Pain From Preacher Curls

Didn’t know where to post this but just curious if anyone had some input… or could relate, from close grip seated preacher curls i have been getting the worst pain in the outside of my forearms, (almost like shinsplints)… it sucks and is effecting my grip in other exercises!..is this a weak grip or forearm strength problem on my part? just looking for some advice.

Quit doing Preacher Curls, if you get a pain from doing them.

My forearms don’t like doing them either (nothing serious atm, but better safe than sorry)
A lot of people get pain from especially straight-bar curls.

You are looking tendonitis in the face. Drop preacher curls for at least two weeks as tendons take longer than muscle to heal. Then go back to a normal width grip, and don’t hyperextend either. That is the leading cause of biceps tendon separations.

thanx for the input… i use the E-Z bar with a close grip, and the last thing i want to do is stop for two weeks , but i think this may be my only option. ive been reduced to using straps for deads and other heavy lifts because my grip is effected. once again thanks all!

I had the same thing happen to me for a while, it probably is tendonitis. I had the pain in my forearms especially when doing straight bar/preacher bar curls, here is my advice:

You dont need to stop doing any curls,
I dropped all my weight for straight bar curls / preacher curls and other curls so i did more reps with alot lighter weight after about a month i had worked back up to heavy weight and now i have not had any pain or problems with my forearms 2-3 months later.

Just what i did! Hope it helps

I had a similar problem occur and it is not tendonitis. I’m 99% sure your forearm flexors are much stronger than your extensors. This causes them to tighten up which HURTS when you do straight-bar or preacher curls.

The solution, which has cured me in about a week and a half, is to train your forearm extensors by doing reverse db forearm curls, reverse forearm preacher curls, and reverse curls. Add one of those exercises to the end of each workout while varying the set-rep scheme.

Ex.
end of workout 1 - do 6x6 reverse curls
end of workout 2 - do 3x15 reverse preacher curls
end of workout 3 - do 2x25 reverse db forearm curls.
end of workout 4 - repeat cycle, making sure to progress in either volume or weight.

You will make strength gains quickly since you have not trained them directly before. As a side bonus your forearms will grow larger.

Please try this for 2 weeks. I had severe forearm pain just last week and this week I can straight bar curl almost without pain.

[quote]caneman wrote:
I had a similar problem occur and it is not tendonitis. I’m 99% sure your forearm flexors are much stronger than your extensors. This causes them to tighten up which HURTS when you do straight-bar or preacher curls. [/quote]

You are probably right, thoug we’d need to know where exactly the OP feels the pain.

I feel no pain when doing preacher curls, but when I first started doing reverse-grip curls (palms pronated), it hurt like hell. There was pain down my entire outside forearm area. The pain went away once the muscles responded to the stimulus.

Tendinitis (which I’ve had the pleasure of dealing with) is concentrated at the tendons. That so many people were able to diagnose tendinitis without knowing where the pain was located amazed me.

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
That so many people were able to diagnose tendinitis without knowing where the pain was located amazed me.[/quote]

I’m sure if the OP provided any more information, they would be more than able to inform him of his postural issues, as well.

awsome input…i will opt to try strengthening my forearms first with a few exercises, in the past when making gains there is always pain ya know…so id rather work through it than exept that somethings wrong. plus i personally feal i could use more stregth in my forearms. also i will definitely check form as well. …thanks

[quote]conner wrote:
CaliforniaLaw wrote:
That so many people were able to diagnose tendinitis without knowing where the pain was located amazed me.

I’m sure if the OP provided any more information, they would be more than able to inform him of his postural issues, as well.[/quote]

Yeah, the medical diagnostic/postural imbalance stuff is getting old. I actually have quite a bit of formal education in that area, as well as education stemming from injuries for my own horrible injuries. But I still don’t diagnose people.

Yet people think reading a couple of articles makes them qualified to diagnose medical conditions? A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Stop doing them. How does it feel with dumbbells?
May have to treat it with ice and NSAID’s.

How is your insurance?
How does that area feel the rest of the day?
Palpable pain?
One side or both? if both equal or one side worse?
inflammation?

I don’t care for preacher curls for the same reason.

I’ve had some issues with wrists, as I have relatively small wrists and a weak grip naturally. I found that doing light sets of 25-30 reps of preacher curls and reverse curls helped me quite a bit. If it hurts don’t do it.

I wasnt trying to diagnose him im just saying i went to the doc’s and found thats what he thought i had.

Funny thing is he said it usually is in lifters Elbows that causes pain to shoot through the forearm and alot of people think it is something wrong with their forearm/wrists when actually its a nerve from the elbow, i thought that was interesting, so i tried to watch my form more closely while doing ropes / tri exercises.

I do my ez curls with a reverse grip and it solves my problems.