T Nation

Pain in Both Calves

About two weeks ago after squatting (I think), I started to get horizontal pain in my right calf about 4" above the heel. The more I walked, the worse it got. 2 Advil completely removed any and all pain. I had no idea why it hurt there, so I thought nothing of it.

Later, I pressed up and down the calf to see if it was tender anywhere, and I found tenderness higher up in the calf on the outside.

I’ve been taking advil with each meal for a week or so now, but the pain has now appeared in my other leg, in the same place! I haven’t squatted since.

Someone said it might be a blood clot, but I’m 20, healthy, and I doubt there is a bloot clot in both legs, in the same place, at the same time. Lately though, I have been doing marathon study sessions for midterms where I sit for long periods of time.

Any advice/helpful info I could provide? This shit is getting annoying and I’m about to just go squat on advil before I go crazy from no lifting :slight_smile:

Also, I have never had any pain below the knee in my life. My calves are exceptionally well-developed and I wear low-top chucks almost everywhere.

Foam roll bottom of foot, calves, hamstrings, and gluts. Along with deep stretches.

Time to bust out the lacrosse ball. :slight_smile:

[quote]absolute3 wrote:
Time to bust out the lacrosse ball. :)[/quote]

Tried to jack one from my school the other day but no luck. I played those “Play till you win” claw grab thing game and got a basketball the size on a lacrosse ball, not as hard but hard enough. I was pretty pumped!

But, yes foam rolling does magic for sore muscles. I would start with that and then reassess. I would not take anymore Advil to actually see if indeed foam rolling is helping and the Advil isn’t just masking the pain.

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:
absolute3 wrote:
Time to bust out the lacrosse ball. :slight_smile:

Tried to jack one from my school the other day but no luck. I played those “Play till you win” claw grab thing game and got a basketball the size on a lacrosse ball, not as hard but hard enough. I was pretty pumped!

But, yes foam rolling does magic for sore muscles. I would start with that and then reassess. I would not take anymore Advil to actually see if indeed foam rolling is helping and the Advil isn’t just masking the pain. [/quote]

I’m still going to take it during the day so that walking to class is possible, but I’ll abstain at night when I can take it easy and do stretches/rolling.

Squatted today and both my legs now hurt like hell.

I’ll be taking a break from leg training until this is fixed.