Pallof Press Anyone?

So I first read about the pallof press some time ago in some of Cressey’s stuff. I understood how it worked in theory–anti-lateral flexion…yea, yea…–but was always skeptical in the back of my head, as it didn’t appear to take that much effort. Well, I’m glad to say I was completely wrong and completely humbled by my first go at them tonight. I had to reset the cable weight stack 3 times before I landed on a measly 40 lbs for just 3 sets of 10. Damn those things are tough!

Is he standing next to the pulley or in front of it? It look like next to (but about 2 feet way)

I guess I’ll give them a try on Friday…what’s the purported benefit?

oh man I’m stupid…look in the mirror! He’s standing next to it.

[quote]Nards wrote:
Is he standing next to the pulley or in front of it? It look like next to (but about 2 feet way)

I guess I’ll give them a try on Friday…what’s the purported benefit?[/quote]

From a functional/athletic standpoint, one of the primary purposes of the core musculature is to resist torso/spinal rotation, flexion, extension etc. So, functional trainers will implement exercises to train the muscles to contract and strengthen with that in mind. Exercises like this are also much more spine friendly than traditional flexion rotational movements. Another great one is the chop/lift done with movement at the hips and shoulder, while keeping the core stable.
Try and focus on keeping your breathing steady throughout the exerc.

Thanks for that!

I’ve always used cable front presses for core. There are so many variations that it never really gets easy. If you REALLY want to feel core muscles engaging, do it kneeling - it takes your hips out of the equation. Or do it with 1 arm. Or do the press, lift the cable vertically with your arms fully extended, then bring it back down and in.

I love this exercise, but I always get the exact same reaction when I demonstrate it for clients for the first time.

“That’s it?”

Then, they are humbled.

[quote]SILVERDAN7 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

I guess I’ll give them a try on Friday…what’s the purported benefit?[/quote]

From a functional/athletic standpoint, one of the primary purposes of the core musculature is to resist torso/spinal rotation, flexion, extension etc. So, functional trainers will implement exercises to train the muscles to contract and strengthen with that in mind. Exercises like this are also much more spine friendly than traditional flexion rotational movements. Another great one is the chop/lift done with movement at the hips and shoulder, while keeping the core stable.
Try and focus on keeping your breathing steady throughout the exerc.
[/quote]

Cable body saw = awesome.

[quote]Im_New_Feed_Me wrote:
I’ve always used cable front presses for core. There are so many variations that it never really gets easy. If you REALLY want to feel core muscles engaging, do it kneeling - it takes your hips out of the equation. Or do it with 1 arm. Or do the press, lift the cable vertically with your arms fully extended, then bring it back down and in.

I love this exercise, but I always get the exact same reaction when I demonstrate it for clients for the first time.

“That’s it?”

Then, they are humbled.[/quote]

Exactly, I use this with every client. Not only is it a great core stability ex. from a business standpoint, it is something that most PT clients have never done anything even remotely similar to and is decievingly hard, which I feel ups my status with most new clients. It kind of shows them hey, I know things you have never even heard of that work your body in ways you have never even experienced. An it’s safe and easy. I know that Gray Cook, who I am a huge follower of likes the chop and lift more, but I find the Palloff to be a very easy starting point for the less coordinated.

“That’s it?”

I’ll be sure to progress through all these variations as soon as my knee is fully healed (still can’t kneel on it.) What is a cable front press exactly? Are you doing this with one arm, or with two cables and both arms like a chest press?

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

“That’s it?”

I’ll be sure to progress through all these variations as soon as my knee is fully healed (still can’t kneel on it.) What is a cable front press exactly? Are you doing this with one arm, or with two cables and both arms like a chest press?[/quote]

Cable front press = Palloff.

I started using this a few years ago, not knowing what it was called, so I made up my own name.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

“That’s it?”

I’ll be sure to progress through all these variations as soon as my knee is fully healed (still can’t kneel on it.) What is a cable front press exactly? Are you doing this with one arm, or with two cables and both arms like a chest press?[/quote]

I started using this a few years ago, not knowing what it was called, so I made up my own name. [/quote]

lol…didn’t you know the name makes or breaks everything?! Even though you are doing the same exercise, it will not be as effective if you think it has a wussy name like cable front press. Pallof press has that training-like-a-warrior ring to it and that definitely plays a role. There’s a lot of science from a university somewhere that supports this claim 100%.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

“That’s it?”

I started using this a few years ago, not knowing what it was called, so I made up my own name. [/quote]

lol…didn’t you know the name makes or breaks everything?! Even though you are doing the same exercise, it will not be as effective if you think it has a wussy name like cable front press. Pallof press has that training-like-a-warrior ring to it and that definitely plays a role. There’s a lot of science from a university somewhere that supports this claim 100%.
[/quote]

It’s the same as “rear foot elevated split squats” sound slike gay ass sex compared to the much more manly “Bulgarian Split Squats”

It’s the same as “rear foot elevated split squats” sound slike gay ass sex compared to the much more manly “Bulgarian Split Squats”[/quote]

Whatever you call them, they inevitably make me cry like a little girl. To this day, that is the only lift that has actually made me heave during a conditioning workout.

Bulgarian split squats aren’t even from Bulgaria… and Pallof presses are just named after Joe (or John… I forgot) Pallof, a physical therapist… who, by the way, isn’t even very old.

[quote]edwardhuntington wrote:
Bulgarian split squats aren’t even from Bulgaria… and Pallof presses are just named after Joe (or John… I forgot) Pallof, a physical therapist… who, by the way, isn’t even very old.[/quote]

Way to ruin the mystery, mystery ruiner.