T Nation

Pain In Upper Shins (Tibial Tuberosity)

Has anyone here experienced a localised pain right below the kneecap and above the shin, on the little knobby bit known as the tibial tuberosity? (at least, if I remember correctly, that’s what it is called)

I was playing football(pick-up at the park) and after a jumping to catch a pass, when I came down, I sort of fell, then got up, I felt this pain as I walked away. Curiously, the pain only existed when I walked in a certain direction, and it was mild.

Does anyone know what this might be? To be fair, it is not the first time I have felt a similar pain in this area, but it usually goes away on its own within a day.

i once jumped up when doing a lay up in basketball and when i got down it was weird… kinda as if my muscles were not working when i hit the ground and my right knee if i remember correct felt a really weird pain and i couldnt walk right.

i dont remember at all what it was exactly but after a few days i was fine

How old are you?

Could be Osgood-Schlatter. It usually only affects you in your early teens, though. Could be later if you go through a late growth spurt.

To the best of my knowledge I am done growing. I’m in my 20s, and have not had a growth spurt since I was 16 or 17. But, reading up on the description of Osgood-Schlatter, it does sound pretty close to what I’m experiencing, except, that what I am experiencing is particularly mild, and there is no visible swelling.

However, it is only, and has only ever been in my right leg, which, for what its worth, is ever so slightly longer than my left leg, which has created some very minor issues in the past.

Oh… wait a second, I just read another description, and it said “most often only one-knee is affected”. Still though, it’s not quite my knee. Hm.

This is an interesting condition I had never heard of before. It sounds very not serious, but the amount of time to recuperate is pretty substantial. Do you have any more information about it?

Im 22 and still suffer from this, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done other than staying off it when it hurts and taking anti-inflamatories and pain meds.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:
To the best of my knowledge I am done growing. I’m in my 20s, and have not had a growth spurt since I was 16 or 17. But, reading up on the description of Osgood-Schlatter, it does sound pretty close to what I’m experiencing, except, that what I am experiencing is particularly mild, and there is no visible swelling.

However, it is only, and has only ever been in my right leg, which, for what its worth, is ever so slightly longer than my left leg, which has created some very minor issues in the past.

Oh… wait a second, I just read another description, and it said “most often only one-knee is affected”. Still though, it’s not quite my knee. Hm.

This is an interesting condition I had never heard of before. It sounds very not serious, but the amount of time to recuperate is pretty substantial. Do you have any more information about it?[/quote]

I had it in my very early teens, just the left knee. I don’t think it is very serious, but it can bother you for a while. I was told to take anti-inflammatories and ice it. Nothing really helped, but it slowly went away after a couple years. The bump on that knee is still noticeably larger, though.

[quote]xdime00 wrote:
Im 22 and still suffer from this, unfortunately there is nothing that can be done other than staying off it when it hurts and taking anti-inflamatories and pain meds.[/quote]

Well apparently it will go away if you stay off it entirely for… upto a year. But that’s lame. Additionally, if the root cause is from growing, it stands to reason that as we get older our bones and muscles will mature more and this thing will stop(assuming that’s what I’m experiencing).

I should also note, it has been a while since I’ve taken any Flameout or anything, which could be partially why it decided to hurt during yesterdays running around.

Reading more, I have found that although growth spurts are the most common cause, another cause is simply from having tight quadriceps, which can be exacerbated by something like weight training without proper mobility training.

Well, I was balls to the wall with my training for about 8 months solid. Perhaps I did too much too quickly, my muscles grew, I did not pay enough respect to mobility(which is not to say I eschewed it entirely) and I ended up with this thing.

Likewise, in that period of time I learned how to dunk a basketball, so there has been an increase in jumping(another potential cause).

And here I thought I had done a good job with slowly progressing, minding form, having adequate rest, and generally doing things ‘right’ as best as I was able. Heh.

Oh well, this ‘condition’, if it is indeed what I’m experiencing, really doesn’t sound all that serious, I’ll jsut start doing more pull-ups. haha