T Nation

Pain Med Alternatives Post-Surgery

hey, this question goes out to anyone who has had surgery and or is on long term pain meds.

up until recently i have been on 30 mgs of oxy’s. my new doctor then changed me over to 30 mgs of morphine sulphate. the obvious down falls to either of these meds is the fucking constapation which results in taking additional meds for that and of course both of these make me tired as shit. and im pretty sure the storing of gas due to the constapation has a lot to do with my appetite being horrible.

to my question… i had my lung removed so i have a huge scar; im no longer in extreme pain but the soreness is enough to need something. i also always have soreness in my legs, probably more because of bad circulation because i have not been very active for obvious reasons so i take morphine for that reason to.

anyways, can anyone reccomend any alternative pain meds/remedies that dont have the side effects of morphine or oxys???

Lung removed?

That sucks.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
Lung removed?

That sucks.[/quote]

I laughed… and will go to hell.

On the other hand, my recently son had a lobe removed. Hurt as hell, according to him. He went off the morphine as quickly as he could. I will check what he took after that. I know he fairly quickly was on 1g acetaminophen after that. There is light at the end of the tunnel (and it’s a train heading towards you).

TQB

Nucynta recently became available in the US, classified as a schedule II narcotic, but it’s not the same opiate, or cousin of, that oxy and morphine are. (oh, opium, how popular you are.)

they say that because it’s a new molecule, and effects different pain receptors, that it’s not as addictive nor does it have as many of the same side effects.

Because they dont know EXACTLY how it works, I’m not a huge fan, (same reason I don’t like anti-depressants) but here’s a link.

http://www.nucynta.com/nucynta/index.html

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Kinesio tape can aid in pain relief and scar tissue breakdown, believe it or not.

I doubt it would eliminate the need for pain meds, but it could well facilitate a significant reduction in dose.

Also, the correct application of tape over the scar should result in a less developed scar/more inconspicuous healing result.

BBB[/quote]

True, but I suspect a lot of the pain comes from the bruising from wrenching ribs apart to get access. (Yes, your mental picture is correct.) I can attest to the wonders of taping.

Just taper down the Oxy and go to Hydrocodone of choice. Are you taking stool softeners?

[quote]CBear84 wrote:
Nucynta recently became available in the US, classified as a schedule II narcotic, but it’s not the same opiate, or cousin of, that oxy and morphine are. (oh, opium, how popular you are.)

they say that because it’s a new molecule, and effects different pain receptors, that it’s not as addictive nor does it have as many of the same side effects.

Because they dont know EXACTLY how it works, I’m not a huge fan, (same reason I don’t like anti-depressants) but here’s a link.

http://www.nucynta.com/nucynta/index.html[/quote]

ill check this out. but to be frank, many, many drugs are prescribed and used without having any idea how or what mechanisms make it work so that doesnt bother me, but im going to look into this one

[quote]DJHT wrote:
Just taper down the Oxy and go to Hydrocodone of choice. Are you taking stool softeners? [/quote]

taking 3 diff meds just to poop

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Kinesio tape can aid in pain relief and scar tissue breakdown, believe it or not.

I doubt it would eliminate the need for pain meds, but it could well facilitate a significant reduction in dose.

Also, the correct application of tape over the scar should result in a less developed scar/more inconspicuous healing result.

BBB[/quote]

sounds interesting. it intrigues me most because my scar is huge.

[quote]DOHCrazy wrote:
Lung removed?

That sucks.[/quote]

you’d think my life would be just about over but my left lung will slowly expand to compensate for the missing one, not completely but quite large.

my breathing is pretty good right now, the only thing stopping me from training is my back pain. i tried doing light weights but then said fuck it and decided to take an entire year to heal it properly.