Paleo Man Was Cannibalistic

[quote]Eli B wrote:
This is triggering some vague memory of reading about (maybe for class back in high school) an isolated tribe that was suffering from some kind of horrible wasting disease that looked like huntingtons or parkinsons. They were diagramming family trees trying to figure out if it was recessive or dominant, sex linked or any of the other odd genetic variations.

Turned out it was not congenital at all but acquired by eating the remains of fellow tribesmen. I think it was a long the lines of mad-cow disease, horrible awful proteins wreaking havoc in tissue that would love to get inside of you and do the same.

They stopped fucking eating each other and the disease went away.

Or something like that. It was a long time ago.

[/quote]

Pretty sure you’re talking about incidences of kuru in Papua New Guinea.

After reading the Wiki entry on Gein and following the link at the bottom, I couldn’t help but notice the irony-

“Life- A Very Sexy Christmas”

http://www.life.com/image/first/in-gallery/39992/inside-a-serial-killers-house

Very strange tag lines considering the subject.

[quote]Ithiel wrote:

[quote]Eli B wrote:
This is triggering some vague memory of reading about (maybe for class back in high school) an isolated tribe that was suffering from some kind of horrible wasting disease that looked like huntingtons or parkinsons. They were diagramming family trees trying to figure out if it was recessive or dominant, sex linked or any of the other odd genetic variations.

Turned out it was not congenital at all but acquired by eating the remains of fellow tribesmen. I think it was a long the lines of mad-cow disease, horrible awful proteins wreaking havoc in tissue that would love to get inside of you and do the same.

[/quote]

Pretty sure you’re talking about incidences of kuru in Papua New Guinea. [/quote]

I think yer right.

The transmission section of the wikipedia entry is interesting. It describes why it was confusing to researchers who thought maybe it was a wierd sex-linked recessive trait –

Transmission:

It is believed by doctors and researchers that the disease spread easily and rapidly in the Fore people due to their endocannibalistic funeral practices, in which relatives consumed the deceased to return the “life force” of the deceased to his hamlet, a Fore societal subunit.[8] The dysmorphism evident in the infection ratesâ??kuru was 8â??9 times more prevalent in women and children than in men at its peakâ??is because while the men of the village took the choice cuts, the women and children would eat the rest of the body including the brain, where the prion particles were particularly concentrated. There is also the strong possibility that it was passed on to women and children more easily because they took on the task of cleaning relatives after death and may have had open sores and cuts on their hands.[2] Although ingestion itself of the prion particles can lead to the disease,[9] there was a high degree of transmission if the prion particles could reach the subcutaneous tissue. With elimination of cannibalism because of Australian law enforcement and local Christian missionaries’ efforts, Kuru rapidly declined among the Fore. However, the mean incubation period of the disease is 14 years and cases were reported with latencies of 40 years for those who were most genetically resilient.

LarryDavid who is in that avatar???

So they were cannabalistic out of necessity. When a member died they would eat the remains to keep predators away and to be safe from hunting. What is the problem?? This is just another thread for you to rant for awhile

[quote]Daniel-San wrote:

[quote]LarryDavid wrote:
uuhhhh…k[/quote]

This thread was extremelly well saved by your avi.[/quote]

I do what I can man, I do what I can :D.

[quote]Bambi wrote:
LarryDavid who is in that avatar???[/quote]

Wish I knew, sorry dude. TinEye didn’t show any results either.

[quote]Eli B wrote:

[/quote]

Hey, I saw a documentary about this in high school. The disease was called koree or koray. It is apparently a relative of Mad Cow Disease. They weren’t eating people entirely, actually, just the brains.

Anyway, I think we are all missing Brick’s point… If the paleo diet is best, and paleo people practiced cannibalism, then should we be doing that too?

My answer is no, for a few reasons. 1) We need to abide by the norms and customs of our time, which preclude cannibalism. 2) Most if not all cannibalism among primitive tribes seems to be more ritualistic than nutritional. Cannibals don’t eat people for protein, they eat them on occasion to absorb their power or some such magical thinking. 3) IF we were going to eat people, they should be grass-fed (ie, not eating processed junk) and free range (ie, not lazy lard ass). That stipulation alone eliminates most of the supply. 4) They should deserve to be eaten. I mean, like TV’s Dexter, we must abide by some sort of moral code if we’re going to do something rather heinous like this. So that just about eliminates everyone else except for a maybe a handful of clean-eating douchebags.

[quote]BobParr wrote:
3) IF we were going to eat people, they should be grass-fed (ie, not eating processed junk) and free range (ie, not lazy lard ass). [/quote]

Keeps the estrogens down. Free range peoples are awesome.

I could see cannibalism as a last ditch effort for survival. That doesn’t mean eating zombies; you never know how the disease is transmitted. I mean eating vegetarians when the doctor says you need more roughage in your diet.

