Pain in Anterior Delt w/Tricep Extension

First Post! If this is not posted in the right place please let me know.

The title pretty much says it all. I perform this exercise bent over a flat bench, with the contralateral leg on the bench (knee down)and the same side leg positioned on the ground (typically very close or touching the bench because I have found the pain is worse with a wider stance). My form is ideal when it comes to my spine (maintained lumbar lordosis, spine parallel to bench, neck in neutral position).

I use a 30 lb. dumbbell usually which feels like the correct weight when I contract my triceps, however I am beginning to believe it may be too heavy causing my anterior deltoid to co-contract with my triceps and overloading the joint and muscle. (Just sortof thinking out loud here)

I noticed the pain most when I have completed my repetitions and am returning the dumbbell to the bench I am using. It is a new-ish pain which I find weird as I have generally exercised for the past 5-6 years, however really amped over the past 8 months. (ie. gained 20 lbs. and dropped BF%) But this exercise has never bothered me before.

Any thoughts/ ideas/ comments are much appreciated!

And sorry about the novel, it must be the excited noob effect.

[quote]Mr.americanboy wrote:
First Post! If this is not posted in the right place please let me know.

The title pretty much says it all. I perform this exercise bent over a flat bench, with the contralateral leg on the bench (knee down)and the same side leg positioned on the ground (typically very close or touching the bench because I have found the pain is worse with a wider stance). My form is ideal when it comes to my spine (maintained lumbar lordosis, spine parallel to bench, neck in neutral position).

I use a 30 lb. dumbbell usually which feels like the correct weight when I contract my triceps, however I am beginning to believe it may be too heavy causing my anterior deltoid to co-contract with my triceps and overloading the joint and muscle. (Just sortof thinking out loud here)

I noticed the pain most when I have completed my repetitions and am returning the dumbbell to the bench I am using. It is a new-ish pain which I find weird as I have generally exercised for the past 5-6 years, however really amped over the past 8 months. (ie. gained 20 lbs. and dropped BF%) But this exercise has never bothered me before.

Any thoughts/ ideas/ comments are much appreciated!

And sorry about the novel, it must be the excited noob effect.
[/quote]

30 pound dbs may be too much. Some of the most impressive bodybuilders I’ve seen use 20-25 pounds. Generally speaking, the tricep kickback is more of a finisher that demands feel and technique. By the time, you get to this (after a proper warm-up and the compound movements), it shouldn’t take much weight to get the job done when doing kickbacks.

Based on the information you provided, I suspect there is forward migration of the humeral head as you are performing this movement. If the db was lighter and your technique was cleaner, you’d do a better job of centering the humeral head within the glenoid fossa. By not doing so, this could cause irritation at the labrum or the bicipital tendon or the ac joint. And when you return the db to the bench, the angle of your humerus in relation to the torso can exacerbate the irritation.

The above observation is just a theory but I hope it gives you a general idea of what the issue potentially can be.

Congratulations. You popped your cherry. You are on the cusp of realizing that, just because you have done an exercise pain-free in the past, there is absolutely no guarantee that you can continue to perform that exercise carte blanche. The gym, and this forum, is over flowing with people who train under this misconception. Maybe they can perform a certain lift all their lives without injury…or maybe they will pay the price for not using their brain.