T Nation

Pain In Palm When Benching

Whenever I bench press - no matter how heavy the weight - I get a pain in the middle of my palm (sort of like pressing on a bruise).

Anyone got any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks in advance.

It’s most likely a pinched nerve. I’ve had this happen to me a few different times. If it happens all the time, you may want to have it checked out by an ortho.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
It’s most likely a pinched nerve. I’ve had this happen to me a few different times. If it happens all the time, you may want to have it checked out by an ortho.[/quote]

How long will it last?

And how can I prevent it in the future?

try chalking up your hands if you’re not using gloves. also try a thicker bar if possible.

i’ve noticed that trying to grip a bar with sweaty hands will give me a very painful palm. maybe its just me though.

I get that pain too when I benchpress with a bent wrist. To avoid it I benchpress with my wrist totally straight, like when you throw a punch.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I experienced this for a while, then when deadlifting today it got much worse. It didnt hurt while doing the movement, but when I looked down at my palm, there was a fairly large bump that was swollen and slightly bruised.

Anyone have any suggestions to combat this or prevent it in the future?

[quote]questionquestion wrote:

How long will it last?

And how can I prevent it in the future?
[/quote]

EDIT: Didn’t see the date on this.

No one can give a diagnosis over the internet. But swelling can’t be good, even if there is no serious pain. Put some ice on it and after the swelling goes down try doing some light work with it, like squeezing a tennis ball. If the pain isn’t bad and you can function okay just take it easy a few days and see what happens. Going to the doctor is expensive, so you have to make that call. But better to spend a couple of hundred dollars now than a few grand on surgery later.