T Nation

Pain in Shoulder from Benching

[quote]Webbykun wrote:
Watch Dave Tate’s six week benchpress cure, he says how benching incorrectly leads to shoulder pain.[/quote]

x2.

Once I changed how I benched, my shoulders never hurt again.

My pain was where the bicep tendon meets the pec tendon. It was bad enough that I couldn’t barbell bench for a few weeks. I had to use neutral grip dumbbell and Hammer Strength machines.

[quote]Webbykun wrote:
Watch Dave Tate’s six week benchpress cure, he says how benching incorrectly leads to shoulder pain.[/quote]

x2.

Once I changed how I benched, my shoulders never hurt again.

My pain was where the bicep tendon meets the pec tendon. It was bad enough that I couldn’t barbell bench for a few weeks. I had to use neutral grip dumbbell and Hammer Strength machines.

Working on the infraspinatus can allow you to hit your middle traps and rhomboids better as well.

osteolysis?

[quote]Shadowzz4 wrote:
bignate wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
bignate wrote:
ok sorry to hijack, but i feel my pain is in a slightly diff area, it runs on top of my shoulder horizontally across down to where the muscle bellies begin to come up, sawa pt for it and they gave me stretches, the one that defranco uses in his upperbody warmup the rotator stretch and i used that and have good flexibility in my right arm whcih is the problem arm but its still there. my left arm is less felxible but pain free, i am a lefty if that means anything. Help with this?
also i do more pulling than pushing, laid off heavy shoulder movements, bench with a tuck and closer grip as to no pinch the area, i do lots of rotator work and rear delt work, face pulls pull aparts, laterals etc…
anythoughts that havent been said so far?

Go back and read what I posted earlier (not the above post, the post on the previous page), it has helped me and many of my clients immensely. I’ve been training others for 6 years and training myself for 10 or so, and it is has made a more resounding impact on my training than anything else I have come across.

read it, i use a baseball and lean against a wall and roll the whole shoulder from the side, then the front which is where i can feel the pain alot and then i roll the pec, is this sufficient or are you descirbing something more
many thanks

If you are on the meat of the deltoid itself, its prob not going to do too much, at least from what I have experienced. You need to be on the back side of your body, on the shoulder blade itself. You will need to play around a bit, but when you find it, the whole infraspinatus will light up. Even people who seemingly have very good internal rotation have issues in the infraspinatus, which, when fixed, will make the joint that much more mobile. Also, I would use a lax ball, (it should be a tacky type of rubber, not slippery, if slippery it wont work) Then you need to do the same on the outer pec. You should be doing all of this on the floor.
[/quote]

i see hwat youre saying, its funny you say that area because that spot has been hurting like a tweaked neck kind of deal but only on my right side and it hastn gone away for about a month, so hopefulyl if i clear that up it will help, ive rolled it before leaning against a wall and man it hurts liek a bitch when you hit the right spot hoep this works out…

[quote]bignate wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
bignate wrote:
Shadowzz4 wrote:
bignate wrote:
ok sorry to hijack, but i feel my pain is in a slightly diff area, it runs on top of my shoulder horizontally across down to where the muscle bellies begin to come up, sawa pt for it and they gave me stretches, the one that defranco uses in his upperbody warmup the rotator stretch and i used that and have good flexibility in my right arm whcih is the problem arm but its still there. my left arm is less felxible but pain free, i am a lefty if that means anything. Help with this?
also i do more pulling than pushing, laid off heavy shoulder movements, bench with a tuck and closer grip as to no pinch the area, i do lots of rotator work and rear delt work, face pulls pull aparts, laterals etc…

Go back and read what I posted earlier (not the above post, the post on the previous page), it has helped me and many of my clients immensely. I’ve been training others for 6 years and training myself for 10 or so, and it is has made a more resounding impact on my training than anything else I have come across.

read it, i use a baseball and lean against a wall and roll the whole shoulder from the side, then the front which is where i can feel the pain alot and then i roll the pec, is this sufficient or are you descirbing something more
many thanks

If you are on the meat of the deltoid itself, its prob not going to do too much, at least from what I have experienced. You need to be on the back side of your body, on the shoulder blade itself. You will need to play around a bit, but when you find it, the whole infraspinatus will light up. Even people who seemingly have very good internal rotation have issues in the infraspinatus, which, when fixed, will make the joint that much more mobile. Also, I would use a lax ball, (it should be a tacky type of rubber, not slippery, if slippery it wont work) Then you need to do the same on the outer pec. You should be doing all of this on the floor.

i see hwat youre saying, its funny you say that area because that spot has been hurting like a tweaked neck kind of deal but only on my right side and it hastn gone away for about a month, so hopefulyl if i clear that up it will help, ive rolled it before leaning against a wall and man it hurts liek a bitch when you hit the right spot hoep this works out…[/quote]

It will definitely help your internal rotation ROM, whether or not it will fix your exact problem I dont know. The important thing to keep in mind is that in general, when dealing with healthy tissue, it wont hurt when kneaded or pressed upon. If it hurts, and the more it hurts, the worse the knot or adhesion probably is and the more restrictive your humerus rotation will be.

[quote]bignate wrote:
challer1 wrote:
bignate wrote:

sounds like the supraspinatus, which can be irritated by just about everything as well… is it just the top of the shoulder or is it also sore to the touch on the front side, like right above the clavicle?

exactly it, what you described is the exact pain i have. Also why would it happen to the more felxible side?[/quote]

If it hurts in front too, above the collar bone, based on what you’ve said about how you’ve tried laying off the pressing, hitting the prehab movements, but it still hurts, I can say with 90% certainty you are “chest breathing.” Sore scalenes (group of neck muscles that sits above the collarbone) is a dead give-away for poor breathing patterns in my book.

Basically what happens is, the average person takes a breath every 5 seconds… this adds up 17000+ times a day. If you are breathing with your chest, i.e. not taking advantage of the diaphragm but instead using the scalenes & traps, you are essentially suffering from a basic overuse injury. The tissue is always irritated in this situation, its just the bench pressing which creates enough force to cause it to hurt.

A quick way you can test this is just lay down, put one hand on your chest and one hand on your stomach, and breathe however way is normally for you. If the hand on the chest is moving instead of the hand on the stomach, you aren’t breathing right. “Straw Breathing” is the best way to fix this, http://www.authentic-breathing.com/straw-breathing.htm . You don’t really need a straw to do it, can just purse your lips.

I find this is most common on the right side, I’m not really sure why. I think it is because the right lung is much bigger than the left lung (heart takes up some lung space on the left side). The fact that you are a lefty and have right shoulder pain corroborates this, but I can’t say for sure.

Sort of ranting there… at any rate, try straw breathing for 3-5 minutes a day, like when you are lying in bed at night about to go to sleep. Might also need to work on some good mobility for the neck, long periods of chest breathing tend to lock the joints up a bit.