T Nation

Pain In Left Arm From Squatting?

The other day I was doing squats, and after my sets, my left arm was killing me, all the way from the shoulder to my elbow. I’m not sure if it was from squats or if it was from doing back/biceps the night before, which consisted of pullups, rows, and curls. It’s like a dull pain where my arm is throbbing and it feels really weak/dead. Has anyone ever had something similar to this?

[quote]bosoxschillfan38 wrote:
The other day I was doing squats, and after my sets, my left arm was killing me, all the way from the shoulder to my elbow. I’m not sure if it was from squats or if it was from doing back/biceps the night before, which consisted of pullups, rows, and curls. It’s like a dull pain where my arm is throbbing and it feels really weak/dead. Has anyone ever had something similar to this? [/quote]

if you are low bar squatting the arms are under an extreme amount of pressure to maintain the bar position. i had to switch to a high bar squat because it got so bad i couldn’t even bench without my arms aching. if that’s not an option, look into a good set of elbow sleeves. they help some.

x2 on meat’s suggestions…

Also, do you actively pull DOWN on the bar with your arms when squatting? It wouldn’t surprise me much if you were pushing against the bar with your arms (it’s pretty instinctive for a lot of people), and possibly in conjunction with the previous back/bi workout, strained something badly.

im thinking its from the low bar squatting. i started to do that but only recently have i noticed it starting to bother me.

im not sure what you mean by pulling down on the bar. i like to have my hands close to my shoulders and my elbows are pointing down. is that what you mean?

im thinking its from the low bar squatting. i started to do that but only recently have i noticed it starting to bother me.

im not sure what you mean by pulling down on the bar. i like to have my hands close to my shoulders and my elbows are pointing down. is that what you mean?[/quote]

No, he means to pull the bar into your back.

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

im not sure what you mean by pulling down on the bar. i like to have my hands close to my shoulders and my elbows are pointing down. is that what you mean?[/quote]

CS[/quote]

Is that something you want to do? Wouldn’t pushing it up make the squat easier.

[quote]IFlashBack wrote:

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:

CS[/quote]

Is that something you want to do? Wouldn’t pushing it up make the squat easier. [/quote]
not sure if srs

you want to do two things as it pertains to the bar when you squat- force your neck back into it and force your elbows forward as you drive out of the hole. some newbies will actually do a weird press up on the bar like they are trying to press the bar off their backs. what they should do is pretend someone is standing in front of them with cables attached to their elbows and as they drive out of the hole the person is pulling their elbows forward. this will keep the bar positioned properly, will keep your chest high, will keep you locked in tight and will keep your elbows from drifting backward and “chicken winging” which leads to your chest falling and the weight getting in front of you and then the knees caving and then if you are really unlucky you take a face plant with that bar on top of you.

The other day I was doing squats, and after my sets, my left arm was killing me, all the way from the shoulder to my elbow. I’m not sure if it was from squats or if it was from doing back/biceps the night before, which consisted of pullups, rows, and curls. It’s like a dull pain where my arm is throbbing and it feels really weak/dead. Has anyone ever had something similar to this? [/quote]

I had a similar experience. Long story short, I had a partially torn biceps tendon, a torn rotator cuff and a blown out Labrum all at the same time. I know when the Labrum and Rotator let go but I’m clueless WTF happened to the biceps tendon. It got to the point that squatting with a straight bar was nearly impossible so I bought a Spider bar to go along with my Yoke bar.

The messed up part was my MRI only suggested the torn labrum, the rotator and biceps thing was discovered when doc went in for the Labrum repair.

The funny part is all this damage wasn’t apparent. 2 days before my surgery I benched 315 for 8 reps x 3 sets. Point is hopefully you don’t have a real injury but if you do it’s not the end of the world. Odds are you simply strained something. Work on building up the shoulder muscles You will benefit greatly from doing so.

To piggy back off of what Meat suggested, maybe consider buying a cambered squat bar or a SSB if you train at home. Being able to squat without holding the straight bar helped me tremendously until the rotator shit the bed on me. Maybe attach some straps to a straight bar like Darden does to make handles for the bar. Maybe even consider buying a “Top Squat” device and take it to the gym with you. Hope this helps.

that Top Squat attachment looks awesome . looks like it would perform exactly like a SS bar .

Meat…have you ever used it by any chance ?

or anyone ?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
that Top Squat attachment looks awesome . looks like it would perform exactly like a SS bar .

or anyone ?[/quote]

i’ve never used it but i don’t back squat with a straight bar anymore. i typically use a buffalo bar, SSB or cambered bar now.

or anyone ?[/quote]

I knew a guy who has one. He told me that it keeps the bar in the position that you normally would hold the bar only you get to use the handles. The SSB and the EFS yoke bar has a camber where the weight is out in front of you. With the Top squat it mimics a regular back squat.

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

or anyone ?[/quote]

I knew a guy who has one. He told me that it keeps the bar in the position that you normally would hold the bar only you get to use the handles. The SSB and the EFS yoke bar has a camber where the weight is out in front of you. With the Top squat it mimics a regular back squat.
[/quote]

oh yeah , I forgot about the camber in the SS bar . still though , thats a great tool for the tool bag for anybody with shoulder or elbow issues…at about half the cost .

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:

or anyone ?[/quote]

[/quote]

oh yeah , I forgot about the camber in the SS bar . still though , thats a great tool for the tool bag for anybody with shoulder or elbow issues…at about half the cost .
[/quote]

Yessir, I wish those guys would modify their product so that one could do a front squat with that thing too. THAT would be the shit and I’d be ordering one asap. Maybe I could buy one and weld on pins or something to make that happen then rebrand it the Dowg Bone or something and retire to the Caymans… lol