T Nation

Pain in Crook of Elbow

I've been having pain in the crook of my elbows for about 3 weeks now. I have no idea what it is from. It hurts to do any curl type movement and hurts a bit the first couple sets of pullups, (until i get warmed up), and on the drop of a clean.

Is this some kind of tendon injury?
Should I avoid bicep work until it heals?
What sort of rehab would be good?

The best recommendation would be to see a professional.

It may be the result of general overuse, common with tennis players who experience tennis elbow - lateral epicondylitis or medial epicondylitis.

Quote: "Elbow epicondylitis is not limited to those persons playing tennis, golf, baseball or swimming and can result from any activity that puts the lateral or medial compartments of the elbow under similar repetitive stress and strain (e.g., hammering, turning a key, screw driver use, computer work, excessive hand shaking)."

The following provides some useful information with treating tennis elbow:

They suggest specific phases for recovery. The first being Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

The second phase is stretching and strengthening.

Hope that helps.

A similar thread on T-Nation:

And T-Nation article:

Eccentric Exercise - A Solution to Tendonitis?
by Peter Blanchonette

I have had the same thing. Could not do any curls (especially hammers) and chin-ups also were a killer.

Setting dumbbells down after presses was the culprit. Instead of dropping the dumbbells from a curl position to the floor, I would resist right before they would hit the floor as not to drop them too hard. Not a good thing to do. Don?t resist and let them drop.

I tried everything including backing off all exercises that caused pain (curls, chins, even rows hurt). I did the PT thing, bands and eventually had to do the Cortisone last November. I spent another 2 months avoiding the aforementioned exercises and now I am back to normal. No pain. I do avoid heavy dumbbells and I don't get too aggressive on curls. I will wait a couple of months before doing chins again. I can do Lat pull downs. I don?t want to have to go through the pain again. Even holding a coffee cup would hurt when I put the cup down. Both arms were equally in pain.

Good Luck!

I, too, am currently battling this. And it sucks. A lot.

The straw that broke tha camel's back for me was a (supinated) chin-up. Up to that point, curls had hurt.

The doc gave me Mobic (I believe), which totally wiped it out....until the pills ran out. So now I go easy on bicep-related work and ice it after workouts, and any other time it hurts. On the bright side, I've gotten really good at limiting bicep involvement in rows.

'bills' - so the cortisone shot(s) worked? I'm considering it as a next step, provided the doc suggests it.