Palin Was a Director of Embattled Sen. Stevens's 527 Group

Maybe Ms. Palin will take time off from pointing fingers at everyone else and come clean on her relationship with Senator Stevens. It is alot more involved than Obama spending time on a neighborhood board with Bill Ayers.

ST. PAUL – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin began building clout in her state’s political circles in part by serving as a director of an independent political group organized by the now embattled Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens.

Palin’s name is listed on 2003 incorporation papers of the “Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc.,” a 527 group that could raise unlimited funds from corporate donors. The group was designed to serve as a political boot camp for Republican women in the state. She served as one of three directors until June 2005, when her name was replaced on state filings.

Palin’s relationship with Alaska’s senior senator may be one of the more complicated aspects of her new position as Sen. John McCain’s running mate; Stevens was indicted in July 2008 on seven counts of corruption.

Palin, an anti-corruption crusader in Alaska, had called on Stevens to be open about the issues behind the investigation. But she also held a joint news conference with him in July, before he was indicted, to make clear she had not abandoned him politically.

Stevens had been helpful to Palin during her run for governor, swooping in with a last moment endorsement. And the two filmed a campaign commercial together to highlight Stevens’s endorsement of Palin during the 2006 race.

Shortly after Palin was announced as McCain’s vice presidential pick, the ad was removed from her gubernatorial campaign web site. It remains available on YouTube.

A federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., has accused Stevens of concealing on financial disclosure statements lucrative gifts from the now-defunct oil company Veco and its top executives. At one point, Veco employees and contractors jacked up the senator’s mountainside house on stilts and added a new first floor, with two bedrooms and a bathroom, the indictment says.

Stevens became the first sitting U.S. senator to face criminal charges in 15 years. He has adamantly denied the allegations.

At the time Stevens revealed the existence of the 527 group – a type of independent political corporation named for its the section of the tax code – ethics experts questioned whether it was appropriate.

The Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call reported that several experts called the group an example of the fine legal line between a legal effort to conduct political activity and then-new prohibitions against raising unlimited soft-money.

Board members of Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service were legally allowed to raise as much money as they wanted from corporations or unions or unlimited donations from individuals – all of which would have been illegal for Stevens to do himself.

At the time of the 2004 Roll Call report, Stevens’s involvement was limited to some conversations with the group’s board.

“He has just agreed that we can use his name,” Gloria Shriver, the founder of the group and wife of Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich, told the newspaper. “He did say that we could use [his name] and wished us the very best.”

During her interview, Shriver left open the option that Stevens might help with some fundraising, the newspaper reported.

There is no record in IRS filings as to how much the group eventually raised.

A Palin spokeswoman did not provide a response to questions about the 527 this morning.

Nope. Doesn’t matter anymore.

When you are losing I guess it doesn’t matter.

[quote]RoadWarrior wrote:
When you are losing I guess it doesn’t matter.[/quote]

I’m not voting McCain/Palin. However, I was thinking about one cadidate getting a pass regarding his close and long term relationship with an America hating, conspiracy theorizing, race-baiting pastor. And when alliances with a far left unapologetic domestic terrorist can be overlooked…Or, when Acorn gets overlooked. Or Rezko. Or, Franklin Raynes Etc. Etc. Well, hearing moral outrage from the left is a bit laughable.

Maybe Ms. Palin will take time off from pointing fingers at everyone else and come clean on her relationship with Senator Stevens. It is alot more involved than Obama spending time on a neighborhood board with Bill Ayers.

ST. PAUL – Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin began building clout in her state’s political circles in part by serving as a director of an independent political group organized by the now embattled Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens.

Palin’s name is listed on 2003 incorporation papers of the “Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service, Inc.,” a 527 group that could raise unlimited funds from corporate donors. The group was designed to serve as a political boot camp for Republican women in the state. She served as one of three directors until June 2005, when her name was replaced on state filings.

Palin’s relationship with Alaska’s senior senator may be one of the more complicated aspects of her new position as Sen. John McCain’s running mate; Stevens was indicted in July 2008 on seven counts of corruption.

Palin, an anti-corruption crusader in Alaska, had called on Stevens to be open about the issues behind the investigation. But she also held a joint news conference with him in July, before he was indicted, to make clear she had not abandoned him politically.

Stevens had been helpful to Palin during her run for governor, swooping in with a last moment endorsement. And the two filmed a campaign commercial together to highlight Stevens’s endorsement of Palin during the 2006 race.

Shortly after Palin was announced as McCain’s vice presidential pick, the ad was removed from her gubernatorial campaign web site. It remains available on YouTube.

