T Nation

Pain When Skipping

Why post this here? Because I figure the fighters on this site will be the ones most likely to have come across this.

I skip as part of my warm-up for lifting, recently, I’ve had shooting pain down the front of my shins. It started when I switched from just jumping two footed to running under the rope as well (mixing it up a bit).

They’re fine when I do movements that don’t involve moving my feet, such as squatting and deadlifting, but movements involving moving my feet cause shooting pains. At the moment, walking is an interesting challenge.

I assumed it was muscular, but I can pull my toes back towards my knee without pain (although it could be that my quad is activating over the muscle at the front of the shin), so I’m not sure that’s the problem.

Has anyone come across this, or got any idea what the hell I’ve managed to do to myself?

Shin splints, no? Lots of people get it when they first start running/skipping. I just worked through it and it went in a couple of weeks.

Warmup better and reduce how much you skip rope by at least 50%.

get a tennis ball and roll the muscular side of your shins, your gastrocs and soleus. Make sure you stretch your ankles out before you skip.

Often times you need to ‘warmup’ before your warmup if you know what i mean.

Make sure you’re warming up your knee’s good as well. Do knee circles, lay on your back and extend them, move them around, etc

Then slowly increase how much you skip.

If the pain continues after that then you probably have shin splints. Nothing to do then except NOT skip, or do anything that hurts, let them heal, and take your anti-inflammatory meds.

Then you take the aforementioned prehab shit and see if you can work up to it again.

[quote]JonnyTMT wrote:
Shin splints, no? Lots of people get it when they first start running/skipping. I just worked through it and it went in a couple of weeks.[/quote]

Great, cheers. I looked up shin splints, and it seems to fit.

I’m not sure about working through it though, last week I did skipping as a warm up friday morning, and I was still struggling with them sunday night. Since it only seems to be when I run under the rope, I’ll try switching to double unders instead of running.

[quote]Xen Nova wrote:
Warmup better and reduce how much you skip rope by at least 50%.

get a tennis ball and roll the muscular side of your shins, your gastrocs and soleus. Make sure you stretch your ankles out before you skip.

Often times you need to ‘warmup’ before your warmup if you know what i mean.

Make sure you’re warming up your knee’s good as well. Do knee circles, lay on your back and extend them, move them around, etc

Then slowly increase how much you skip.

If the pain continues after that then you probably have shin splints. Nothing to do then except NOT skip, or do anything that hurts, let them heal, and take your anti-inflammatory meds.

Then you take the aforementioned prehab shit and see if you can work up to it again. [/quote]

Makes sense. I thought I was starting off slowly enough (normally start off with a couple of 30 second rounds of slow skipping first), but I’ll try the knee mobility thing as well, thanks.

Losing weight (body fat) worked well for me in curing this. At a point I was just carrying too much to run and skip efficiently and my shins were suffering.

Xen is right, lots of prehab goes a long way.

You can also employ ice, and some taping techniques if you must.

you want to stretch,
warm up/mobility
ice
and tape if you have to- diagonally across the
front of the shin

also none of us are doctors.

kmc

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
also none of us are doctors.

kmc[/quote]

I know, I’m just wondering if anyone’s experience it before, I’m not after sound medical advice. I’m going to employ the RICE principle anyway, then just increase the pre-warmup warmup. If it gets worse, I will get myself off to a physio or doctor (they’re all crap around here though) :slight_smile:

Reduce your skipping drastically for 1-2 weeks. If the pain continues at all sith this lower workload then stop completely for several weeks. I’ve seen this several times before.

OMC

Hey man, I know exactly whats happening with you. This has happened to me many times. I also skip rope for my warm ups and every time after I start working out after a long time I go through this.

It is not a big deal. It is your shins getting sore. If you have a foam roller, roll your shins on that, where it is tender. If not, do what Xen Nova said, just use a tennis ball. I know you are thinking it is going to hurt a lot, but just from the first session, your pain will become almost half.

Other than that, just eat Motrin or some other anti inflammatory and ice it. Jog for warm ups in the mean time. Once it gets fixed (should not be more than couple weeks), it won’t happen again. Even if it does, it will be much milder.

This is very common.

[quote]Fluid wrote:
Hey man, I know exactly whats happening with you. This has happened to me many times. I also skip rope for my warm ups and every time after I start working out after a long time I go through this.

It is not a big deal. It is your shins getting sore. If you have a foam roller, roll your shins on that, where it is tender. If not, do what Xen Nova said, just use a tennis ball. I know you are thinking it is going to hurt a lot, but just from the first session, your pain will become almost half.

Other than that, just eat Motrin or some other anti inflammatory and ice it. Jog for warm ups in the mean time. Once it gets fixed (should not be more than couple weeks), it won’t happen again. Even if it does, it will be much milder.

This is very common.[/quote]

Cheers man, I’ll give the foam rolling a try tomorrow. I’m not sure about jogging to warm up, may stick to bodyweight exercises instead (squats, lunges, push-ups, etc).

Watch what you’re jumping rope on, too. Jumping on concrete will kill your shins. At least put a mat of some sort down to give you some cushion if that’s your situation.

Run backwards as a drill incorporated into your routine and fire the underdeveloped muscles in your shins, also hit up the foam roller.

[quote]kmcnyc wrote:
Xen is right, lots of prehab goes a long way.

You can also employ ice, and some taping techniques if you must.

you want to stretch,
warm up/mobility
ice
and tape if you have to- diagonally across the
front of the shin

also none of us are doctors.

kmc[/quote]

Not trying to knock the profession but when it comes to athletics and physiology doctors aren’t usually the first ones to turn to. Unless you are lucky to live near a sports med doctor who really is a sports med doctor or know one.

Have you done calf raises. Do a set of 20 with weight weight on a surface with a decline so you can get a good stretch. If you feel it in your calf your fine, if you feel it at the bottom of your feet, then the muscles in your feet may not be endurance/strength strong enough to support the amount of jumping you switched to at your weight.

If this is the case along with some prehab reducing and slowly increasing frequency and length will work. Or you can cut the jump rope for a little while and walk/run.

Many people stretch their calves alot like me which stretches the back but compresses the shins. Now your shins are nice and crunched up while your calves are nice and loose, this quickly creates feet muscle imbalances. Stretch both sides of the leg. Try rocking back from your heals to your toes for a few weeks to loosen everything up.