Palumboism - Causes and Case Studies

[quote]Yogi wrote:
I think he looks good. Always preferred the fullhouse look, personally[/quote]

Lenny? This guy?

The little evening breeze blew through the gym and the plates jingled and the wind waves flowed up the swimming pool. And the shouts of men sounded again, this time much closer than before.

Jason took off his doo-rag. He said shakily, “Take off your doo-rag Lenny. The air feels fine.”

Lennie removed his doo-rag dutifully and laid it on the ground in front of him. The shadow behind the dumbbell rack was bluer, and the evening came fast. On the wind the sound of curling in the squat rack came to them.

Lennie said, “Tell how it?s gonna be.”

Jason had been listening to the distant sounds. For a moment he was business-like. “Look across the gym floor, Lennie an? I?ll tell you so you can almost see it.”

Lennie turned his head and looked off across the benches and up the darkening slopes of the yoga mats. “We gonna get a little place,” Jason began. He reached in his side pocket and brought out Carlson?s Luger; he snapped off the safety, and the hand and gun lay on the ground behind Lennie?s back. He looked at the back of Lennie?s head, at the place where the spine and skull were joined.

A man?s voice called from the car park, and another man answered.

“Go on,” said Lennie.

Jason raised the gun and his hand shook, and he dropped his hand to the ground again.

“Go on,” said Lennie. “How?s it gonna be. We gonna get a little place.”

“We?ll have an IFBB pro,” said Jason. “An? we?ll have maybe an MMA fighter and crossfitters?an? down the flat we?ll have a ?little selection of treadmills?”

“For the cardio-bunnies,” Lennie shouted.

“For the cardio-bunnies,” Jason repeated.

“And I get to tend the cardio-bunnies.”

“An? you get to tend the cardio-bunnies”

Lennie giggled with happiness. “An? live on the skinny-fatta the lan?.”

“Yes.”

Lennie turned his head.

“No, Lennie. Look down there across the car park, like you can almost see the place.”

Lennie obeyed him. Jason looked down at the gun.

There were crashing footsteps in the gym reception area now. Jason turned and looked toward them.

“Go on, Jason. When we gonna do it?”

“Gonna fo it soon.”

“Me an? you.”

“You?and me.” Ever?body gonna be nice to you. Ain?t gonna be no more trouble. Nobody gonna hurt nobody nor steal from ?em."

Lennie said, “I thought you was mad at me, Jason.”

“No,” said Jason. “No, Lennie. I ain?t mad. I never been mad, an? I ain?t now. That?s a thing I want ya to know.”

The voices came closer now. Jason raised the gun and listened to the voices.

Lennie begged, “Le?s do it now. Le?s get that place now.”

“Sure, right now. I gotta. We gotta.”

And Jason raised the gun and steadied it, and he brought the mussel of it close to the back of Lennie?s head. The hand shook violently, but his face set and his hand steadied. He pulled the trigger. The crash of the shot rolled across the gym and rolled back again. Lennie jarred, and then settled slowly forward on the yoga mat, and he lay without quivering.

HOLY FUCK!

I almost started crying. That part gets me every time.

Was that your work Diddy?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

Couldn’t … Stop …watching …

Was that filmed in some gym inside an insane asylum?

And that Jason dude reminds me of the guy in Saturday Night Fever who kept begging Tony to call him - and ended up jumping off the bridge … Wish I could find a pic - he had an awesome Caucasian Fro

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
HOLY FUCK!

Was that your work Diddy?[/quote]

It’s actually the end of a novel called “Of Mice and Men”, but I changed the words to suit the gym environment :stuck_out_tongue:

I got a bit depressed reading it too until I got to the cardio-bunny part.

[quote]Velvet Elvis wrote:

Was that filmed in some gym inside an insane asylum?

[/quote]

Have you ever belonged to a gym that doesn’t have a fair share of nuts?

I can think of several outstanding weirdos in the gym’s I’ve attended.

