Pain from Sleeping on Shoulder?

Do most people sleep on their sides? For me its the only comfortable way because on my back sucks and on my stomach is really comfortable but my neck starts to hurt after a few min. so i sleep on my side, switching between the 2.

Sometimes that kills my shoulders though. Generally its not a big problem and goes away after a little bit but i’m worried it will get worse as sometimes i wake up actually in pain in the shoulder im on and right now its pretty uncomfortable.

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
Do most people sleep on their sides? For me its the only comfortable way because on my back sucks and on my stomach is really comfortable but my neck starts to hurt after a few min. so i sleep on my side, switching between the 2.

Sometimes that kills my shoulders though. Generally its not a big problem and goes away after a little bit but i’m worried it will get worse as sometimes i wake up actually in pain in the shoulder im on and right now its pretty uncomfortable.[/quote]

Then you better not get “too huge” accidentally (hehehehe), because at the weight some of us here are carrying, sleeping on the shoulder all the time at some point leads to serious damage and ultimately atrophy of one arm, nerve damage and whatnot…

I’d say learn to sleep on your back (demands a real good pillow with a certain shape, in my case), or maybe have some complicated pillow setup to keep you in a semi-turned position if that’s your cup of tea…

Amen Carnage…adjust to sleeping on you back!!!

damn so it really can become a problem? I thought pretty much everyone slept like that. Sleeping on my back is so uncomfortable. or not even uncomfortable but i just can’t seem to fall asleep that way unless im exhausted.

How would it lead to atrophy?

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
damn so it really can become a problem? I thought pretty much everyone slept like that. Sleeping on my back is so uncomfortable. or not even uncomfortable but i just can’t seem to fall asleep that way unless im exhausted.

How would it lead to atrophy?[/quote]

I’m not a doctor, you should ask Professor X for the details (maybe).
It compresses blood supply/nerve supply somewhere around your scapula and that does it (I think, I could read up on it, but I’m too lazy now :wink:

Don’t take my word for it, you could pay IM a visit, there’s a thread there about Dante having that issue (lost most of the strength in one arm etc, was rehabbing it but dunno how it went).

Just get a little creative with sleeping on your back, I understand the issue, had it too, but now I’m fine.

You should look around a few serious bb forums (like IM) were there are more than a hand full of large guys…
There should be more threads about how to make it more comfortable to sleep on your back etc.
My English isn’t good enough to really describe how I do it, sry :confused:

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

It compresses blood supply/nerve supply somewhere around your scapula and that does it (I think, I could read up on it, but I’m too lazy now :wink:
[/quote]

lol isn’t he a dentist or something?

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

Don’t take my word for it, you could pay IM a visit, there’s a thread there about Dante having that issue (lost most of the strength in one arm etc, was rehabbing it but dunno how it went).

Just get a little creative with sleeping on your back, I understand the issue, had it too, but now I’m fine.

You should look around a few serious bb forums (like IM) were there are more than a hand full of large guys…
There should be more threads about how to make it more comfortable to sleep on your back etc.
My English isn’t good enough to really describe how I do it, sry :/[/quote]

ok thanks, i’m really not even that big but its already hurting so i guess it would be better to deal with it now. I’m glad i asked. Another reason i like sleeping on my side is because i can somewhat “curl up” which i obviously can’t do on my back.

By the way your english seems good, i never noticed any indication before that you weren’t completely fluent. Where are you from?

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

lol isn’t he a dentist or something?

Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

My English isn’t good enough to really describe how I do it, sry :confused:

ok thanks, i’m really not even that big but its already hurting so i guess it would be better to deal with it now. I’m glad i asked. Another reason i like sleeping on my side is because i can somewhat “curl up” which i obviously can’t do on my back.

By the way your english seems good, i never noticed any indication before that you weren’t completely fluent. Where are you from?[/quote]

Thank you.
Germany, just as it says under my screen name :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I used to get pain in my shoulders and collarbones from sleeping on my sides, so I had to stop doing that.

If sleeping on your back isn’t comfortable, try putting a pillow under your knees. I used to wake up with a very stiff and sore lower back, but since I started sleeping with a pillow under the knees the discomfort in my lower back went away.

Like Carnage said, you might have to get a little creative with pillow placement or even experiment with different types of pillows before you get to a point where it’s really comfortable.

Stop sleeping on your shoulder. I badly strained my rotator cuff from it. It hurt like hell just to abduct my arm for 2 weeks.

I had this same problem, waking up in the morning with a sore shoulder…I finally started sleeping on my back rather than my side a few weeks ago and I agree with Vader on the pillow experimentation. I usually put one under my knees, maaybe a bit higher. It certainly makes a difference in how I wake up in the morning.

It will take a bit of time to get used to but I’ve found that listening to a CD of Pink Floyd (Wish You Were Here is my personal favorite) on my Ipod or something similar is perfect to fall asleep to if I’m feeling restless. As you are sleeping on your back, your headphones likely won’t cause any uncomfortability. Or if you’re not sharing a room with anyone, you might as well put a speaker next to your bed and play it on low.

I got the same exact problem. Had surgery on my left shoulder so now I sleep mostly on my right side. Can barely lift my right arm now from the shoulder pain. Anoyone know what it actually does to the shoulder to make it stiff and painfull like this? How do you fix it other than starting to sleep on my back?

Dude, same thing happened to me the other night, the pain was like a wierd sharp pain that would only occur when my shoulder would swing from top down to the front, it was crazy. Gone away in a day or two though.

To learn how to sleep on your back – wear cargo shorts to bed and put tennis/golf balls in your side and front pockets.

i get shoulder pain too when i sleep on my sides cuz i like to sleep with one arm under my pillow and my head resting on the pillow directly over my shoulder, kinda weird, but comfy as hell… until i wake up in the morning with a stiff shoulder =(

even when i fall asleep on my back i usually turn over on my side during the night so maybe the tennis ball/ cargo short idea would be helpful… or maybe ill just have sore legs to go with my sore shoulders! hahah lol

I can’t sleep on my sides, arms go numb and shoulders hurt like hell. Never had this problem until I started putting on size…

i tried sleeping on my back last night…worked at first but i noticed in the middle of the night i was just like “fuck it” and went to my side. It felt so good lol

I can sleep standing up… I’m not even kidding.

But I always fall asleep on my stomach, and wake up on my back. Never had any problem. I have experienced trap stiffness though…

I also used to sleep exclusively on my sides, but lately I’ve been having some pain in my collarbone etc when I did.

What I did was basically to sleep somewhere between the side and on my back. My knees are bent and still facing one side, and my head is also on the side. I usually put my blanket up against my back to keep me from rolling all the way to my back though.

This sounds really weird when I wrote it down. Ah well

[quote]Zund wrote:
I also used to sleep exclusively on my sides, but lately I’ve been having some pain in my collarbone etc when I did.

What I did was basically to sleep somewhere between the side and on my back. My knees are bent and still facing one side, and my head is also on the side. I usually put my blanket up against my back to keep me from rolling all the way to my back though.

This sounds really weird when I wrote it down. Ah well[/quote]

i know exactly what you mean, its what i was doing last night actually and it was still pretty good

[quote]pachell wrote:
I can’t sleep on my sides, arms go numb and shoulders hurt like hell. Never had this problem until I started putting on size…[/quote]

Damn I was hoping if my muscles got harder/denser, maybe the arteries would be stronger and I wouldn’t have numb hands and arms in the middle of the night.

Thanks for posing this question, guess I’m going to have to learn how to sleep on my back. Did anybody use sleeping pills to learn how to do this?