A federal grand jury in Washington, D.C., has accused Stevens of concealing on financial disclosure statements lucrative gifts from the now-defunct oil company Veco and its top executives. At one point, Veco employees and contractors jacked up the senator’s mountainside house on stilts and added a new first floor, with two bedrooms and a bathroom, the indictment says.

Stevens became the first sitting U.S. senator to face criminal charges in 15 years. He has adamantly denied the allegations.

At the time Stevens revealed the existence of the 527 group – a type of independent political corporation named for its the section of the tax code – ethics experts questioned whether it was appropriate.

The Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call reported that several experts called the group an example of the fine legal line between a legal effort to conduct political activity and then-new prohibitions against raising unlimited soft-money.

Board members of Ted Stevens Excellence in Public Service were legally allowed to raise as much money as they wanted from corporations or unions or unlimited donations from individuals – all of which would have been illegal for Stevens to do himself.

At the time of the 2004 Roll Call report, Stevens’s involvement was limited to some conversations with the group’s board.

“He has just agreed that we can use his name,” Gloria Shriver, the founder of the group and wife of Alaska Republican Party Chairman Randy Ruedrich, told the newspaper. “He did say that we could use [his name] and wished us the very best.”

During her interview, Shriver left open the option that Stevens might help with some fundraising, the newspaper reported.

There is no record in IRS filings as to how much the group eventually raised.

A Palin spokeswoman did not provide a response to questions about the 527 this morning.

[/quote]

HOw on earth is Stevens anywhere near Ayers, Wright, or Khalidi? 527s are not uncommon. You think they don’t exist in spades for dems?

When you are losing I guess it doesn’t matter.[/quote]

Well, all of the “losers” have yet to be determined. We’ll have to wait until Obama gets into the executive branch and begins his reign until we can account for all of the “winners” and “losers.” We wouldn’t want to count our chickens before they’ve hatched.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

HOw on earth is Stevens anywhere near Ayers, Wright, or Khalidi? 527s are not uncommon. You think they don’t exist in spades for dems? [/quote]

It’s their denial and the acceptance of that denial that is amusing. Palin is either being convicted or investigated daily by both her own party and bi-partisan efforts of ethics violations. But that’s ok, they are using that as political tools, as long as she does it, it’s ok.

People love to talk about Reverend Wright but let someone bring up Palin’s witchdoctor and weird religous views and the sheep come running to protect her. It’s perfectly Christian to have some “religous killer” from Kenya put a spell on you.

I am not going to bother with Ayers thats old and run to death.

Khaldi is the best though. I love to listen to McCain rail about him. As usual he keeps secret the part where HE and his foundation raised and gave $880k to Khalida and his group. Obama never supported Khalidi and never showered him with money and reference. Although John has never been known for being loyal to anyone but his own needs.

dhickey wrote:

HOw on earth is Stevens anywhere near Ayers, Wright, or Khalidi? 527s are not uncommon. You think they don’t exist in spades for dems?

It’s their denial and the acceptance of that denial that is amusing. Palin is either being convicted or investigated daily by both her own party and bi-partisan efforts of ethics violations. But that’s ok, they are using that as political tools, as long as she does it, it’s ok.

People love to talk about Reverend Wright but let someone bring up Palin’s witchdoctor and weird religous views and the sheep come running to protect her. It’s perfectly Christian to have some “religous killer” from Kenya put a spell on you.

Khaldi is the best though. I love to listen to McCain rail about him. As usual he keeps secret the part where HE and his foundation raised and gave $880k to Khalida and his group. Obama never supported Khalidi and never showered him with money and reference. Although John has never been known for being loyal to anyone but his own needs.[/quote]

Ayers maybe old and run to death but Obama needs to come clean on his association with him.

Wright is a jew hating, white hating radical. It just so happens Obama considered him a mentor, had him marry him and baptize his children. No matter how much distance he puts between himself and Wright I will not forget. You can’t be hand in hand with someone for 20 years and then denounce them 3 months before your run at the White House and expect people with more than a brain stem to forget.

Neither candidate is the best option. Obama is just way to radical in his social policies for me. The fact that he associates with the above mentioned is just icing on the cake.

The number one reason I could never support Obama is because of his support of the bill refusing medical care to babies born due to a botched abortion. The man has children. How anyone could support this after watching the birth of their child is deplorable.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
RoadWarrior wrote:
dhickey wrote:

Khaldi is the best though. I love to listen to McCain rail about him. As usual he keeps secret the part where HE and his foundation raised and gave $880k to Khalida and his group. Obama never supported Khalidi and never showered him with money and reference. Although John has never been known for being loyal to anyone but his own needs.

