T Nation

Painful Dips

Hi-

I figured this was the best place for this question. I am having pain in the center of my chest right on the sternum when doing dips. I can usually work through the pain, but was wondering if anyone has had similar problems and found a solution.

Thanks,

Chris

Deal with it. Shoulder/elbow pain during dips is something to be concerned with. But sternum pain is likely just the soft tissue and cartilage dealing with the new stress. It should go away eventually.

After your last set do 1 dip and hold the bottom position to really stretch it out. Dont hurt your shoulders though by going too low.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
Deal with it. Shoulder/elbow pain during dips is something to be concerned with. But sternum pain is likely just the soft tissue and cartilage dealing with the new stress. It should go away eventually.

After your last set do 1 dip and hold the bottom position to really stretch it out. Dont hurt your shoulders though by going too low. [/quote]

I will try stretching it out in the bottom. Thanks for the advice. It just seems odd. I use to do dips all the time and had no problems. I stopped for a while and have gotten back into them recently and now I have this pain.

Thanks,

Chris