T Nation

Pain Near the Ribs

I am getting a bit of pain near my rib. It seems like it is in the ligiments connecting my transverse abdominus to my ribs (is there such a thing?). I have gotten it on my right side and it went away after a few days. Now I have it on my left side. It seems to come after very intense deadlifting sessions. Anyone have anything similar happen to them? Any way to avoid it?

I have had this happen to me when I wear my 13mm power belt a little too tight. It would put a TON of pressure on those lower ribs and cause me pain for the next few days. All I did was get a 10mm to pull in and everything is good. This is usually a problem for shorter lifters (I am 5’4’’ on a tall day). Not sure if this is exactly what is going on with you, but it may be something to think about.

Along the same lines as Apostate, it IS very possible to “break” a rib without actually doing anything directly to it. Most of the time, this is the connective tissue between ribs that is damaged. Does it hurt to breathe?

[quote]Cherrymennos wrote:
Along the same lines as Apostate, it IS very possible to “break” a rib without actually doing anything directly to it. Most of the time, this is the connective tissue between ribs that is damaged. Does it hurt to breathe? [/quote]

Yes it does hurt to breathe. That being said, I don’t think it is a broken rib cause the pain is not as severe as I would expect from something like that.

Ive injured a rib doing a cable row with bad form. I didnt even feel it when I was doing the row, but I felt it a little when I did pull ups a couple of minutes later. It hurt a little bit when I would sleep on it and take a deep breath. About a month later I just bent over to tie my shoe and felt a little something crack and I broke it. The pain really wasn’t that bad, I didnt expect that I broke it until I got it x-rayed.