Ayers maybe old and run to death but Obama needs to come clean on his association with him.

Wright is a jew hating, white hating radical. It just so happens Obama considered him a mentor, had him marry him and baptize his children. No matter how much distance he puts between himself and Wright I will not forget. You can’t be hand in hand with someone for 20 years and then denounce them 3 months before your run at the White House and expect people with more than a brain stem to forget.

Neither candidate is the best option. Obama is just way to radical in his social policies for me. The fact that he associates with the above mentioned is just icing on the cake.

The number one reason I could never support Obama is because of his support of the bill refusing medical care to babies born due to a botched abortion. The man has children. How anyone could support this after watching the birth of their child is deplorable.[/quote]

Why did you leave out Khalidi? I don’t support obama but John did give him (Khalidi) the cash.

snipeout wrote:
RoadWarrior wrote:
dhickey wrote:

The number one reason I could never support Obama is because of his support of the bill refusing medical care to babies born due to a botched abortion. The man has children. How anyone could support this after watching the birth of their child is deplorable.

Why did you leave out Khalidi? I don’t support obama but John did give him (Khalidi) the cash.
[/quote]

I left out Khalidi because I don’t know much about him. I am a little disturbed how Obama has had plenty of dinners with jew haters yet claims to support Israel. I believe Obama also the full support of Farrakhan.

If you can show me where McCain has had such close companionship with jew haters and domestic terrorists I would be more than willing to read the info. I just don’t see how anyone can support someone with such anti-American undertones. I can honestly say I would not vote for this man even if I knew he was guaranteed to fix the economy based solely on his association with people who hate what America stand for.

[quote]snipeout wrote:
I left out Khalidi because I don’t know much about him. [/quote]

[quote]ninearms wrote:
snipeout wrote:
I left out Khalidi because I don’t know much about him.

[/quote]

Sorry I don’t put alot of stock in wikipedia. Thanks for the link though.

[quote]snipeout wrote:

The number one reason I could never support Obama is because of his support of the bill refusing medical care to babies born due to a botched abortion. The man has children. How anyone could support this after watching the birth of their child is deplorable.[/quote]

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not vote for Obama but this isn’t one of them. Obama isn’t against providing medical care to children born after a botched abortion. Their just wasn’t a need for another law since there was already one on the books.

From the link:
At the October 15 debate he also defended it, saying, “there was already a law on the books in Illinois that required providing life-saving treatment.”

[quote]bpeck wrote:
snipeout wrote:

There are plenty of legitimate reasons to not vote for Obama but this isn’t one of them. Obama isn’t against providing medical care to children born after a botched abortion. Their just wasn’t a need for another law since there was already one on the books.

From the link:
At the October 15 debate he also defended it, saying, “there was already a law on the books in Illinois that required providing life-saving treatment.”
[/quote]

He also said how he didn’t start his political career in Ayers living room. Do you believe everything POLITICIANS say?

[quote]snipeout wrote:
Do you believe everything POLITICIANS say?[/quote]

No, but I tend to believe the most plausible explaination. Since there was already a law on the books that protected a child that was born alive I think it is more plausible that Obama thought another law was not needed. I think it is less plausible that he wants to kill babies. As you said in your earlier post, "The man has children.

How anyone could support this after watching the birth of their child is deplorable." I agree and that is why I believe his statement in this situation.

I hate to say it, but both sides need to tone down the search for “reasons” that the other candidate is evil incarnate.

Palin has issues that are self-evident when she tries to talk policy with reporters. Abuse of power is also a potential concern given that she’s running for second in line for the most powerful position on the planet.

It shouldn’t matter if Palin had dealings with Stevens or not, unless she was doing something inappropriate. The same is true with the ridiculous innuendo concerning Obama’s associations.

The policies and issues the candidates are talking about, and how they express themselves, is probably a better barometer.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I hate to say it, but both sides need to tone down the search for “reasons” that the other candidate is evil incarnate.
[/quote]

Hey dumbass - IT’S ELECTION TIME!!!

This is exactly what happens every four years.

Why do you guys come around barking orders for the US to behave in a certain manner when it doesn’t have a fucking thing to do with you or your country?

Take your elitist bullshit and keep it in Canada.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
vroom wrote:

Hey dumbass - IT’S ELECTION TIME!!!

This is exactly what happens every four years.

Why do you guys come around barking orders for the US to behave in a certain manner when it doesn’t have a fucking thing to do with you or your country?

Take your elitist bullshit and keep it in Canada. [/quote]

Lol, Rainjack, are you saying that the election of the leader of the most powerful country in the world (for the time being) doesn’t consern others?