T Nation

Pairing Up the Big 4 Lifts?

One thing I noticed while reading is that most programs that split up the big 4 have you doing deads and OHP one session and squatting and benching in a different session. Not every program, but a lot of the ones I read online and on this site (like David Tate’s article on a busy person’s 2 day a week program).

My question is if there’s a specific reason for pairing deads and OHP and then squat and bench versus squat and OHP and deads and bench?

Could be the demand the lifts place on the body. OHP is typically much lighter and uses less muscle groups than the other lifts. I think after heavy deadlifts it would be harder to perform a good bench than OH press. That’s my best guess at least.

Squatting and Deadlifting in the same day is hard; muscles are already fatigued with severity from one exercise or another.

Bench and Overhead press is the same; " ".

Splitting them is better to evaluate your strength and progress

[quote]ryno76 wrote:
Could be the demand the lifts place on the body. OHP is typically much lighter and uses less muscle groups than the other lifts. I think after heavy deadlifts it would be harder to perform a good bench than OH press. That’s my best guess at least.[/quote]

It’s basically this. You can go squat/press and deadlift/bench if you want to. It won’t make a big difference.