Pain While Squatting

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I apologize if this is a dumb question.

I am fairly new (been doing weight training for 6 weeks now). I started my program with squats as one of the exercises. When I was doing the squats I was getting a pain in my appendix area and it felt like it was going to burst. I stopped the squats and switched to Leg Press.

I guess the question I ask is this: Is doing squats a far superior exercise to do compared to leg press? And if so, is there anything I can do to start getting back to squatting?

Thanks to anyone who answers.

I had a similair pain last week, except it was nearer the groin region, on the left. I took the week off from squats, and restarted yesterday by making sure my form was in check, and lightened the weight a bit. No problems this time round.

You wanna give that a try? I think with squats and deadlifts you should make EXTRA sure that your form is correct, because they could lead to some nasty injuries.

[quote]rsg wrote:
I had a similair pain last week, except it was nearer the groin region, on the left. I took the week off from squats, and restarted yesterday by making sure my form was in check, and lightened the weight a bit. No problems this time round.

You wanna give that a try? I think with squats and deadlifts you should make EXTRA sure that your form is correct, because they could lead to some nasty injuries.[/quote]

I am going to give it a shot this week. I know squats should be a part of my routine, but I am afraid of injury, especially at this point where I have finally committed to a weight lifting routine and am sticking to it.

I will ask someone at the gym to check my form and I will also lower the weight.

Thanks for your reply.