[quote]Mad HORSE wrote:
I could see cannibalism as a last ditch effort for survival. That doesn’t mean eating zombies; you never know how the disease is transmitted. I mean eating vegetarians when the doctor says you need more roughage in your diet.[/quote]

I agree, if we start eating zombies then we are no better than they are.

V

And this is how the zombie apocalypse is going to happen. Though we live in a nation where food is in excess abundance, anyone can grow delicious veggies in their flower beds, and healthy is only one “I’ll buy a bag of salad instead of chips” decision away, people will start digging up the dead in secret, at night, feasting on their flesh to get the secret of their life.

Diseases, funky and unknown to science, will manifest in their flesh. Mad Human Disease + some bastardized for of Taxoplasma gondii that has evolved in long-sealed tombs to infected human spinal cords will merge together to form both a reanimation virus AND a rage virus, infecting humans as they consume the flesh of corpses, killing them, then bringing them back to life.

We could stop the apocalypse only if humans had willpower, if they could look at that source of food and consciously decide, “That’s bad for me. I’m going to eat it.” But we all know that will never happen, they sob as they stuff cold gray human flesh down their throat.

The only saving grace? Half the zombies will be fat, their knees will decay before their rotund middle, and their legs will not be able to support them. They will literally become land whales, scooting down the road on their belly, head lifting occasionally to let out a long, low cry.

We will survive and restart the human race, and all future generations will know that both human flesh and trans fats are evil. Humanity must survive.

loads AK-47, salutes flag, hides out in bunker and waits

Ive been devouring motherfuckers for ages.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
Well, if I recall correctly, he only killed one woman and allegedly his own brother.

Doesn’t really qualify as serial murder.

He did a lot of weird shit though - grave robbing, decorating his home and making appliances and table and silverware with human bodyparts, dressing up in human skin, pretending he was a woman. He served human meat to his neighbors. He had a bag of silver painted vulvas, I think. A belt made of nipples. A vest made of human skin. Just far out shit!

How do people wind up so sick?!!! Dahmer was worse![/quote]

He only admitted to killing the one woman I think. If you’re interested in that shit then look up Albert Fish and Carl Panzram. Those are hands down the two creepiest serial killers I can think of, particularly Fish. That dude proved that a human can truly be evil.

First they killed you, then they ate you, then they skull fuc’d you…

bastards!

[quote]Squiggles wrote:
And this is how the zombie apocalypse is going to happen. Though we live in a nation where food is in excess abundance, anyone can grow delicious veggies in their flower beds, and healthy is only one “I’ll buy a bag of salad instead of chips” decision away, people will start digging up the dead in secret, at night, feasting on their flesh to get the secret of their life.

Diseases, funky and unknown to science, will manifest in their flesh. Mad Human Disease + some bastardized for of Taxoplasma gondii that has evolved in long-sealed tombs to infected human spinal cords will merge together to form both a reanimation virus AND a rage virus, infecting humans as they consume the flesh of corpses, killing them, then bringing them back to life.

We could stop the apocalypse only if humans had willpower, if they could look at that source of food and consciously decide, “That’s bad for me. I’m going to eat it.” But we all know that will never happen, they sob as they stuff cold gray human flesh down their throat.

The only saving grace? Half the zombies will be fat, their knees will decay before their rotund middle, and their legs will not be able to support them. They will literally become land whales, scooting down the road on their belly, head lifting occasionally to let out a long, low cry.

We will survive and restart the human race, and all future generations will know that both human flesh and trans fats are evil. Humanity must survive.

loads AK-47, salutes flag, hides out in bunker and waits[/quote]

Great post. When this goes down you wana start a zombie soccer league? We use the round zombies as the ball.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]Squiggles wrote:

Great post. When this goes down you wana start a zombie soccer league? We use the round zombies as the ball.

V[/quote]

There better be a lot of round zombies and even more soccer fields 'cause it’s gonna get real messy real fast.

[quote]Vegita wrote:

[quote]Squiggles wrote:

V[/quote]

My post-apocalyptic recreational activities are mostly going to involve firecrackers and zombie buttholes, but soccer sounds fun, too…

Cannibalism has actually lead to a version of mad cow disease (except originating from a human source) in the tribes that make a practice of eating the tissues of their fellow tribesman.

It’s basically another way of passing diseases (which can be passed any other way), which is probably why we stopped.

[quote]Oleena wrote:
Cannibalism has actually lead to a version of mad cow disease (except originating from a human source) in the tribes that make a practice of eating the tissues of their fellow tribesman.

It’s basically another way of passing diseases (which can be passed any other way), which is probably why we stopped.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuru_(disease)[/quote]

pretty sure this was covered at the top of the page. You go crazy from eating the brain. has something to do with microorganisms I believe.

[quote]Bambi wrote:
LarryDavid who is in that avatar???[/quote]

OT but she MUST be a Japanese AV star or rather, she should be.