumboism. Do it for science.[/quote]

Yeah! Lol!

Palumbo did that for us. He was a man who was willing to die for his pageant–I mean, sport–willing to die for you guys!

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Yeah! Lol!

Palumbo did that for us. He was a man who was willing to die for his pageant–I mean, sport–willing to die for you guys! [/quote]

The mind of an athlete (especially some BBers) can really be so narrowly focused. I’ve read a few books on sports psychology, and my own thoughts are that while such a single minded pursuit as BBing can indeed lead to success in the chosen area (assuming all variables involved are favorable), it can also lead to missing the big picture in terms of the rest of your life (relationships, your health etc).

S

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Yeah! Lol!

Palumbo did that for us. He was a man who was willing to die for his pageant–I mean, sport–willing to die for you guys! [/quote]

The mind of an athlete (especially some BBers) can really be so narrowly focused. I’ve read a few books on sports psychology, and my own thoughts are that while such a single minded pursuit as BBing can indeed lead to success in the chosen area (assuming all variables involved are favorable), it can also lead to missing the big picture in terms of the rest of your life (relationships, your health etc).

S[/quote]

I once read about a survey of Olympic athletes. They were asked if there was a drug that would guarantee them a gold medal, but would also cause them to die within a week, would they take it. Half said yes. I’m having trouble finding it though, so I might be making it up.

It’s called the Goldman Dilemma.

There?s a well-known survey in sports, known as the Goldman Dilemma. For it, a researcher, Bob Goldman, began asking elite athletes in the 1980s whether they would take a drug that guaranteed them a gold medal but would also kill them within five years. More than half of the athletes said yes. When he repeated the survey biannually for the next decade, the results were always the same. About half of the athletes were quite ready to take the bargain.

Only recently did researchers get around to asking nonathletes the same question. In results published online in February, 2009 in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, exactly 2 of the 250 people surveyed in Sydney, Australia, said that they would take a drug that would ensure both success and an early death. ?We were surprised,? James Connor, Ph.D., a lecturer at the University of New South Wales and one of the study?s authors, said in an e-mail message. ?I expected 10-20 percent yes.? His conclusion, unassailable if inexplicable, is that ?elite athletes are different from the general population, especially on desire to win.?

For the general population, I’d have asked if you could take a drug that turned you into lady gaga…

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]norjoncal wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:
Funny story. I was watching a video posted buy a guy who does a form of ART.
So I cut through all the intro crap in the beginning and start it a couple minutes in. The therapist is meeting with an older guy who, you could tell, was some type of bodybuilder(has his shirt on at this point) then the guy takes his shirt off for an assessment. And immedietly I’m like “damn this guy looks like shit”, and as I’m looking over him I’m thinking to myself-hey this guy has palumboism.

Turned out to be Dave Palumbo…[/quote]

Would that guy be Dr. Castro. My brother, friends, and I have gone to him. [/quote]

No. Never heard of him
[/quote]

I saw the same video. Now his stomach looks very weird, but his chest is what really stood out. It looks so strange and atrophied.
[/quote]

Yeah that’s the vid. Looks awful IMO[/quote]

Yer mans name is Jimmy Bluff.

Gristly, bubble wrappy, dead guys muscle tissue…Palumbo looks bloody awful, poor bastard probably thinks he looks deadly…

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:

There?s a well-known survey in sports, known as the Goldman Dilemma. For it, a researcher, Bob Goldman, began asking elite athletes in the 1980s whether they would take a drug that guaranteed them a gold medal but would also kill them within five years. More than half of the athletes said yes. When he repeated the survey biannually for the next decade, the results were always the same. About half of the athletes were quite ready to take the bargain.
[/quote]

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, I wonder how many of those athletes were still alive at the end of the decade and how many of the original participants won gold.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:
My God, this thread is one big buzzkill for the sport![/quote]

It doesn’t have to be if one looks at natural bodybuilding or those that did use some anabolic drugs but not to the degree that their organs shut down or their physiques regressed to that of neanderthal man.

[quote]roybot wrote:

[/quote]

Just out of sheer morbid curiosity, I wonder how many of those athletes were still alive at the end of the decade and how many of the original participants won gold.

[/quote]

That level of athlete has such a single minded drive to obtain the best I their sport it doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s also the reason they are at the top. That drive and dedication.

[quote]ryanbCXG wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

That level of athlete has such a single minded drive to obtain the best I their sport it doesn’t surprise me at all. It’s also the reason they are at the top. That drive and dedication. [/quote]

I agree with the premise. Just that the likelihood of an athlete winning gold and still participating in a decade-long study about a magic pill is off.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
[/quote]

Pizza? I thought it was a close-up of Dave Palumbo’s back.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Looking back on the physiques of yesteryear, I ask myself, “What the hell happened?!”

Dennis Newman[/quote]

He got cancer at one point as his career was taking off. He survived and came back… sort of. He didn’t want to diminish his heath with the typical drug protocol BBing requires.

[quote]CLUNK wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Looking back on the physiques of yesteryear, I ask myself, “What the hell happened?!”

Dennis Newman[/quote]

He got cancer at one point as his career was taking off. He survived and came back… sort of. He didn’t want to diminish his heath with the typical drug protocol BBing requires.
[/quote]

Yeah. I saw him with Chris Cormier outside of the Beacon Theatre after an NOC (NY Pro) show back in the late 90’s. He looked like Clark Kent in his nightlife party outfit.

I wonder at what dosages this phenomenon of Palumboism occurs?
Something about long-term high AAS use, but I then wonder what these dosages would be.

[quote]Iron Mind X wrote:
Something about long-term high AAS use, but I then wonder what these dosages would be.

[/quote]

If you an dig up some old MD magazines from the 90’s, you will see that Palumbo used very high doses and seemed like someone who was willing to play with death for bodybuilding (Not saying this as an insult).

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

If you an dig up some old MD magazines from the 90’s, you will see that Palumbo used very high doses and seemed like someone who was willing to play with death for bodybuilding (Not saying this as an insult). [/quote]

Define very high? 2-3g of AAS per week or even higher?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

If you an dig up some old MD magazines from the 90’s, you will see that Palumbo used very high doses and seemed like someone who was willing to play with death for bodybuilding (Not saying this as an insult). [/quote]

Define very high? 2-3g of AAS per week or even higher?[/quote]

I do not remember what was written in his columns in detail nor have I looked into roid use the way I used to out of curiosity despite never using and not using now. I don’t think he would be one shy to use two to three grams of roids a week plus other drugs like GH and insulin. The guy is a drug guru, or at least that’s the way it came across in his writings. I’m not an expert but I don’t think anyone can get to the size of the pros and amateurs in the caliber of Palumbo in the 90’s and early 2000’s without some hefty use.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

[/quote]

Define very high? 2-3g of AAS per week or even higher?[/quote]

I do not remember what was written in his columns in detail nor have I looked into roid use the way I used to out of curiosity despite never using and not using now. I don’t think he would be one shy to use two to three grams of roids a week plus other drugs like GH and insulin. The guy is a drug guru, or at least that’s the way it came across in his writings. I’m not an expert but I don’t think anyone can get to the size of the pros and amateurs in the caliber of Palumbo in the 90’s and early 2000’s without some hefty use. [/quote]

Hmm, alright. More is not always better pretty much sums up this nasty side-effect of AAS use.