Pakistan Teetering on the Edge

Well, this is what you get when you don’t take terrorist threats seriously. All we need is the taliban to get nukes.

So what should we do?
If I were running the show, I would launch a full scale attack on the taliban, in Pakistan. It is clear Pakistan is not in control of the situation. The governement is unstable enough to fall, and they have nukes…Talibani’s have every intensive to over throw the governement and take over.

So is obama going to roll over and pee on himself, apologize to the taliban and try to negotiate, or find some testicles and take care of the issue?

What I know is this situation is no joke. I really don’t see a way out of a full scale military attack.

I am not clear why Pakistan’s Army isn’t there right now. What the fuck are they doing instead?

Like you said- the Taliban can’t be allowed to get nukes.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I am not clear why Pakistan’s Army isn’t there right now. What the fuck are they doing instead?

Like you said- the Taliban can’t be allowed to get nukes.[/quote]

It may not matter, Pakistan is in turmoil the army may not be loyal and may not be in a position to do anything about it. I don’t know what the feds are doing right now, but drawing up battle plans is the only thing they should be doing.

Boy Musharraf falling sure stabilized that country. Taliaban power has grown exponentially since his governement was over thrown.

[quote]pat wrote:
Taliaban power has grown exponentially since his governement was over thrown.[/quote]

I posit that American airstrikes helped that growth tremendously.

Like the US can fight another war on s 3rd front in downtown Pakistan? The Afghan war is an untenable situation, the Russians saw that only too late and we’re going down the same rabbit hole. Iraq is a matter of saving face and backpedaling away from that open cesspool that we’ve only made worse.

So do we fish or cut bait, fuck or fall back? There’s nothing much that can be done especially if the Pakistan army sides with the Taliban.

BG

[quote]pat wrote:

Well, this is what you get when you don’t take terrorist threats seriously. All we need is the taliban to get nukes.

So what should we do?
If I were running the show, I would launch a full scale attack on the taliban, in Pakistan. It is clear Pakistan is not in control of the situation. The governement is unstable enough to fall, and they have nukes…Talibani’s have every intensive to over throw the governement and take over.

So is obama going to roll over and pee on himself, apologize to the taliban and try to negotiate, or find some testicles and take care of the issue?

What I know is this situation is no joke. I really don’t see a way out of a full scale military attack.[/quote]

Unsurprisingly, you have no idea what you’re talking about.

[quote]beachguy498 wrote:
Like the US can fight another war on s 3rd front in downtown Pakistan? The Afghan war is an untenable situation, the Russians saw that only too late and we’re going down the same rabbit hole. Iraq is a matter of saving face and backpedaling away from that open cesspool that we’ve only made worse.

So do we fish or cut bait, fuck or fall back? There’s nothing much that can be done especially if the Pakistan army sides with the Taliban.

BG[/quote]

No. You can’t let Pakistan fall. They share a tenuous border with India, and both are nuclear armed countries. On top of that, the idea of the Taliban having nuclear weapons is horrific. They are truly religious psychos, not just power hungry prics like Saddam.

I don’t know what you do, but you sure don’t let this happen.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat wrote:
Taliaban power has grown exponentially since his governement was over thrown.

[/quote]

anything to blame America, I suppose? How would you fight them? Let them be? Lot of good that did India.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

[/quote]

Another post full of nothing. Keep it going, you’re kicking ass.

BG[/quote]

Uhhh, it’s the same war and it has to be fought. There’s not much choice in the matter.

[quote]GDollars37 wrote:
pat wrote:

So what should we do?

What I know is this situation is no joke. I really don’t see a way out of a full scale military attack.

Unsurprisingly, you have no idea what you’re talking about.[/quote]

Prove it, idiot.

[quote]lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_missile_strikes_in_Pakistan[/quote]

I know you prefer suicide bombings, but let’s try to keep some degree of intelligence in the conversation…Try to keep up, young one.

lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

Another post full of nothing. Keep it going, you’re kicking ass. [/quote]

Dead people are “nothing”?

