Paleolithic Nutrition

This is a great thread. I’ve read alot on the Paleo diet and found it very interesting. I think the best way to go about diet is to eat foods as close to their natural state, free from chemicals and preservitives. Organic food will always be better for you and tastes unbelievably better. I say if you can afford it go with the whole organic food.

David,

just to clarify I assume we are talking about secondary intolerance.

I have to agree with Tiffy. I don’t know whether it is just the way your phrased it but the prevalence of lact. intolerance is huge. Most of the evidence points to it being the majority of people who are intolerant.

Whilst low in Caucasians (in the US around 5%) but the further east you get the higher the rate. I believe in some select towns in China they have observed around 95% intolerance. Asia, the Middle East, Africa and Australian aborigine all have high (though varying) rates, that makes up a pretty good chunk of the globe. Even India where more (up treated) milk is drunk the % goes from around 20 in the north to over 70 in the south. China and India have the two largest populations each 3 times greater than the third on the list.

The US is a case in point.

White Americans ~5%,
Native Americans ~70%,
Asian Americans ~80-90%.

You may well be right about the gentic basis tough, a paper brough out in 2002 by a team from UCLA seemed to show that lactase persistance was a new (<10000 years) trait.

How the hell do you guys know so much about milk and lactose intolerance?! Is there some secret dairy crime syndicate I’m not aware of (run by cows, of course)?

And what is secondary intolerance? Is it based on degrees of magntude, or how it’s acquired or what? I think I have quaternary intolerance myself.

Okay, I said that it was pervasive, but I really had no idea it was THAT pervasive in the rest of the world (oh no! I’m becoming Americanized!!! :).

It’s pretty cool that we can almost track the origins and development of the genes involved… reminds me of why I started my University career in anthropology.

Cheers

Primary is intolerance before weaning (sp?), secondary appears after weaning ? the most common.

The genetic study was something to do with single nucleotide polymorphisms in Koreans Danes and some other peoples. Basically they all had the same types of changes in the DNA if they were lactose tolerant no matter where they were (as opposed to intolerant ones the same country). I just read the paper, it’s all statistics but they statistics say that probably means evolution. It’s been 5 years since my undergrad genetics classes and my head hurts.

It’s funny, at the nutrition faculty where I am all around we have that classic food pyramid and it is soooooooo wrong. Even the legumes and grain thing. Yes eat grains etc but realise that it is just modified grass and we don’t necessarily have the metabolism to make it the basis of our diet. It all about numbers and economies. We live in a grain based society now - the earth could not sustain us all on an even remotely paleo diet.

So we all are dairy intolerance experts;)

But what about the claims that grains and even sometimes beans can cause diseases. I am not talking about the risk of eating refined grains or too many grains or the carbohydrates. I am talking about their supposed ability to cause cancer and autoimmune diseases. The idea that they are not a food humans are adapted to? Any thoughts?

[quote]tiffy wrote:

But what about the claims that grains and even sometimes beans can cause diseases. I am not talking about the risk of eating refined grains or too many grains or the carbohydrates. I am talking about their supposed ability to cause cancer and autoimmune diseases. The idea that they are not a food humans are adapted to? Any thoughts?[/quote]

Like the song said… ‘Everything gives you cancer’, there are no miracle foods. I am getting the impression that you are hoping to come up with a ‘list’ of foods that are 100% safe to eat, so you will live forever? IMHO, if we derive any net positive affect from any food, we(humans) are adapted to it. We may not be able to make use of 100% of it, but it will give something to us. I wonder what is our definition of ‘adapted to’? If we mean that we are only ‘adapted to’ food which our bodies will use 100% of, then, such a thing does not exist, ergo, we are not ‘Adapted to’ any food on this planet. The sewage system is around for a reason.
I know this is not what you were looking for, just my thoughts…

[quote]Johnka wrote:

One of the more interesting aspects of this that I’ve seen lately is that the first members of our own species (Homo sapiens) are found primarily near coastal settings. The theory is that seafood provided a superior diet, particularly DHA, which gave us our big-ol’ brains.[/quote]

Yeah, I read about that somewhere too. Another interesting thing is that what separates human from apes and others are that we’re relatively hairless and stand up straight was because we spent a lot of time in the water while apes and rest of others spend alot of time in the trees. Look at those hairless mammals, they spend relatively large amount of time in the water or nearby the water.

mowgli…you can pry my oatmeal from my cold dead cancer ridden hands (j/k)

I don’t want to prove the safety of any food. I want to hear how other people think of these claims.

Just to pose a couple of questions here…
1)How many of us reading this thread regularly consume organic/grass fed/free range foods?
2)What do we ultimately hope to achieve long-term by eating these foods?

[quote]BodyIQ wrote:
1)How many of us reading this thread regularly consume organic/grass fed/free range foods?
2)What do we ultimately hope to achieve long-term by eating these foods?

[/quote]

I am in the process of making changes for the sake of baby. It’s much better to keep the baby’s immune system functioning at the optimum level than trying to inject all kinds of vaccine crap into the baby. All it takes is a proper type of diet to keep the immune system working at the highest level as possible. Feed the baby junk food, she/he will get sick much more often because of weakened immune system. That’s why alot of those doctors went beserk trying to inject vaccines into the babies.

[quote]BodyIQ wrote:
1)How many of us reading this thread regularly consume organic/grassfed/free range foods?[/quote]

I do. I?m in SF, CA and do all of my shopping once a week at Whole Foods market. It is the best store in SF in my opinion and they have everything one can possibly need.

To goal to follow healthy eating habits that also support my exercise plan and my current efforts to gain lean muscle.

[quote]tiffy wrote:

But what about the claims that grains and even sometimes beans can cause diseases. I am not talking about the risk of eating refined grains or too many grains or the carbohydrates. I am talking about their supposed ability to cause cancer and autoimmune diseases. The idea that they are not a food humans are adapted to? Any thoughts?[/quote]

I think that this is only half the story. People who claim that beans and grains have cancer causing properties and are toxic are talking about UNCOOKED beans and grains causing harmful effects on the body. Thats why I always cook my oats, even though its much easier to eat them uncooked. And beans taste better cooked anyways.

I would like to give this Paleo diet a try. Can anyone give a sample diet for someone trying to build muscle? I guess I could just buy the book (which I plan on doing) but just trying to get an idea.
Thanks!

How about a sample diet?

Here is a very simple example of the Paleo Diet. However, as long as you keep dairy and processed grains out or cut down to a minimum, any foods can be considered Paleo. I’m sure some authors are more strict that other’s, but the basics of the diet are whole, organic, natural and fresh fruits, veggies, nuts, meat and fish. Other than that, anything goes. Another way of looking at the Paleo Diet is the Atkins diet, plus whole carbs from veggies and fruit, minus unhealthy fatty meats like bacon.

Breakfast-
6-8 egg whites w/ 2-3 whole scrambled (I cheat and add a little bit of hard cheese), fresh fruit of your choice.

Lunch-
Large chicken salad with olive oil/vinegar, odvacado, mixed nuts, apple or two.

Snack-
Natural peanut butter on your choice of raw veggies, and/or dried fruit and mixed nuts combo.

Dinner-
Large salmon fillet, steamed broccoli.

TS