I have been doing DL for about 2.5 months and have made some decent gain

Yesterday looked like this:

1x10 135 with speed for a warmup
1x8 185 with speed for warm up
1x5 245 again more or less for warm up
1x5 265
1x5 285
1x5 295

My issue was after the set of 265 I got a pump in my erectors that was painful, at least I think I know what a pump is. I had to sit down. It subsided, and then again after the set of 285 I was in pain. It felt like my erectors were full of water and someone was squeezing the water out of a pin hole.

The pain was gone after the set of 295, and today is just regular DOMS�?� I waited for it to subside before doing 295.

What happened?
Is this common? And if so what is it called?
Sorry if i sound like an idiot.

I dont know the jargon mate but your lifting alot repetitavely, cant u squeeze it down to 3/4 sets, and just increase quicker with the weight. fuck warming up with weight. only my amateur opinion

It sounds like a form issue. Get someone knowledgeable to check it or post a vid.

You might be starting the pull with your legs straightening too early. Make sure that at the start of the pull your butt is low and the barbell rubs your shins on the way up. This keeps the weight closer to your body and reduces some of the strain on your back. If you don’t have nicks and bruises on your shins, you’re not doing it right.

[quote]Naturanabolic wrote:
I dont know the jargon mate but your lifting alot repetitavely, cant u squeeze it down to 3/4 sets, and just increase quicker with the weight. fuck warming up with weight. only my amateur opinion[/quote]

Fuck warming up?
On deadlifts?
I really hope you’re trolling.

[quote]MC sp3 wrote:
It sounds like a form issue. Get someone knowledgeable to check it or post a vid.

You might be starting the pull with your legs straightening too early. Make sure that at the start of the pull your butt is low and the barbell rubs your shins on the way up. This keeps the weight closer to your body and reduces some of the strain on your back. If you don’t have nicks and bruises on your shins, you’re not doing it right.[/quote]

My shins look like slabs of meat. Actually ripped a good chunk of skin off pulling 315. I wince kneeling for bent over DB rows from contusions. I wear pants too. I’m thinking of getting those arm pads I had in football years ago, and strapping them to my shins.

My form is ok. I have asked this other guy at the gym a few weeks ago.

So if I was just having an off day on form, lazy or whatever, I’m good with that. Because this was the first time it ever happened, and I’ve gone heavier. PHEW. I was worried for awhile.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Naturanabolic wrote:
I dont know the jargon mate but your lifting alot repetitavely, cant u squeeze it down to 3/4 sets, and just increase quicker with the weight. fuck warming up with weight. only my amateur opinion

Fuck warming up?
On deadlifts?
I really hope you’re trolling.[/quote]

Yeah not warming up and loading your spine. Good times right.

I’m usually a fuck warming up guy (bang out some lightweight squats or bench then load up and git er done everything else just get into it). But on deadlift day, I’ll do it properly.

I also find the deadlift is the one that takes maximum focus and the warmups are a good way of getting in the moment and discovering how my body is feeling that day.

is it possible that what you feel is a strong pump in the lower back that you’re not used to yet?

I get that while warming up squats . it goes away by the time I get to triples or doubles . when I used to pull sumo I didnt get it at all .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
is it possible that what you feel is a strong pump in the lower back that you’re not used to yet?
[/quote]

I thought of that, but I normally don’t get one at all. Thing is I just kind of sat down until it went away, and it was gone by the time I got to my last set, and now I’m fine

I think your right thou, and so was the form suggestion. I think I was lazy on form, pulled too much with my back, and had a true pump.

[quote]kiwinomad wrote:
I’m usually a fuck warming up guy (bang out some lightweight squats or bench then load up and git er done everything else just get into it). But on deadlift day, I’ll do it properly.

I also find the deadlift is the one that takes maximum focus and the warmups are a good way of getting in the moment and discovering how my body is feeling that day.

[/quote]

I’m the same way. Other than deads I normally only do more than one set of warmup’s if I still have DOMS or if i’m stiff.

