T Nation

Pain/Tightness in Glute

CT and others: I have been having slight pain in my left glute for a few weeks. I call it "pain" but it doesn't really hurt so much as it just feels numb or tight. Its hard to describe. It does not flare up while I am lifting or anything and it has not impacted me one way or the other, I just know it is there and it has my attention. It is confined to my rear glute area and I can feel it down slightly into my hamstring. Usually it tightens up when I am standing for prolonged periods.

My flexibility is good. I have not injured myself recently. It is not hindering me from lifting or anything else but I don't want it to develop into something serious. It could be just because I am getting old as crap. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this and if it is something that I need to go see a Dr about, assuming it does not get worse.

Look at Kelly Starrett on YouTube for hip impingement. You could have a tight joint capsule. That’s what I would do and just follow along with what he says.

I would take a lacrosse ball and use it to loosen up the tissues which is one thing that Kelly Starrett has recommended

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:
I would take a lacrosse ball and use it to loosen up the tissues which is one thing that Kelly Starrett has recommended[/quote]

You’re going to hate life for a while! :wink:

[quote]tsantos wrote:

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:
I would take a lacrosse ball and use it to loosen up the tissues which is one thing that Kelly Starrett has recommended[/quote]

You’re going to hate life for a while! ;-)[/quote]

Oh its horribly painful but it feels so good after you are done. I was suffering from tightness for a long time, mostly due to too much sitting form being a police officer working 10 hour shifts. I bought Becoming a Supple Leopard and starting working tissues with a lacrosse ball and its worked wonders. But yes you will hate it while doing it for sure.

Thanks guys. I see that since I posted this there is now a new forum for injuries and rehab.

I used a baseball and a baseball bat to roll around on. The bat hurt the least but still generally Hurt like crap during but felt better after. I am going to do those a couple of times a day and see how it goes. Thanks again.