One guy at a Powerhouse, he wore a bandana in a headband style and tight T-shirts tucked into khaki or denim shorts. He would do all sorts of wacked out stuff on the pullup-and-dip apparatus and then after finishing would land on his feet and raise his hands a manner in which it appeared he was waiting for an ovation.

Another guy at a Bally’s was the original Jason Huh, Mr. Eighth of a Rep 1.0, who would do as this name implies, eighth reps, on everything: chins, cable rows, curls, bench presses, overhead presses, triceps pressdowns, and so on.

Some other pot-bellied permabulker would do every damn thing he could on a bench, stiff-legged deads on a bench, curls on a bench, bent over rows on a bench.

Some guy at my current gym who I suspect is some type of fighter walks back and forth between sets and feigns punches with his shoulders every few steps. This can be nerve wracking to be around.

There are more, but my memory isn’t serving me well right now.

[quote]Diddy Ryder wrote:

HOLY FUCK!

It’s actually the end of a novel called “Of Mice and Men”, but I changed the words to suit the gym environment :stuck_out_tongue:

[/quote]

lol, yes, I know that’s the end of “Of Mice and Men”. It’s one of my favorite books and a very moving passage. Your reinterpretation dredged up many of the same feelings for me that the original did.

So, cheers for that.

HOLY FUCK!

[/quote]

lol, yes, I know that’s the end of “Of Mice and Men”. It’s one of my favorite books and a very moving passage. Your reinterpretation dredged up many of the same feelings for me that the original did.

So, cheers for that.[/quote]

I got dust or something in my eye when reading that.

LOL

Diddy, that was beautiful

[quote]aeyogi wrote:

HOLY FUCK!

[/quote]

So, cheers for that.[/quote]

I got dust or something in my eye when reading that.[/quote]

Sorry guys I suppose the Palumboism thread was the last place you were expecting to find real emotion lol

I was at the gym tonight, sprawled across the wall were pics of Kai spanning a number of years.

Given the change in size of his body parts over those years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him here in a decade (though maybe we was just bloated)

[quote]tsantos wrote:
I was at the gym tonight, sprawled across the wall were pics of Kai spanning a number of years.

Given the change in size of his body parts over those years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him here in a decade (though maybe we was just bloated) [/quote]

I think with certain competitors it’s just a matter of time. I’ve heard people in the past blame the judges and the IFBB for creating the environment that leads athletes to destroy themselves over the years. I’m sure that’s more applicable for some rather thsn others, but it does make you think. No one is making you really engasge in any of the practices necessary to try to get to the top of the IFBB ladder.

S

[quote]tsantos wrote:

Given the change in size of his body parts over those years, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him here in a decade (though maybe we was just bloated) [/quote]

yep or dead even if those insane gh doses are true

Looking back on the physiques of yesteryear, I ask myself, “What the hell happened?!”

Dennis Newman

What happened?!

Hamdullah Aykutlu, still competing and never destroyed his physique.

Funny story. I was watching a video posted buy a guy who does a form of ART.
So I cut through all the intro crap in the beginning and start it a couple minutes in. The therapist is meeting with an older guy who, you could tell, was some type of bodybuilder(has his shirt on at this point) then the guy takes his shirt off for an assessment. And immedietly I’m like “damn this guy looks like shit”, and as I’m looking over him I’m thinking to myself-hey this guy has palumboism.

Turned out to be Dave Palumbo…

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Turned out to be Dave Palumbo…[/quote]

It’s so weird how these guys with names similar to a condition end up with it. It happens so often as well, like a weird curse.

Don’t call your kid Lupas is all I can say.

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]Phoenix44e wrote:

Turned out to be Dave Palumbo…[/quote]

It’s so weird how these guys with names similar to a condition end up with it. It happens so often as well, like a weird curse.

Don’t call your kid Lupas is all I can say.[/quote]

Are you serious?

Palumboism was named after Dave Palumbo.