This does not include stretching before ever workout.

Another thing I’m curious about is the negative portion of your deadlift. Are you “setting” the weight down or is it more of a controlled drop? Since you are relatively new to the deadlift it’s likely that the amount of weight you are lifting has gone up pretty fast. It’s easy to get away with slowly lowering a light weight back to the ground. But once that weight gets heavy, going too gentle on the eccentric can be dangerous.

Also make sure that you are getting your butt low enough. Sometimes people will start the pull with their legs, then the legs straighten at the knees and they finish the pull with their back. A form flaw like that puts a lot of strain on the back.

In a perfect gym you should drop the weight right?

I’m not very gentle on the way down at all. Ha ha. Weight slams off the floor often. Def a controlled drop. I have been trying to deload on every rep up until I hit 315, now I only deload if my grip is slipping. If that makes a difference.

I know I bend my knees to early on eccentric because I have bruises on the tops of them.

I’ll have to re-think about my PC position, I was sure it was low enought, but I’ll check it out again tonight. Although I might go SL tonight due to the fact my shins are still pretty tender. Or I won’t be a pussy, and just pull, who knows.

I used to have a problem with sitting in the dip position for too long, overthinking everything, maybe when I tried to fix that I lifted my butt.

Today is supposed to be a light day, but that never works out for me, I always end up angry about something. Light days are good form days.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Naturanabolic wrote:

Fuck warming up?
On deadlifts?

he doesnt need that much weight warming up is what im saying. I only use my bar to warm up my backs good, need to buy a belt sometime …

[quote]Artem wrote:
Naturanabolic wrote:

Fuck warming up?
On deadlifts?

he doesnt need that much weight warming up is what im saying. I only use my bar to warm up my backs good, need to buy a belt sometime …

Dead lifts train your back, it makes your back burn, it’s called working out.

Seriously, I get the same sensation in my quads when I do squats.

You just have to live with it.

For some reason people equate any sort of back discomfort when lifting with something being wrong. If you are training your spinal erectors, they should burn. They may even be sore for a couple of days.

When people who see me walking funny find out my back is sore they almost always ask, “how’d you hurt it”. I then have to explain that it’s not injured, I’m training it.

Replace your back statement with another exercise/body part and see how silly it sounds. Painful bicep pump when curling or chest burns when I do flies.

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Dead lifts train your back, it makes your back burn, it’s called working out.

Seriously, I get the same sensation in my quads when I do squats.

You just have to live with it.

For some reason people equate any sort of back discomfort when lifting with something being wrong. If you are training your spinal erectors, they should burn. They may even be sore for a couple of days.

When people who see me walking funny find out my back is sore they almost always ask, “how’d you hurt it”. I then have to explain that it’s not injured, I’m training it.

Replace your back statement with another exercise/body part and see how silly it sounds. Painful bicep pump when curling or chest burns when I do flies.[/quote]

I’m picking up what your throwing down, it’s just never been painful to the point I had to sit down before. Just wanted to double check with people that actually do them.

But yeah if I had thought of the curl reference I wouldn’t have worried about it.

I don’t normally curl or fly though.

Check your form. My friend used to complain about pain when he deadlifted. I deadlifted with him one day and helped his form out and he has not complained since.

[quote]Naturanabolic wrote:
Artem wrote:
Naturanabolic wrote:

Fuck warming up?
On deadlifts?
I really hope you’re trolling.

he doesnt need that much weight warming up is what im saying. I only use my bar to warm up my backs good, need to buy a belt sometime …[/quote]

If I warmed up with the bar then went into a heavy set I think I would die. I always run for 10 minutes and stretch to loosen up before deads. Then I slowly pyramid the weight up. You would hurt yourself going from the bar to 405.

start lifitng then say this is the warm up!
i train for atrophy so my weight increases every set, my first definitely acts as my warm up. one day I’ll learn

What kind of pain was it?

Stabbing? Dull? Scale of 1-10? Did occur whilst your were doing the reps or once you have put the weight down? Can you get someone to spot your technique?