Pallets Of Baby Formula Sent To Illegal Immigrants

In the words of your favorite leader… “come on man”. Really? The problem is as you said later… kick them back over the line. We shouldn’t be holding them in the first place.

3 Likes

Several months ago I considered starting a thread titled Civil War and Balkanization versus Kicking the Can Down the Road.

I’m surprised Pat’s most recent thread, Divided We Fall didn’t gain much traction.

1 Like

It would be a good thread.

I think the largest mistake would be using the military against US citizens. You already have a large swath of the country that HATES the federal government. I am one of them.

2 Likes

I imagine most Americans have led vastly easier lives than citizens of 3rd world countries. Might lack the fighting spirit and ability to suffer and go without than people who’ve grown up in war zones have. And how many people own weapons? If you take a state like mine (SD), then I’m sure you have a decent percentage of the population who can operate a gun and maybe have some familiarity with the outdoors, as in, can camp or maybe even hide.

How many people in San Francisco, Miami, or Boston can? How many of them own guns? Have any combat/nature know-how? Plus, being in a larger city raises the issue of technology that I mentioned earlier. In Patriots Day, they recreated the scene where Marky Mark’s character figured out the path the Boston Marathon bombers took. The FBI was immediately able to tap in to the stores’ cameras, and could follow the dudes every step of the way. Might make it a tad bit harder to hide when compared to the mountains of Afghanistan.

Oh I’m sure. But what say do they have? If a group of soldiers splits off and joins a militia, what do their CO’s do? They’d know where they are, and then have the same surveillance capabilities on them as they would citizens.

Anyway, not the point of the thread, haha. I just don’t see the average American standing a chance against a trained, armed soldier. @twojarslave just said something about the average Baby Boomer man (right?) being able to beat up the average Millennial/Gen Z man. Think they can go head to head with some Marines? @dt79 doesn’t always chime in on US-related stuff, but I think he has made comments regarding the reality of a civil war and American’s probable lack of preparation for a real civil war.

I notice there doesn’t seem to be a lot of outrage about the fact that some of your families don’t have their needs met until someone tries to provide for illegal immigrants.

2 Likes

I only claimed most boomer men can probably still beat up most gen z men.

I’m on the tail end of gen x, which means we now have millennials in their 40s. Their newfound old man strength is probably too much for the dwindling old man strength of boomers.

Gen z would just get the business.

3 Likes

Well our government should not be providing for illegal immigrants over citizens, so yeah there should be outrage. They are literally spending our tax dollars on those that don’t even belong here or contribute.

They are supposed to work for their constituents - not citizens of other countries.

3 Likes

And this is what I think is worth talking about.

Maybe not everybody here agrees on taking care of those who have been detained (seems like a given that you have to do this, but IDK). I don’t have much I think I can argue on that.

The article seems to have the goal of getting people upset over pallets of formula, when the actual issue is policy regarding detained illegal immigrants.

3 Likes

Totally understand your viewpoint, and i’m not trying to argue against it.

My point is that I don’t see the same level of anger and resentment about the fact that they aren’t providing for their own constituents.

3 Likes

It is just a symptom of a pattern of not providing for their constituents that is visible and has been outed.

It infuriates me because I pay A LOT in taxes every year. None of this will affect me as I have been blessed monetarily, but there are a lot of people that aren’t out there.

These are the same politicians that would lump me in the group of “not paying their fair share” while they turn around and squander tax dollars.

2 Likes

I hope I never have to find out, but if I were to wage a guess…
One side dominating so thoroughly that the losing side would no longer be interested in using desired pronouns for their 87 different genders. You also miss a point that while the military is the government, that the oath enlisted folk swear is not to the government, but to uphold and protect the constitutions from all enemies foreign and domestic. Also, most people in the military are quite conservative and likely would never open fire on US citizens.

This all being said, I do not hope for a civil war - merely that the ~80 million people that voted for an invalid to become president will begin using their brain.

1 Like

Some fun history:
A concise history of infant formula (twists and turns included) (contemporarypediatrics.com)

1 Like

That is neat info!

Luckily, my wife breastfeeds 95% of the time. We just get formula for emergencies / to supplement.

1 Like

Humans today seem almost paralyzed by pre-made conveniences. I wonder how people survived 70 to 100 years ago. I guess they made due.

Hmmm…

I can understand the concern with giving people the green light today. Maybe we had more confidence in human intelligence 70 years ago.

1 Like

Convenience too. We are a nation of convenience.

2 Likes

From the article posted above:

What ever happened to women being able to feed babies with their otherwise useless (although amazing) boobs?

Like it’s your 1 job to do while we go hunt woolly mammoths.

EDIT:
Fuck, it’s hard to spell woolly mammoths

2 Likes

Spoken like someone who has never had a kid nor any experience in dealing with newborns :rofl:

2 Likes

While I understand and broadly agree with the sentiment that a nation’s government should prioritize the well-being of its own citizens, I think its also clear that any civilized nation has a strong obligation to care for the literal infants that it is holding in detention centers. It is very frustrating to pay extra money on eBay, spend additional time breastfeeding, or concoct a replacement from ingredients found at the grocery store, but in the broader scheme these options are luxuries not afforded to many of the people that the government opted to send this formula to.

For the record, I did not vote for Biden and think that he is largely an embarrassment. I just don’t understand the scorn for immigrants that seems to underly a lot of these comments. Yes, they broke they law. But many of them made that difficult decision for the opportunity to work an awful job for poverty wages simply because it was the best option available to them and their family. The difference between any one of us and any one of them is that we happened to be born on the lucky side of an imaginary line that has existed in its current state for all of 170 years.

I don’t know. This thread bummed me out.

5 Likes