Paleo Diet Good or Bad for Lifting?

I am so torn. I thought it was supposed to be amazing but then I viewed a vid by an expert (this man seems to really know his shit) saying that its a good died, but not for those who are working out? What the heck does this mean?

Here jump to the 11min mark

He says that its not good for optimal performance… then WHAT is?

Why not try it and see how your “performance” is.

I happen to disagree with his statement and reasoning.

The Paleo Diet consists of real unprocessed foods, and often can turn into a low-carb type of diet. Which for some people may hamper performance, either temporarily or extended periods.

But, it can also include more carbs given the person’s activity level if they feel they need them.

I have been eating Paleo for 2 years. I noticed an appreciable bump in performance just by the change in diet. You will notice an increase in your grocery bill and you may be surprised at how much food you seem to eat when you cut out grains.

I’m not trying to get huge so I can not speak for how well it would work for really massing up. But I can say that my HDL increased by 20 points, and my triglicerides are under 50 while eating what would seem to be large amounts of bacon, butter, and red meat.

[quote]MontisVerdes wrote:

I’m not trying to get huge so I can not speak for how well it would work for really massing up. But I can say that my HDL increased by 20 points, and my triglicerides are under 50 while eating what would seem to be large amounts of bacon, butter, and red meat.

[/quote]

funny how that works :wink: my doctor said “maybe you’re different”… I wonder how many other “different” people there are out there.

He says if you are exercising less than 5 hours per week Paleo is OK. Now a LOT of strength training can be done in 5 hours per week, if that is what you mean by “working out”. And there are still good carb choices in even stringent paleo diets, although there are many interpretations of “paleo” and how and when the Macros should be utilized with training. The bigger question is why do you care what he thinks (“you” meaning anyone)?

Bullshit. Tell that to John Meadows,MountainDog diet. He looks pretty yoked to me.

[quote]magick62d wrote:
Bullshit. Tell that to John Meadows,MountainDog diet. He looks pretty yoked to me.[/quote]

Are you saying Mountain Dog diet is paleo? It is not. John recommends starches like sweet potatoes, oats, and rice.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:
Bullshit. Tell that to John Meadows,MountainDog diet. He looks pretty yoked to me.[/quote]

Are you saying Mountain Dog diet is paleo? It is not. John recommends starches like sweet potatoes, oats, and rice. [/quote]

You are correct sir! He does include a lot of saturated fats,meat,eggs,and salmon,leafy greens and veggies similar to paleo. But not strict paleo.

[quote]magick62d wrote:

Are you saying Mountain Dog diet is paleo? It is not. John recommends starches like sweet potatoes, oats, and rice. [/quote]

sweet potatoes are paleo, paleo is not anti-starch

Yep.

What is Paleo exactly and does it matter? and there are clearly multiple interps, many of them well-founded. The label matters less than what the thing --a specific approach–does.

The Leangains guy Berkhan has pretty much dialed-in what works for many trainees also, while sticking to lots of meat and whole foods but well-timed carbs including starches. And Gironda was doing this before most of these guys were born (I was there for that). Some current anti-inflamatory guys have done well too. I think John Meadows says some great things on his site; at least I agree with them and a similar dietary approach works for me!

Then there are the individual differences and insulin sensitivities (among other issues) that matter.

But rather than get hung up on definitions, at day’s end it all comes down to Macros and Calories vs. output and are you (“you” meaning anyone) getting the results you want eating as you do.

[quote]magick62d wrote:

yup. White potatoes, and Ezekiel bread as well. Keep in mind that his diet coincides with his training, which is intense as fuck and simply put, requires carbs. I think Paleo is good with those who have a bit of fat to lose, even if you are training hard. IMO in that case, restrict carbs at every meal except peri-workout (drink Anaconda or something). But once you are in that 8-10% range, you can start adding in carbs like John Meadows recommends. He just told me via email (I’m doing his program) to cut carbs everywhere, but take 3 scoops of Anaconda for his workouts.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

[quote]magick62d wrote:

sweet potatoes are paleo, paleo is not anti-starch[/quote]

Some do, some don’t, and others say it depends on how your body reacts.

Any ways I prefer Nate Miyakis and John Meadows approach to eating.