We’d get sent home packing if we went into Pakistan. The West isn’t going to win this war. This country would rip itself to pieces before the neccessary brutality and violence to break the Taliban was ever reached. The best we can do is tighten up immigration and our borders.

BG[/quote]

Agreed that both Afghanistan and Iraq are untenable wars. Unfortunetly, we have fooled around for far too long with Pakistan and their inability to control their western border region has been their biggest mistake in a while. We should have given them an ultimatum back in 2002: Let us help clean up your border region with you, or step aside and let us clean it up.

I am not one to support going against political allies, but Pakistan was stalling the whole time. This is only ancedotal, but I have been on that border personally and do not feel like Pakistan was keeping their end of the bargain they made with us when we invaded Afghanistan. I don’t know about a full scale ground war, but something will have to be done and it will probably not be pretty.

[quote]lixy wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

Dead people are “nothing”?[/quote]

I think the others mean that you can blame America all you want and I will agree we do things that inflame situations sometimes, but you are not really contributing. This is not bash America hour; what is your opinion on what should be done?

[quote]krstphr wrote:
I think the others mean that you can blame America all you want and I will agree we do things that inflame situations sometimes, [/quote]

In this particular case, there is no doubt in my mind that aerial raids that kill indiscriminately benefit the Talibans.

So yeah, let’s call it “inflame situations”.

Pakistan may not be overwhelmingly behind the Talibans, but given a choice between the US (even smiley Obama) and the Taliban, the country will rally behind the latter.

And that is what’s happening now.

The Talibans in Pakistan are a threat to the US mostly because of American military presence in the region. Your military went to Afghanistan to kick off Al-Qaeda and that was good. But on the way, Ben Laden and the rest were not much of a priority anymore. It became about expanding the sphere of influence and controling oil flow.

“What should be done”? I sincerely think the US should stay out of it. And here’s why: If your problem with the Talibans is that their ideology doesn’t live up to your standards of civil liberties, then it shouldn’t be any of your business. Just like their war with the Soviets back in the day should have been none of your business. On the other hand, if you fear that the Talibans will get it into their collective minds to come to the US and start slaughtering you, I doubt it. The Taliban government circa 2001 have condemned 9/11. And those folks don’t do diplomacy!

Despite what you may have been told, terrorist operations don’t require government support. If a group of people wants to blow up the subway in NY, they will do it regardless of the Talibans ruling villages in Waziristan.

If the issue is the Talibans getting their hands on nukes, they certainly wouldn’t use it to attack the US. The Talibans are not Al-Qaeda! And besides, India, Israel and Russia would be all over them (and by that, I mean annihilate the place) the minute they even think about doing something foolish.

The solution is education (compared to Afghans, Iraqis are all Nobel Prize laureates). Then, you’ll get more people rallying around pionner activists to push Talibans to the fringe. That takes time and, more importantly, peace.

[quote]lixy wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

Dead people are “nothing”?[/quote]

No you fucking horse’s ass. Your garbage “contributions” to this forum. I see that you addressed the other guy, but your shit about blaming this on drone attacks is ridiculous.

lixy wrote:
FightinIrish26 wrote:
lixy wrote:
pat wrote:

Dead people are “nothing”?

No you fucking horse’s ass. Your garbage “contributions” to this forum. I see that you addressed the other guy, but your shit about blaming this on drone attacks is ridiculous.
[/quote]

I’m not blaming it on drone attacks. I’m speculated that they helped the Talibans garner support.

What exactly is “ridiculous” about that?

Like you said- the Taliban can’t be allowed to get nukes.[/quote]

They have been entrenched near the India border ever since Pakistan extremists bombed that hotel in India, and India was wanting to retaliate. Some of Pakistan’s army has since been sent to deal with the Taliban.