T Nation

Palumbo-Style Ketogenic versus Carb Rotation Diet

I will not be competing but as someone who works in nutrition/dietetics, I want to further my real world education and possibly help some people out individually in the future outside of my “9 to 5”.

Anyone here have any thoughts on what worked for them and who should use which approach?

Anyone ever try Palumbo’s diet? I was considering putting a friend on it.

By working with Shelby, I have more or less been following Palumbo’s approach. I have been kept flat for several weeks in my prep, so that Shelby can really see if I’m losing bodyfat every 5 days or so when I send him pics.

Who should use it? I think it’s easy as running someone starch/sugar free (only carbs from veggies/fiber) for 5 straight days and see how they respond in the gym. Personally, I’ve been making PRs in the gym up to one week out from show with zero carbs, so it’s a good approach for me.

At 1 week out I’m leaner than anyone competing in my division from my gym. It’s also a great tactic from a competitive perspective. No one I’m competing against has a real sense of how “big” I am, as I will look like I put on 20lbs of muscle the day of the show just from finally having glycogen in my muscles!

Contrast this with a peer of mine who’s doing BBing division and is typically more carb tolerant than me. His 5 day depletion left him vomiting, headache-y and strength dropped like 25%. Not the right approach for him.

Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?[/quote]
I had some no fat and no carb days with shelby, let me tell you, those were some of my worst days of my life. I could handle the keto part, but taking out the fats was horrid

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
By working with Shelby, I have more or less been following Palumbo’s approach. I have been kept flat for several weeks in my prep, so that Shelby can really see if I’m losing bodyfat every 5 days or so when I send him pics.

Who should use it? I think it’s easy as running someone starch/sugar free (only carbs from veggies/fiber) for 5 straight days and see how they respond in the gym. Personally, I’ve been making PRs in the gym up to one week out from show with zero carbs, so it’s a good approach for me. At 1 week out I’m leaner than anyone competing in my division from my gym. It’s also a great tactic from a competitive perspective. No one I’m competing against has a real sense of how “big” I am, as I will look like I put on 20lbs of muscle the day of the show just from finally having glycogen in my muscles!

Contrast this with a peer of mine who’s doing BBing division and is typically more carb tolerant than me. His 5 day depletion left him vomiting, headache-y and strength dropped like 25%. Not the right approach for him. [/quote]

That’s very interesting that you’re still making PR’s. What’s the % of macro look like for you in terms of fat/protein intake?

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?[/quote]

if by “back in the day” you mean “for his prep where he won his procard”

then yes, Shelby worked with palumbo “back in the day”

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?[/quote]

if by “back in the day” you mean “for his prep where he won his procard”

then yes, Shelby worked with palumbo “back in the day”[/quote]

I thought it was YEARS ago.

IIRC, Shelby teamed up with Palumbo on his contest diet for his most recent contest

What exactly is Palumbo Keto compared to normal keto diet?

[quote]shffl wrote:
What exactly is Palumbo Keto compared to normal keto diet?[/quote]

I would link, but I don’t think mods would like that. You can Google it and there’s endless sources explaining things in full.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]shffl wrote:
What exactly is Palumbo Keto compared to normal keto diet?[/quote]

I would link, but I don’t think mods would like that. You can Google it and there’s endless sources explaining things in full.[/quote]

Right. Google “Palumbo diet” and tons of info comes up, some with very helpful threads with people coaching themselves through it.

[quote]Mr. Walkway wrote:
IIRC, Shelby teamed up with Palumbo on his contest diet for his most recent contest[/quote]

ahhhh it has finally clicked with me that that was what palumbo was alluding to in the post contest interview!

I did some searches. So it’s pretty much 60%P 30%F 10%C for the most part. That’s interesting because I know a lot of powerlifters had great results eating high protein/med fat/low carb diet and able to pretty much stay below 10%bf all year round while making consistent gains.

[quote]shffl wrote:
I did some searches. So it’s pretty much 60%P 30%F 10%C for the most part. That’s interesting because I know a lot of powerlifters had great results eating high protein/med fat/low carb diet and able to pretty much stay below 10%bf all year round while making consistent gains. [/quote]

Well, there’s a myriad of factors for why someone would do something like this and invest stock into it.

For one, it does work, but it’s hellish on the metabolism and the brain. It’s also mind-numbingly simple.

I have the kind of body and metabolism that needs to be pushed into ketosis to make good, forward progress with my physique. For instance, I’m dieting right now. Before my massive re-feed yesterday, I was a few pounds lighter than in my avi. With still using carb cycling and more macros than something like the Palumbo diet, I’ve continued to make progress. Unfortunately, my body being the way it is, I’m going to be switching to Dave’s Keto for the last 4-6 weeks.

Not everyone needs it, undoubtedly. It’s really become a little taboo in the industry (to a certain point) and people tend to find ways to work around resorting to ketosis if they can avoid it.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?[/quote]

No. Same fat everyday since start of prep. Cheat meals saturday night.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?[/quote]

No. Same fat everyday since start of prep. Cheat meals saturday night. [/quote]

Were you doing any cardio?

[quote]shffl wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
Thanks for the reply. Now I know you can’t lay out all of what Shelby’s doing with you. I know Shelby once worked with Palumbo back in the day.

Do you have a refeed day while on the Palumbo keto diet? Any “no fat” (and no carb) days?[/quote]

No. Same fat everyday since start of prep. Cheat meals saturday night. [/quote]

Were you doing any cardio?[/quote]

Yep, progressed from 20 min to 50 min fasted morning LISS.

Also, what exactly defines carb tolerance? That’s something that I’ve always wondered about. How does one actually measure the tolerance?

[quote]shffl wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
By working with Shelby, I have more or less been following Palumbo’s approach. I have been kept flat for several weeks in my prep, so that Shelby can really see if I’m losing bodyfat every 5 days or so when I send him pics.

Who should use it? I think it’s easy as running someone starch/sugar free (only carbs from veggies/fiber) for 5 straight days and see how they respond in the gym. Personally, I’ve been making PRs in the gym up to one week out from show with zero carbs, so it’s a good approach for me. At 1 week out I’m leaner than anyone competing in my division from my gym. It’s also a great tactic from a competitive perspective. No one I’m competing against has a real sense of how “big” I am, as I will look like I put on 20lbs of muscle the day of the show just from finally having glycogen in my muscles!

Contrast this with a peer of mine who’s doing BBing division and is typically more carb tolerant than me. His 5 day depletion left him vomiting, headache-y and strength dropped like 25%. Not the right approach for him. [/quote]

That’s very interesting that you’re still making PR’s. What’s the % of macro look like for you in terms of fat/protein intake?
[/quote]

For final stretch when I went to zero carb 60% pro, 40% fat about, though fat would sneak up higher than that if I decided to throw in some red meat for good measure.

[quote]shffl wrote:
Also, what exactly defines carb tolerance? That’s something that I’ve always wondered about. How does one actually measure the tolerance?[/quote]